Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

100% Newbie

Hello all. Wanted to intro myself before I start bombarding everyone with a million and one questions over the course of the next year or so.

I am brand new to skoolies and absolutely enamored/overwhelmed/under-educated. BUT! Everyone has to start somewhere, i suppose.

I'm a nursing student, set to graduate in June, newly-ish and unexpectedly divorced with my last kidlet about to leave the nest this summer or so. So, seems a good plan to start over a bit with a new career, etc.. I am alllll about minimalism and abhor debt. I've moved around a lot over the years (itchy feet, I guess). The freedom associated with living 'tiny' has appealed for a long time and a skoolie seems a reasonable way to go.

I plan on living in it full time and traveling extensively on my 6 and 8 day stretches off for the first couple years of my nursing career, then possibly becoming a traveling nurse, taking my skoolie home with me wherever I land.

I am not in any way, shape or form mechanically inclined and I realize this is a problem. Helps that I'm no dummy and I figure I can learn as well as the next guy/gal. I know a few things that I definitely want and a few others I'm not sure about. It'll just be lil ol' me so I figure a approx 28' (that's typically the 8 window does, right? Gah! forgive my newbie ignorance) with about 22' interior room is plenty big for me. I just don't want to drive anything bigger than that either. Other must haves (I think and I very much plan on leaning heavily on those with superior wisdom in this arena, cough cough, you guys) are; a bathtub, off grid capabilities (solar hookups, etc), roof top deck, diesel engine, probs automatic transmission. Oh! And I saw somewhere where someone put a 12 bottle wine rack in the floor of a skoolie and HELLO, yes please.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do the whole conversion by myself, or buy one already stripped or at some other level of converted (not all the way).

Can't wait to connect with you all and begin what will likely be a grand adventure! Cheers!

doulanobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Welcome to the group. We all had alot of questions in the begining and this website is a great resource. Several of us here have youtube channels do document our transition process so you can watch for additional help.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote