Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wait.. didnt you say your dash air is electric?? why not just use a generator to ru nthat dash air when parked... if its truly electric and doesnt use the ewngine you can run that off a generator and use it for both purposes..
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wait.. didnt you say your dash air is electric?? why not just use a generator to ru nthat dash air when parked... if its truly electric and doesnt use the ewngine you can run that off a generator and use it for both purposes..
-Christopher
That’s correct. The dash air runs off a non-belt driven compressor, so it has to be electric. I’ll have to find out how to tap into that power line to power from something other than the engine. Hopefully not as complicated as it sounds...

I would assume I would still need an aux air set-up to run as well when the dash air is running, whether the vehicle engine is running or not.
Fjatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjatheart View Post
That’s correct. The dash air runs off a non-belt driven compressor, so it has to be electric. I’ll have to find out how to tap into that power line to power from something other than the engine. Hopefully not as complicated as it sounds...

I would assume I would still need an aux air set-up to run as well when the dash air is running, whether the vehicle engine is running or not.
Can you share with us the manufacturer and model of that electric compressor?

I could sure use one of those.

Thanks.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Can you share with us the manufacturer and model of that electric compressor?

I could sure use one of those.

Thanks.

It's covered within this black box. I'll look around and see if I can get the make and model off the condenser. It's installed on a 2003, 7.3 E450. I assume World Trans, the body manufacturer, ordered it this way so they could install the belt driven compressor to run the aux Omega bus air.

I'll let you know what I find.
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown-1.jpeg  
Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #45
Bus Geek

that picture is so bitty I cant blow it up enough to see but that looks like the evaporator bix for a normal Dashboard Air-conditioner.. you sure there isnt a second compressor buried on the bottom of that engine? does the dash air blow cold when you turn it on wit hthe key on engine off?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that picture is so bitty I cant blow it up enough to see but that looks like the evaporator bix for a normal Dashboard Air-conditioner.. you sure there isnt a second compressor buried on the bottom of that engine? does the dash air blow cold when you turn it on wit hthe key on engine off?
Yes, it blows cold. I can't see one. If it is buried, it's really buried.

The compressor running the aux bus air only had 2 lines running to and from it, which were attached to the aux air unit, nothing else. I didn't see any other lines running off that compressor that could have been tied to the dash air.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #47
Bus Geek

I wonder..... The 2004 - E450 cutaway that I just sold ran both the dash air and rear air from a single compressor.... Is there a chance that yours is similar?
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I wonder..... The 2004 - E450 cutaway that I just sold ran both the dash air and rear air from a single compressor.... Is there a chance that yours is similar?
I look again when I get home, but there were no other lines running off the compressor to run another AC besides the aux air. Wondering if the 7.3 set-up was different than yours. Did you have the 6.0 diesel or gas?

The air is blowing cold and there were only 2 hoses/lines between the compressor and the bus air.

How was your single compressor plumbed?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjatheart View Post
I look again when I get home, but there were no other lines running off the compressor to run another AC besides the aux air. Wondering if the 7.3 set-up was different than yours. Did you have the 6.0 diesel or gas?

The air is blowing cold and there were only 2 hoses/lines between the compressor and the bus air.

How was your single compressor plumbed?
6.0 diesel
Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Besides the alternator and power steering pump there is only one more belt driven item on this engine and it’s mounted below the alternator on the passenger side and there is a belt tensioner mounted to the front of it. It’s hard to see from the top or bottom. These were the best photos I could get. Barely a glimpse of what could be the dash air compressor below the alternator.

Dash air is blowing cold.
Attached Thumbnails
C80AD5BB-0C95-4697-A40F-89BF2D064074.jpg   E075986E-21D5-49F1-88EF-EB0B6B511173.jpg  
Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #51
Bus Geek

dash air blows cold with engine running... how about key on but engine stopped...

im guessing there is a compressor under the alternator.. I think thats where Bracketry systems locates it ..

Steve - whather there were 1 or 2 compressors usually depended on how the original Van chassis was ordered,, if it was ordered with a Chassis A/C prep kit option themn the Van was equipped only with Dash A/C switches and an evaporator.. wiring was provided for a compressor as well as the normal engine brackets for A/C using a ford FS-10 compressor.. most times no compressor was included..

a 3rd party like carrier, Trans/AIR, ACC, MCC (many ithers) would install a 'Tie-IN' system in which a high capacity compressor, rear evaporator, rear switches, skirt mount condensor and screw-On O-ring fittings, etc.. the dash evaporator was tied in..

if the Van chassis was ordered with Full A/C then it came from the factory with a fully working dash A/C system such would be like you received if ordering a cargo van or Chassis designed for a Box truck..

the aftermarket A/C company would locate their own compressor.. usually with brackets from red-dot or bracketry systems..

hard to see from your pics... following the suction line out of the evaporator is usually how to get to the compressor..

ive seen sepoarate compressors in the larger shuttle busses... the ones with 6 or 7 windows. as they need the capacity
Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #52
Bus Nut

With the no-idling rules becoming more popular, I wonder if they did an electric compressor so that it could run for short times from the batteries without having to keep the bus running?
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The compressor should be on the lower passenger side of the engine. You might not see it from the bottom. You go through the wheel well to replace it so look through there.

I'd be extremely surprised if it has a 12v powered compressor. Once again, the amount of power required to run an ac compressor is 2-3 kw. They have gotten more efficient over the years but not efficient enough to run off of a typical vehicle battery with the vehicle off.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

I'd be extremely surprised if it has a 12v powered compressor. Once again, the amount of power required to run an ac compressor is 2-3 kw. They have gotten more efficient over the years but not efficient enough to run off of a typical vehicle battery with the vehicle off.
I would be inclined to agree.

You would need quite a large battery to support the roughly 200 amps (or more) draw for any period of time at all.

Even with the engine running, you would need a VERY substantial alternator to support it. Remember, automotive alternators are not rated for continuous duty. If you pull 200 amps from your 200 amp alternator for too long and you will let the magic smoke out.

I would love to be wrong here. I would be ecstatic to find a 12volt compressor that will support enough a/c capacity to cool effectively and be practical to run from the bus charging system. If you you find such a unicorn please share the details.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Jegs offers Hoptrod A/C compressors that are electric.. at 3700 BTU they pull 31 amps.. the compressors are electric on hybrid cars.. those use the high voltage batteries and are DC inverter type compressors...

150 amps is about right for what it would take to run the average Dash air..
-Christopher