Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #1

1987 B700 Bus loosing power when hot

All,

Have a 1987 B700 Bus with a 6.6 Ford/New Holland diesel using a Bosch P pump. We are in the process of converting it into an RV but something odd happened over the weekend, where engine pulls power and I am able to get up to 55+ mph when cold. Once thermostats crack open and engine is up to operating temp, I start to loose power and speed drops dramatically. No buzzer for coolant level is on and no warning lights come on. Not to say the warning lights are burnt, any ideas???!!

martinezleo1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezleo1110 View Post
All,

Have a 1987 B700 Bus with a 6.6 Ford/New Holland diesel using a Bosch P pump. We are in the process of converting it into an RV but something odd happened over the weekend, where engine pulls power and I am able to get up to 55+ mph when cold. Once thermostats crack open and engine is up to operating temp, I start to loose power and speed drops dramatically. No buzzer for coolant level is on and no warning lights come on. Not to say the warning lights are burnt, any ideas???!!
Welcome !

Sorry to hear about your engine woes. Before the engine starts, the idiot-lights self-test. Check to see if the light is on then to verify not burned-out.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Did that, does this engine have an ECM or OBD1 connectors i can use to talk to it? Is it smart enough to feather back the fuel solenoid to protect itself or could it be that the fuel shutoff solenoid might be going bad? Any experience on this?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezleo1110 View Post
Did that, does this engine have an ECM or OBD1 connectors i can use to talk to it? Is it smart enough to feather back the fuel solenoid to protect itself or could it be that the fuel shutoff solenoid might be going bad? Any experience on this?
1987? ECM? OB-what???? on a Brazilian? Not to the best of my knowledge.

Sounds like pump is suspect- do a flow test.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Should be a mechanical engine
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
when i cracked my exhaust manifold, i had the same symptom. plenty of power when cold, but as it heated up, the crack expanded and let out some air psi going into the turbo. no power when it got hot.

good luck
Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #7

Turned out to be sludge and algae in the fuel tank, I have replaced the stage 1 and stage 2 fuel filters and power is back to normal. Next up would be to drain and clean tank followed by new filters again. Thank you everyone for your input, I should've known better!!!