Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Window A/C Units & Bumpy Roads

So I got a 8,000 BTU unit installed in one of my windows over the rear wheels, however I'm getting concerned about the forces it's undergoing while driving.

It's working now after a rough 1 hour ride through my rural towns bad roads, but I'm wondering if anyone has any input about this. I'm concerned since the units are designed to be in a stationary window and only endure a few days worth of transit via freight, but not sure if they'd be built to endure traveling in a vehicle for long periods.

geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Any way to remove it while in transit?
If it has enough support, meaning fabricated framework around it with rubber between the support and unit, it might be okay?
Post a pic if possible, for better quality feedback?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Almost 5 years and many thousands of miles on 5kbtu $25 C.L. special. Runs fine.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
window units are pretty durable.. not sure id run it while driving.. but otherwsie the innards of them are pretty simple and built to withstand the fact people flex them them, bump them, store them upside down, and all kinds of other things as they take them in and out of their windows every year
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Any way to remove it while in transit?
If it has enough support, meaning fabricated framework around it with rubber between the support and unit, it might be okay?
Post a pic if possible, for better quality feedback?
I second this. Info on specific location of the unit in the bus would help.

Personally, I think were I to do it, I would either replace one of the windows aside the rear emergency door and recess the unit into its own space frame so removal would not be necessary for travel.

A roof raise might make it possible to mount the unit higher and remove the need for removal of any windows at all.

Securement is the key. As long as the unit is properly mounted on a frame / platform sturdy enough to support its weight and the G-forces from being in motion, you really have nothing to worry about.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Unit is located over the rear wheel well, aprox. 8 feet from the rear on the vehicle. It's on the drivers side (although not sure that matters).

Mounted at window level very well in a wood frame that's bolted/screded to the frame and sturdy. No methods of force absorption such as rubber liners, the AC unit sit's on a metal rain which sits on the wood frame.

Supported on the top, bottom, front, and rear as well as anchored to prevent it moving left/right (based on the AC unit, not the bus).

Designed to operate within the bus and not move anywhere during operation. It is made so that it can be removed for maintenance or replacement within 10-15 minutes of removing supports which are easily reachable in the final design, but otherwise is very secure in place.

Attached in photos of the framing, don't have photos of the finished unit yet.
Attached Thumbnails
20190620_164915.jpg   20190620_164902.jpg  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Looks rugged enough to handle the typical road vibes. If it settles or cracks the wooden framing, is all I'd be concerned with.
Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Traveling

Looks pretty solid to me, just make sure you allow enough space for the side vents to exhaust. It's not hard to have a system like that overheat from improper ventilation. However, if building a similar column over the other wheel well for storage or something is feasible, I would reinforce between them at ceiling level, to reduce some of the structural stress.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Just did a test drive to check it again, and again it failed to keep cold - nearly as soon as I started driving, it switched to what seemed like fan only. Exhaust vents were air temp, not appropriately cold/hot on both external and internal sides.

Almost assured myself that I'd rattled something loose and broke, which is why I posted this question.

Well - it turns out this handy GE WiFi enabled AC that I hooked up to my buses network was using my location data from the phone app, and when it got set to "away" the AC turned off and only the fan kept going. It automatically got set to "away" whenever I was a certain distance away from the location I set it up at (my house).

As soon as I rolled into my driveway I heard the compressor kick on and cold air was pouring out by time i had parked 1 minute later.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
Just did a test drive to check it again, and again it failed to keep cold - nearly as soon as I started driving, it switched to what seemed like fan only. Exhaust vents were air temp, not appropriately cold/hot on both external and internal sides.

Almost assured myself that I'd rattled something loose and broke, which is why I posted this question.

Well - it turns out this handy GE WiFi enabled AC that I hooked up to my buses network was using my location data from the phone app, and when it got set to "away" the AC turned off and only the fan kept going. It automatically got set to "away" whenever I was a certain distance away from the location I set it up at (my house).

As soon as I rolled into my driveway I heard the compressor kick on and cold air was pouring out by time i had parked 1 minute later.

this is why I like on/off switches
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
Traveling

Sounds like the unit may be shutting down from inadequate side ventilation. There is a ton of heat coming off of that thing, and it needs to be able to exhaust it through any vents available. Boxing in the sides too close may trap too much heat in the system and cause it to shut down from overpressurization.

There is also the possibility that maybe there is a level sensor in this unit that shuts it down when it detects an odd angle of position.

EDIT: Didn't catch the part about the remote controlled A/C. Seems that the easier technology is supposed to make things, the more it becomes a PITA. There may be a setting in the app to tell it to use your phone location as 'HOME'.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post

You mean your AC is programmed to be fan-only when you're away from your (presumably stationary) house? Seems like pets wouldn't like that feature too much.