Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Upright freezer as refrigerator

Hi all. There's an interesting article out there where a guy took a chest freezer and converted it into a very efficient refrigerator by plugging it into a separate temperature controller that would just toggle the freezer on and off to maintain fridge temperatures. (Whew... long sentence!)

My more important half is not interested in digging through a chest freezer. Still, freezers generally have better insulation than refrigerators so I'm considering the conversion of an upright.

IGLOO 6.5 cu. ft. Upright Freezer in White-FRF690 - The Home Depot

The model above is inexpensive and has a one year warranty. I already have this controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Docooler®-Temp...ure+controller

The shelves all have coolant lines running through them so they can't be moved around and it doesn't look like a gallon milk container is gonna fit in there but I like the size and shape. We can work around the shelf depth.

What do you think?

Ross

rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have seen quite a few chest type freezers successfully converted to very efficient fridges using a simple controller, just not an upright. Only disadvantage there is "losing your cool" every time the door is opened. With a chest type the loss is absolutely minimal.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Yes it spills cold air. No different than a normal fridge. But the wife won't have a chest freezer. That's a negatory. Thank you for your comments!

Is there something better?

More comments please.

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I hadn't considered whether a freezer might be built with better insulation than a refrigerator is. Without challenging your assertion that "freezers generally have better insulation" -- well, ok, I'm challenging it but in a friendly way -- I wouldn't make the assumption that freezers are better just because they have to be colder inside. So, uncertainty about the basic premise aside..

The shelves could get pretty cold. That might cause frost damage to delicate foods that wouldn't ordinarily be damaged in a forced-air fridge with the same air temperature setpoint. I'm thinking of produce, maybe some dairy, etc. These things might have to be put on an insulator to protect them from the cold shelf.

What about the location of the condenser? The two upright freezers I've owned both had their condenser buried under the skin of the appliance, whereas the refrigerators I've owned had an exposed condenser mounted to the back or under the bottom, sometimes with a fan to help them shed heat. Depending on how you built around the unit one condenser style/location or the other might be preferable (or entirely unworkable).

I have no idea at what point the efficiency improvement of better wall insulation, whether a better-built unit or added by the user, is dwarfed by the number and duration of door-open air changes per day.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
This is exactly the reason I got rid of the wife and bought the chest freezer.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote