Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
I am just finishing up installing a 5KW Chinese diesel unit forced air heater in my bus. It is a rear engine bus. I mounted the heater low on the firewall, almost by the floor and routed the exhaust out through the firewall and caused it to exit through the driver side access door to the engine compartment. My intention is to build a lofted bed platform over the part of the engine compartment that sticks out into the passenger compartment and then enclose an area ending about 12 feet forward from the back while I continue working my way to the front. I fired the heater briefly after I installed it, but I have not actually run it for any length of time. Insulating that 12 foot area, floor first and then walls and ceilingAre high on my agenda.
Nice. Same plan here only I want a diesel fired coolant heater. Price is a hell of a lot higher than the air version. Grrr.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:47 AM   #102
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Never priced the coolant versions ... any idea? (Sure, I probably could search myself ... )
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:33 AM   #103
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Never priced the coolant versions ... any idea? (Sure, I probably could search myself ... )
From what I'm seeing way too much. From $600 to $2400.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #104
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my diesel coolant heater (oh yeah damnit its cold and where is it? still in the box brand new.. that makes what 3 years now since i got it?).. oh anyway.. says it can be mounted outside but not to be mounted in direct spray of the tires.. they suggest bolting it to a frame rail underneath the bus and plumbing coolant lines into it.. if i was using an air heater id want it mounted inside or use insulated pipe to plumb in the air ducting..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #105
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Nice. Same plan here only I want a diesel fired coolant heater. Price is a hell of a lot higher than the air version. Grrr.
I got my Webasto Scholastic 45k BTU coolant heater on eBay for around $400 shipped.

Keep an eye out. They show up from time to time.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #106
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
My bus already has a Webasto DBW 2010 installed but it hasn't been used in YEARS....control panel lights up and the water pump kicks on but no smoke or any sign of ignition.

I'll have to change the fuel filter and clean out the nozzle, see if that does it. Hopefully it doesn't need any parts beyond that because Webasto parts are $$$$$
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #107
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
A coolant heater would be a great investment, even if you have to buy a genuine Webasto. I once operated a class 8 rig with an APU that consisted of a three cylinder Kubota diesel engine, liquid cooled, that was plumbed into the main engine coolant system. It also had an air conditioning compressor for a separate air conditioning set-up in the sleeper and an alternator/generator to provide power for general purposes.The Kubota by itself did not generate enough heat to warm the coolant sufficiently. An electric coolant heater was also installed which got its electricity from the APU. Together that raised the coolant temperature high enough that you could also heat the cab using the truck’s built in heaters. I had the opportunity to test it down to about 0°F, and I can say that it worked. There are not many 18 wheelers going down the road these days without an APU. At roughly $10-$15,000 new I don’t think we are going to be seeing too many of these installed in skoolies, but it’s something to keep an eye out for on the used market.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #108
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Hi,

For all that have one of these Chinese heaters: have a look at the Afterburner

It adds some much improved control options. Ray, the guys who designed these (and sells them), is still very actively developing them. There is a dedicated Facebook group just for Afterburner users with a much better S/N ratio then the main Chinese Heater group.

Note that very recently a new version of the control board used in the heaters has come out, and it's NOT compatible with the Afterburner.

Bas
brijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #109
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brijn View Post
Hi,

For all that have one of these Chinese heaters: have a look at the Afterburner

It adds some much improved control options. Ray, the guys who designed these (and sells them), is still very actively developing them. There is a dedicated Facebook group just for Afterburner users with a much better S/N ratio then the main Chinese Heater group.

Note that very recently a new version of the control board used in the heaters has come out, and it's NOT compatible with the Afterburner.

Bas
Looks interesting ... but how do you buy one?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #110
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Looks interesting ... but how do you buy one?
Join the group and DM Ray. He is currently waiting on more parts to come in. He is just a single guy (with a day job) building these
Old 11-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #111
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my diesel coolant heater (oh yeah damnit its cold and where is it? still in the box brand new.. that makes what 3 years now since i got it?)..
Wanna sell it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I got my Webasto Scholastic 45k BTU coolant heater on eBay for around $400 shipped.

Keep an eye out. They show up from time to time.
I have an auto search on Gov-deals that doesn't find much of nothing. I'd love to get my hands on one for $400. If you see one, drop everything. Send me an email, text, telegram, phone call and smoke signals!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I'll have to change the fuel filter and clean out the nozzle, see if that does it. Hopefully it doesn't need any parts beyond that because Webasto parts are $$$$$
Hmm, these things even have a standard? Are they carbed, fuel injected, what? Hadn't even thought about it until now.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #112
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Hmm, these things even have a standard? Are they carbed, fuel injected, what? Hadn't even thought about it until now.
There's no cylinder, it isn't a motor. There's a combustion chamber where fuel from the main tank is injected. A very high voltage spark ignites the fuel and starts the process. Coolant flows through the combustion chamber and it heats.

Usually if these things sit for long periods of time the nozzle that the fuel gets sprayed through will clog up. There's also a dedicated fuel filter for the Webasto that I'm replacing as well. The service manual also says there's a flame window inside the combustion chamber that needs to be cleaned as well. I'm hoping that's all it takes to get it running again!
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I just bought another 5kw unit for my new bus. Found a seller on Ebay who ships from the US for half the price I paid for the one I bought a year ago, while adding the remote control and a muffler we eventually purchased separately. Meanwhile we just got to an event in Ocala where we might find it cold enough at night to run it! Below 50 degrees I get an ear full from Hillary...
Old 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #114
Almost There

I had very poor luck with Ebay. I ordered three times from different sellers, and in the end got one.

Aliexpress worked much better for me.

Bas
Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #115
Bus Geek

Well I ordered it yesterday and got a tracking number todays so I'm feeling OK so far! The last one I bought was from Amazon and I know these things are basically all the same except for the accessories in the box!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #116
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Is the consensus that the 'cheap' chinese air heaters are safe and efficient enough? I'm guessing they're webastco copies...

Or if you're into exploring junkyards is it better to get a used system off a tractor trailer? 'Used' meaning name-brand with service/repair parts available.

I would be leary of plumbing a 'cheap' unit into my buses engine -- I wouldn't want anything that could damage or reduce the reliability of my engine...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #117
Bus Geek

The Chinese ones have parts available as well. I am very pleased with mine and recommend them to everyone.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #118
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Is the consensus that the 'cheap' chinese air heaters are safe and efficient enough? I'm guessing they're webastco copies...

Or if you're into exploring junkyards is it better to get a used system off a tractor trailer? 'Used' meaning name-brand with service/repair parts available.

I would be leary of plumbing a 'cheap' unit into my buses engine -- I wouldn't want anything that could damage or reduce the reliability of my engine...
Don't they only use the bus fuel for power, it's not connected to the motor?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #119
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I just bought another 5kw unit for my new bus. Found a seller on Ebay who ships from the US for half the price I paid for the one I bought a year ago, while adding the remote control and a muffler we eventually purchased separately. Meanwhile we just got to an event in Ocala where we might find it cold enough at night to run it! Below 50 degrees I get an ear full from Hillary...
Coolant or air?

At 50°, Hillary would get an open window!!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #120
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Don't they only use the bus fuel for power, it's not connected to the motor?
Most come with a hose, filter, and a fuel pump. I would assume fancy ones (expensive) might have their own tank as well?