Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I have two induction cooktops similar to TrailLifeBill uses. I dropped them down into the countertop. I also have a convection/microwave combo.

Microwave is under the counter.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have friends and family in OK and TX and that has turned into a running joke. Living in states with mountains that hit 14000 ft we feel compelled to pick on our friends and family.

I get that. If I ever went to Everest, I probably wouldn't think my mom lives on a mountain either. The world is all about perspective
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
This is a yeast bread mix, but you should be able to use it like flour if you used your own baking soda and add a couple eggs. Don’t add salt.

Quick breads would be best using a buttermilk pre-mix for pancakes, biscuits or even cobblers. Also available in 20 lb bags, but who can eat that many pancakes?

I don't usually use mixes, but it's a little different cooking in a bus. I don't mind the cooking but the cleanup is another story.

I was making sourdough bread from scratch in this bus in the beginning. That also smells very good if you like that yeasty brewer smell. Now it’s just the pizza mix, which is also available in gluten free. A 5 gallon plastic food storage bucket holds a 20 lb sack of mix easily. This pizza dough mix will go stale on you after about a year as it does have oil in the mix. It’s pretty easy to use up though. It makes an excellent pizza, of all things. A little spaghetti sauce, some veggies and a sprinkle of cheese. Smells even better than just pocket bread. I'm still amazed my toaster oven is holding up to all this.

I’ve only been able to give away about a gallon of jam so far, so I’m pretty sure there will be a lot of blackberry cobblers in my future. I’ve still got whole frozen berries to deal with – not enough for a batch of jam. Picked 11 gallons last year just from my driveway.
Me! I can eat that many pancakes. I would most likely use a 20lb bag before the year ended. I love baking and don't typically use mixes either. I make my own and love experimenting. But I can experiment with the pizza mix and see what I can do with it.

11 gallons!! Whoa. I'm lucky to grab a handful some seasons before the deer eat all the berries at my mom's place lol
Old 02-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I have two induction cooktops similar to TrailLifeBill uses. I dropped them down into the countertop. I also have a convection/microwave combo.

I am leaning towards this idea as well when I get to my build. I was considering sinking the stove top down and having a cutting board that covered it when not in use.. more counter top and since it only works with metal it should be safe to cover.

Between this and an InstantPot I think that will be all I need.

James
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post

The drop in is a beautiful set up. Apparently my fiance already thought of that because his grandpa used a drop in camp stove in his trailer as well. But I am glad that I am in the right direction not thinking I absolutely need an oven. So that makes me very happy.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Two burner NuWave induction cooktop, microwave/convection oven combo, and a tiny little George Foreman type thing indoors. A gas BBQ and dutch oven (using charcoal) outdoors. An electric coffee maker as well. (I have an all electric coach)

I tend to use the BBQ a lot during the warmer months - even for breakfast type things using a cast iron skillet. The dutch oven is generally too large for just me but when I have company it is excellent. Toss a handful of charcoal briquettes under and on top and a while later you have a steaming hot meal - or wonderful desert like peach cobbler!

Your decision should include what power sources you have available. An induction cooktop and microwave/convection oven both work well but take lots of 120 VAC power which you may not have available when boondocking (if you plan to do much of that). Propane is a wonderful source of cooking heat (cooktop and oven) if you have a propane system.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #27
Skoolie

You really should look into the following...

#1. Propane camp stove.
#2. Coleman folding camp oven that goes on that stove for the baked goods...
#3. Instant Pot. (Forget your crock pot).

Grilling over a camp fire is great, but REALLY hard to do in a driving rain.... You really should have a way to cook inside when needed...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
You really should look into the following...

#1. Propane camp stove.
#2. Coleman folding camp oven that goes on that stove for the baked goods...
#3. Instant Pot. (Forget your crock pot).

Grilling over a camp fire is great, but REALLY hard to do in a driving rain.... You really should have a way to cook inside when needed...

Ha, yes it is extremely hard I would not even try to do that.

I'm not sure what all an instant pot can do, but I prefer my meats to be slow cooked and that is typically what I put in it. Chicken for tacos, or pork for pulled pork and then hamburger for meatballs and such. Does an instant pot do the same things????
And I need a coleman oven, sounds amazing and exactly what I need.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
According to the information I have looked at, the Instant Pot will slow cook, pressure cook, bake, simmer, boil and bring about World peace.

Well.... The last one may be a stretch....

It really does look like a worthwhile addition to the compact kitchen. I am going to try one out.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
According to the information I have looked at, the Instant Pot will slow cook, pressure cook, bake, simmer, boil and bring about World peace.

It really does look like a worthwhile addition to the compact kitchen. I am going to try one out.
Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker,...

For the same footprint, and similar energy draw you get your slow cooker, PLUS a bunch of other functions. And honestly, there are TONS of times I have had to toss together something on the pressure settings just to get a healthy dinner done quickly when we forgot to toss something in to slow cook earlier in the day....
Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker,...

For the same footprint, and similar energy draw you get your slow cooker, PLUS a bunch of other functions. And honestly, there are TONS of times I have had to toss together something on the pressure settings just to get a healthy dinner done quickly when we forgot to toss something in to slow cook earlier in the day....
By any chance have you put your Kill-A-Watt on it to see what actual power consumption is for various cooking functions?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Ideal excess power load dump, start cooking once the bank reaches 90% if you still have hours of charging left.

If the charge source is still putting the lower amps into the bank needed for charging.

Or just use while dino juice happens to be burning anyway.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
By any chance have you put your Kill-A-Watt on it to see what actual power consumption is for various cooking functions?
Nope. Don't even have one. I unplug the Instant Pot when not in use...
Old 03-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Wow, I had no idea it had so many functions. What about the ones that are exploding or melting? Is that just user error or specific brands?
I tend to shy away from anything that says instant (I don't even cook instant oatmeal), but I might have to see if I can find one cheap. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nope. Don't even have one. I unplug the Instant Pot when not in use...
I would unplug when not in use as well.

What I am curious about is how much power it consumes while it is in operation. If it was a 100% duty cycle device then you could get a good idea from the wattage indicated in the manufacturer info. However, it is not 100% duty cycle. If we want to see if it is practical to run from battery/inverter we need real world power consumption numbers.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
I would unplug when not in use as well.

What I am curious about is how much power it consumes while it is in operation. If it was a 100% duty cycle device then you could get a good idea from the wattage indicated in the manufacturer info. However, it is not 100% duty cycle. If we want to see if it is practical to run from battery/inverter we need real world power consumption numbers.
Not really sure. What I do know is a good number of off grid / boondockers use them. Check out "The Freedom Theory" folks on Youtube. They have been using one in their fifth wheel for a few years now...
Old 03-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I bought a camp stove / oven. It is propane. I love it works great. I have the connectors to hook to a 20lb tank - but so far have just been using the small green camp canisters.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam...ove+oven&psc=1

I have used it full time in the bus for about 5 months - and really like that it is portable and can be used inside - or brought out in the hot Florida winters (or summers).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 7.03.44 PM.png
Views:	30
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	19703
Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #38
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I bought a camp stove / oven. It is propane. I love it works great. I have the connectors to hook to a 20lb tank - but so far have just been using the small green camp canisters.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam...ove+oven&psc=1

I have used it full time in the bus for about 5 months - and really like that it is portable and can be used inside - or brought out in the hot Florida winters (or summers).

Attachment 19703
I've looked at those over the last few years. They are intriguing, but I am a bit concerned about the BTU ratings.

Compared to the lowest end model Coleman Propane stove which has 2 10K BTU burners, that has 7.5K BTU burners (25% lower output) and a 3K BTU oven.

So paper ratings not withstanding, how well do those actually work in real world use?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySkool View Post
My partially converted bus has no oven/stove. I am debating on whether or not I need one or what else you use to cook your food.

I have a microwave (don't know if I want it on the bus).
I have a griddle/grill (definitely taking).
And I have a crockpot (definitely taking).

I plan on getting a propane camp stove.

I do plan on living on the bus for quite a while with my two kids and fiance.
We will cook what we can over fires

Do you think what I have is sufficient?
What do you use to cook with for your family if you don't have an oven/stove?

Thanks for the help!
The propane campstoves are ok.I guess but you have to buy the bottles. I have an unleaded one that I will happily pump up and fix you some bacon and eggs on or fry chicken or pork chops its like half of a stove top. Oh and with a factory windscreen included at no charge.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
I put a drop in two burner propane stove and convection microwave in my last bus. It worked fairly well but I found that I did not use the convection cook feature much.

I am considering one of the electric crock pot/pressure cookers for my new build.

I also, look forward to hearing what others are using.
Nothing like the smell off a running crock! Beef stew anyone?
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, food, oven/stove