Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ocracoke, NC
Posts: 6
Year: 2003
Coachwork: international
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 77
17A our new bus

Hello everyone,
after lurking, gleaning, and enjoying this site for the last few months i've pulled the trigger on a full size bus, soon to be a skoolie. we live on a tiny island in nc accessible only by ferry. the two school busses on the island are both white. we'll be the only yellow bus in the district haha.
we're looking to do a full conversion for coast to coast travel as well as a home on acreage as i build our stick frame house. i have extensive building experience as i have worked in the trades for 20 years. we're also lucky to be living on ocracoke island where many of my close friends are skilled in areas that i will need help with...
the bus- unnamed as of yet -is a 2003 international 3000, 77cap, dt466e, md3060 with 207k miles. it ran in hilly elkins, wv and was serviced regularly. we just won the auction an hour ago and i'm trying to save my excitement for a time hopefully next week when it is with us on the island.
without all the time i spent following and digesting all the great information here on skoolie.net i would not have been nearly as decisive and confident in my purchase. thanks to each and every one of you for the help.

derek and callie
BarefootTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
chopanegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 36
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
Congratulations!! Sounds like a good bus to start a build!!
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 26
Congratulations on the new bus. Im new here too
And just in the reading and learning stage.
(More confused then before)
Mark carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 802
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Ocracoke's a beautiful place.....my uncle used to have a place in Avon we used as a base while exploring up and down the OBXs. Will you bring your bus down 12 from Manteo or over on the Swan Quarter/Cedar Island ferries?

You've got a great drivetrain in that bus.....good luck with your build!
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ocracoke, NC
Posts: 6
Year: 2003
Coachwork: international
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopanegas View Post
Congratulations!! Sounds like a good bus to start a build!!
thanks, took a lot of digesting of information and opinion before choosing. when i saw the elkins busses i was ready.
we aren't far from you, if you come to the island look me up. i'm not hard to find. that goes for you too plfking.
i'll most likely come home with the bus down hwy 12 as they are running nearly 30 trips per day on the hatteras ferry run until november. and its free (for now).
Mark carr- keep reading, absorbing, searching threads and things will begin to clear up for you. it took me hours of reading before i felt like i had a clue. i'm still a newbie, but at least a well read newbie...
BarefootTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ocracoke, NC
Posts: 6
Year: 2003
Coachwork: international
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Ocracoke's a beautiful place.....my uncle used to have a place in Avon we used as a base while exploring up and down the OBXs. Will you bring your bus down 12 from Manteo or over on the Swan Quarter/Cedar Island ferries?

You've got a great drivetrain in that bus.....good luck with your build!
i've been following your build. i was not surprised you appreciated my drivetrain haha
BarefootTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootTarheel View Post
Hello everyone,
after lurking, gleaning, and enjoying this site for the last few months i've pulled the trigger on a full size bus, soon to be a skoolie. we live on a tiny island in nc accessible only by ferry. the two school busses on the island are both white. we'll be the only yellow bus in the district haha.
we're looking to do a full conversion for coast to coast travel as well as a home on acreage as i build our stick frame house. i have extensive building experience as i have worked in the trades for 20 years. we're also lucky to be living on ocracoke island where many of my close friends are skilled in areas that i will need help with...
the bus- unnamed as of yet -is a 2003 international 3000, 77cap, dt466e, md3060 with 207k miles. it ran in hilly elkins, wv and was serviced regularly. we just won the auction an hour ago and i'm trying to save my excitement for a time hopefully next week when it is with us on the island.
without all the time i spent following and digesting all the great information here on skoolie.net i would not have been nearly as decisive and confident in my purchase. thanks to each and every one of you for the help.

derek and callie
Fantastic! Do you have any pictures of your bus from the auction?

I love NC. We vacationed in the outer banks a couple of years there.
__________________
BlueFish aka Todd
Seeking a Crown, Thomas, International, Blue Bird bus with DT466, Cummins 8.3, Allison trans, high roof, air brakes, and A/C.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ocracoke, NC
Posts: 6
Year: 2003
Coachwork: international
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 77
I'm hoping to take some pictures next week when I get the bus home. There were about 10 total pic's on govdeals but they are lost to me now.
I lived for 5 years in northern CA. I love it out there too. Nice to hear you've been down this way. We don't see many West Coaster's on the banks.
BarefootTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,151
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootTarheel View Post
I'm hoping to take some pictures next week when I get the bus home. There were about 10 total pic's on govdeals but they are lost to me now.
I lived for 5 years in northern CA. I love it out there too. Nice to hear you've been down this way. We don't see many West Coaster's on the banks.
I think you can log in at GovDeals and view all your bids and what they were on and retrieve the pics that way. What was the transaction number?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootTarheel View Post
I lived for 5 years in northern CA. I love it out there too. Nice to hear you've been down this way. We don't see many West Coaster's on the banks.
I am looking for land now to build my bus. One of the states on my list is North Carolina. I love North California but it's so expensive to buy and live.
__________________
BlueFish aka Todd
Seeking a Crown, Thomas, International, Blue Bird bus with DT466, Cummins 8.3, Allison trans, high roof, air brakes, and A/C.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.