Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 118
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
1995 partially done

I'm looking at 1995 Int'l on a Thomas Vista body. It has Dt408 engine that's been partially converted. They've done a really good job with the conversion but they are moving overseas and can't take it with them. It seems to run good but I found it has hydraulic brakes instead of air. Is that a good thing or a bad thing. If not, can you convert to air brakes. The couple was thinking of doing it, they just didn't crunch the numbers.
skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:56 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytz View Post
I'm looking at 1995 Int'l on a Thomas Vista body. It has Dt408 engine that's been partially converted. They've done a really good job with the conversion but they are moving overseas and can't take it with them. It seems to run good but I found it has hydraulic brakes instead of air. Is that a good thing or a bad thing. If not, can you convert to air brakes. The couple was thinking of doing it, they just didn't crunch the numbers.

how long ( BIG ) is the bus?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:00 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 118
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
The bus is no longer than 33ft
skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,421
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I drove around in a very similar bus and found it to be crude and harsh riding.
YMMV. Maybe try driving it.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
geminusprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 255
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
I'm assuming it's an 8 window at under 33 feet, it'd say it shouldn't be a problem riding with hydraulic brakes. It may have a backup air system for emergencies as well.

As for the ride, I find my 36 foot 1997 Vista to be quite the nice ride. Bumps are still bumps, but on smooth roads it's a nice ride. Still rattles though.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 118
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
I'm assuming it's an 8 window at under 33 feet, it'd say it shouldn't be a problem riding with hydraulic brakes. It may have a backup air system for emergencies as well.

As for the ride, I find my 36 foot 1997 Vista to be quite the nice ride. Bumps are still bumps, but on smooth roads it's a nice ride. Still rattles though.
Not sure, they raised the roof and covered up the windows and put in a couple of RV windows instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (23.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg s-l400 (1).jpg (27.1 KB, 7 views)
skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 118
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I drove around in a very similar bus and found it to be crude and harsh riding.
YMMV. Maybe try driving it.
I did drive it and it's no worse than the one I previously had. Thanks for your input though.
skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 118
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
I'm assuming it's an 8 window at under 33 feet, it'd say it shouldn't be a problem riding with hydraulic brakes. It may have a backup air system for emergencies as well.

As for the ride, I find my 36 foot 1997 Vista to be quite the nice ride. Bumps are still bumps, but on smooth roads it's a nice ride. Still rattles though.
I decided to go ahead and get it. Thanks a lot for your input.
skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,421
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytz View Post
I did drive it and it's no worse than the one I previously had. Thanks for your input though.
The one you had was a lowrider with very little in the way of suspension and low profile tires.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 118
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The one you had was a lowrider with very little in the way of suspension and low profile tires.
I guess that's why I couldn't tell the difference. It is a good bus. The only major area that needed addressing is the back, which I already knew and which I had no experience welding. I'd been working on it off and on for 1 1/2 years solo. Worked around areas where working solo didn't cut it and then took forever to get help. Got to be too much when the one area that ultimately brought down the house of cards, was where I needed the most help and couldn't get it.
skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« NewToSkool | Newbee »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×