Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas 5 window w/o wheelchair lift.
Chassis: 2002 Ford e450
Engine: Powerstroke 7.3
Thomas Short Bus Air Conditioner removal

Have a 2002 Ford E450 with a Thomas Minotour 5 window bus body on back. I has an AC unit in the back and the unit under the bus behind the drivers seat. I would like to remove both of these units in due to the need for hot water for the heater from the motor and to put a unit that runs off the RV power.

I already know I'm going to cut the hot water lines that run under the bus from the block to the back. What I do not know is do I have to evacuate the freon from the main AC system, or is the AC in the back on a seperate AC / freon system and I will have to evac. that one too. The reason I ask is in the bus, when I flip the AC rocker switch on the acc. panel, the AC does not come on. I have to turn the AC dial on the dash to AC for the system in the back to turn on too. If I have to evac the AC, I should be able to go to any garage that handles AC, or even an HVAC contractor (it is a Carrier system).

What I want to end up with is a AC / heater for the front (drivers) section of the bus and have a propane heater for the back part, or even a heat pump system (use the space under and behind the drivers seat for the outside unit). Thanks

caeastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you have to turn the dashboard A/C on to get the rear iunit workiong, you have a factory Tie-in system.. the unit outside under the bus is your condensor.. you likely domnt have a condensor in front of your radiator.. you will only have one freon circuit that needs evacuated.. then you will need to obntain a front mounted condensor and lines from a ford van to install in place of the rear outside under-bus unit.. then you can have your dashboard Air conditioner and remove the rear system.. (inside and outside units)
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

So my best and cheapest bet is to evacuate the freon, and just tie the in an out line from the under bus unit and recharge the system.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

How many out there just said the heck with it and left it in?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your easiest route to keep the dashboard A/C is to re-use the under-bus condensor .. however that said.. there are plenty of E-series vans in the boneyard that had factory dash-only A/C where you could pull lines , condensor, etc and rebuild yoiur dash A/C as it wouldve been on a factory van. that gives you the under-bus space where your condensor was if you need it for storage / tanks, etc.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote