Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Year: 1994
Chassis: B7042
1994 B7T042-9 windows

So I am looking at a bus I am really interested in but I am already feeling overwhelmed.
It is a 1994 B7T042, I know the bus is a gas engine and I believe there is a fuel pump issue. It has 9 windows but I can't find anything to tell me the length. I need to make sure it will haul a car.
Is anyone familiar with this bus who could maybe share some insight into the length, tow capacity and costs I'm likely to incur to replace the fuel pump?

Thank you!

TyeDyeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeDyeMama View Post
So I am looking at a bus I am really interested in but I am already feeling overwhelmed.
It is a 1994 B7T042, I know the bus is a gas engine and I believe there is a fuel pump issue. It has 9 windows but I can't find anything to tell me the length. I need to make sure it will haul a car.
Is anyone familiar with this bus who could maybe share some insight into the length, tow capacity and costs I'm likely to incur to replace the fuel pump?

Thank you!
Typical buses are about 27.5" from rib to rib, so multiply that by 9 and then add maybe 8 feet or so for the cab and engine (and another foot if one of the windows is extra-wide). Your bus is probably 28' to 30' long.

Your towing capacity will be determined mainly by the engine and transmission, but almost any skoolie could tow a car assuming a strong-enough hitch is installed. Buses can haul a very heavy load of children - 65 kids might weigh between 7,000 and 10,000 pounds - so unless you build out your interior with depleted uranium, you'll have plenty of towing capacity.

I would assume you would want to avoid towing with an AT545 transmission, but apparently many people have done this without any problems.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #3

Thank you so much! That was extremely helpful! I have a mechanic looking at it this weekend so I will double-check the transmission/engine for sure!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeDyeMama View Post
Thank you so much! That was extremely helpful! I have a mechanic looking at it this weekend so I will double-check the transmission/engine for sure!
No problem. If you click on "User CP" up at the top and edit your details, they'll show up on your posts and then people will know where you are, what kind of bus you have etc. It helps people tailor their advice to your specific situation.

I assume this is a remote buy? Make sure your mechanic checks for rust in addition to purely mechanical stuff.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
No problem. If you click on "User CP" up at the top and edit your details, they'll show up on your posts and then people will know where you are, what kind of bus you have, etc. It helps people tailor their advice to your specific situation.

I assume this is a remote buy? Make sure your mechanic checks for rust in addition to purely mechanical stuff.

Thank you! I think I have updated with everything I currently know about the bus.

It is not a remote buy it is a buy off of someone that I know personally however they know less than I do about the mechanics. I am taking a couple of mechanic friends with me this weekend however they have not worked on a bus specifically so I am trying to make sure I have a list of things we need to be looking at. I definitely will look for rust! I would be more than grateful for any advice you have!