Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Wood stoves in skoolies! Got one?

I have stumbled into a few photos but can't seem to find them now. I would really like to see some wood stove installations in a skoolie. I have a 90 TC2000 I am getting ready to convert and really wanted to put one near the folding door over the wheel. I only did a very quick and dirty conversion (remove seats except 2 up front, built bulkhead wall about 12 foot from back door, built queen bed, 2 bunks, shelf for tv,vcr,dvd,installed inverter, hit the road) to get us moved (NM to VA) but am about ready to redo everything and want it to be boondockable. Thanks all

Excalibrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I've seen a few pics but have no idea where to find them. There is a place in your neck of the woods (Lynchburg) that has a bunch of Thomas Saf-T-Liners (flat nose transit style buses) for sale at $2000 each... Sonnymerryman.com

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
well, you could visit http://www.mrsharkey.com and look at the forum section. He is focused on housetrucks however has a number of good threads on woodstoves. Might be helpfull.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Someone had a small woodstove called a Tiny Tot or something like that. They did a real nice job on the install. If I were to put one in, I would copy that setup. I'm sure someone knows which bus I am talking about.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Someone had a small woodstove called a Tiny Tot or something like that. They did a real nice job on the install. If I were to put one in, I would copy that setup. I'm sure someone knows which bus I am talking about.
SeanF is one that did that type of stove. His site is here:

http://www.seanf.smugmug.com

And the stove installation is here:

http://www.seanf.smugmug.com/gallery/1391887

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yea, found that one reciently, waaay toooo small for me. What do ya burn in that, toothpicks? Just kidding around. I'm sure it suites his purposes, just not mine. I actually want a small steel stove that will take around 14" to 17" logs. Make enough heat to keep me warm in alaska but tight and sealed so I can control it well in a more moderate climate. Can't weld or I would just buy the door and build the rest. I was hoping to mount something parallel to the wall and over the wheel well. Hopefully Ill be able to cook on it as well. I'm really trying to put together systems that are simple and reliable so I can drive out in the middle of no-freaking-where (it's nice there) and live for 2 months if I desire. Wood is available for free almost everywhere if you know where to look, even in the forbidding wilderness of asphalt (pallets are free in the city). Thanks for the responses so far. Let me know if ya find any others.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Skoolie

I wanted something nice and built to last so we went for a Jotul woodstove for our project…

25” high x 12-1/2 “ wide x 19 “ long (handles up to 16 “ logs) for $795.00
(You can cook on this stove)

Size does matter when you’re staying in a cold place …so get a woodstove with large enough capacity to heat the bus.
Unless , you want to go for a ‘double’ heating system …
That’s how I went about doing Latcho Drom’ …
Small wall-mounted woodstove and propane heater…

Northern Tools sells some ‘cheap’ woodstoves and this site has some tiny stoves….
http://www.marinestove.com/
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Skoolie

Excalibrate I posted this pic before …but here’s a really nice little woodstove set up in a gorgeous Houstruck

Old 03-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Skoolie

Not sure if you’re kidding …but just in case you don’t know about house trucks …
here’s what one looks like.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Ahhh yes ,the housetruck . . . yea, been to Sharkeys site about 5 years ago when I was thinking about getting a bus the first time. A year latter I got my first bus. I'm on my second bus now and a little wiser for the journey. I really preffer busses (at least for now) and my TC2000 FE fits my needs pretty good for now. You see . . . we typically move every 2-3 years often 1000 miles or more. We aren't wealthy by any means but love to travel. We are Me, Angelia (love incarnate yet highly dangerous) my 2 kids (Atlas 9, Kristara 10) and have 2-3 cats (depends when you ask) and 2 medium/large dogs (just had 1 dog last trip). So we need living space and storage all in one unit. The wood stove is still up in the air due to the space shortage. When I re-configure the bus I plan to give up about 3 feet of storage space to donate to living area. That 3 feet could be used for the stove but haven't decided yet.
I still haven't seen the one I found a month or so ago where the guy put his over the wheel well. Keep them comming, I need lots of good examples to steal ideas from.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Bus Nut

If you go to Jepersen's site (he's a member here too) at http://www.jesperskoolie.tk (you need to click through ad) and click the link to "November" there are some photos of his hearth set up, he hasn't installed the actual fireplace yet (at least not on the site).

Another one that comes to mind is Bonnie Lass at http://www.nickbus.com. The navigation on the site is not good so a direct link to the page with the fireplace is http://www.rachelnation.com/nicksbus/5.html

Yet another is Moss and Pixie's Enchanted Gypsy here: http://www.enchantedgypsy.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html (scroll down)

That's all I can recall at the moment...

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibrate
Yea, found that one reciently, waaay toooo small for me. What do ya burn in that, toothpicks? Just kidding around. I'm sure it suites his purposes, just not mine. I actually want a small steel stove that will take around 14" to 17" logs. .

Amen brother! Nothing like having too small a woodstove and having to constantly add more loggs to keep her making heat.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibrate
Yea, found that one reciently, waaay toooo small for me. What do ya burn in that, toothpicks? Just kidding around. I'm sure it suites his purposes, just not mine. I actually want a small steel stove that will take around 14" to 17" logs. .

Amen brother! Nothing like having too small a woodstove and having to constantly add more loggs to keep her making heat.
Just for reference...we burn charcoal in the stove, and fully stoked it burns for 4.5 - 5 hours, which indeed means a midnight re-stoking (which is not fun). We've burned wood in it, but it is entirely too small and wasn't really made for burning wood. It is a marine coal & charcoal stove.

(Un?)fortunately we insulated so well that a bigger stove would absolutely roast us out.

(FYI we've seen overnight lows of 12*F.)

Whatever you choose, I use and recommend the Atwood CO alarm, which runs on 2xAA batteries for a year. Shows current CO levels and will store the peak CO level.

Hope this helps--
Sean
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Wood stoves in skoolies! Got one?

Digging up an old thread.....

Sean, where did you get the 3" flue pipe from? Singe or double wall?

I've been talking with the gentleman over at Fastco stoves. We're about to pull the trigger on the Tiny Tot.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
Digging up an old thread.....

Sean, where did you get the 3" flue pipe from? Singe or double wall?

I've been talking with the gentleman over at Fastco stoves. We're about to pull the trigger on the Tiny Tot.
I bought 2 sections of 3" single wall pipe from Dickinson Marine.

At the time, I looked around locally (Flagstaff) and couldn't find any in 3".
Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Thank you much.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote