Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Top Loading Washers

This is a thread dedicated to top load washing machines

Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Hello

So let's play civil as possible, there were a few posters that are close to being deemed a troll around here

SO on that note, OP I will give this advise, the folks that I know and have met on the road DO NOT like front loaders

These are 5th wheelers and RV'ers

The reason I keep hearing is that the vehicles "flex to much" which cause the seals to wear/rub or just not seal because the surfaces are not square after leveling home (forcing the body to twist with jacks and drive up on blocks)
They seem to be fine if installed in level driveway and the camp spot is the same

With that I will also add any combo unit is junk if you wash more than 2 pairs of socks and underwear at same time, they will not dry 2 pairs of jeans

As to how much flex do we have? front to back the frame is very strong to up/down loads and side loads/impacts

BUT, if they were stiff they would crack in the middle or at suspension mounting points

if you drive up on a block with say right front and left rear, that would twist body enough to not allow interior doors or cabinets to open and close, this is one reason being level helps when camping

We have a wall separating front/back living areas, it is setup like a home door clearance wise, depending on road/lot surface we have had it so door can not open or close, so we look to see what is low or high and we d=add blocks under tires to fix it

Just things to think about

I wonder if keeping a thin layer of KY jelly on the seal would help?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
We had a compact top load washer in the 5th wheel trailer that we lived full time in.

We could only use it while on full hookups. The water consumption and grey water generated made it impractical to use otherwise.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

The best home washer to have in my opinion, if you can find one, is the old style top loader with the full manual controls and the load stabilizing bands inside. I have a matched pair of Estate washer and dryer made by Whirlpool in an old early 60's mobile home that is very unlevel and has constant issues due to settling and ground movement.They were made around early 2000's. The feet on the front are adjustable and the rear feet are on springs and compensate for off-level conditions. They are easy to work on and RepairClinic.com has every part to rebuild them. Mine sat on a covered porch for a few years at my SO's mother's house. She used them almost daily. We got them about 10 years ago. I've made three easy and cheap repairs since. The first was a lid switch at $15, the second was the agitator paws, the kit with new agitator top was $25 shipped, and the most recent thing was the motor to transmission coupler at $16. Each one of these repairs was done in under a half hour by me. We use ours on the daily since we've gotten them.

Oh, depending on the model, they range from 4 cubic feet to 4.5 cubic feet. The cases are the same size.

They looked similar to this.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Op I know you specifically wanted only top loading, but this is all good info that I believe is in good faith
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote