Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 PM   #1

1998 International Skoolie

Hello all, I am from New York City, and since May 2016, i have been living in a 35ft, flat nose skoolie, named NYLA...
I live on YOU TUBE, getting ideas and looking up stuff that I too want in my single room home..
At the moment she has only the heat from her motor when she is running.... All but one of the school bus chairs are gone. And I did install an 2000 watts inverter... But at the moment my biggest issues are heat, and parking her on the streets. Renting space here is very expensive, which I why I want to relocate to Texas.....

Thank you😊
For any information or advise would be appreciated. .

B.Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Hope this helps
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Consider propane, or if you're on a budget, get 1 or 2 woodstoves and install them on either end of the bus.

Plenty of topics on here cover heating your skoolies. Generally it's recommended that you remove the factory heating system as it's only useful when the bus is running.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Consider propane, or if you're on a budget, get 1 or 2 woodstoves and install them on either end of the bus.

Plenty of topics on here cover heating your skoolies. Generally it's recommended that you remove the factory heating system as it's only useful when the bus is running.

or repurpose it so you do have heat when the bus is running..

you definitely cant or shouldnt burn a woodstove while driving down the road..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I relocated from SoCal to Texas 15 years ago. I dearly miss the weather, but am happy to ditch the traffic, crowds, etc. I traded all that for a nice, quiet country town with less than 1800 people, horses, cattle, and a house you can actually live in.

So I say "git 'er Dun, Bunny!!!".

Welcome to our little corner of the 'net. Pictures?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
or if you're on a budget, get 1 or 2 woodstoves and install them on either end of the bus.
No reason to run 2 separate wood stoves, that's just silly. One stove properly sized will be WAY more than adequate to heat a bus... sheit, it was -9f here the other night and I got the interior of my bus up to 111f and I've only got one (albeit oversized) stove...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #7

Thank you for your time, and for welcoming me..
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #8

I am looking to get the HQ ISSUE, wood stove by Sportsman Guide, but they are out of stock. ...
I really don't want to put a hole in the ceiling of Nyla, so I was thinking to have the exhaust go out an open window, through a plate with a hole in it for the exhaust. I saw someone do that on YOUTUBE... Any thoughts????
Thank you all again, I don't feel so lonely doing this.....
Old 12-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #9

Thank you for the encouragement. . It's hard to move to a new place where you know noone...
Old 12-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi Bunny,

Welcome. I made a wood stove and ran the exhaust right out the window, through a thin alluminum plate i snatched off a screen door. I too did not want to cut through the roof. It works great.

I also installed a propane fireplace in the bedroom area. I like having two heat sources like Christopher mentioned above. This gives me the freedon to have propane heat at night when i would be asleep, that can be turned off with the flick of the thermostat.

http://imgur.com/a/bHOu6

The fireplace is great for when i will be in for the rest of the evening.

I can relate; moving away is hard. I am ... slow to open up, so my long term connections are of the highest value to me. I arrived here 11 years ago, after a 2800 mile move, only to part ways with the lady i came here with. It was beyond scary, i don't ever want to do that again, lol and yet i am so grateful for it all. I sometimes imagine traveling but really haven't the heart for it right now... and nowhere is calling my name.

Also... there are some fancy tricks for making a bed that is warm to negative conditions. Ask if you want more info.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bunny View Post
I am looking to get the HQ ISSUE, wood stove by Sportsman Guide, but they are out of stock. ...
I really don't want to put a hole in the ceiling of Nyla, so I was thinking to have the exhaust go out an open window, through a plate with a hole in it for the exhaust. I saw someone do that on YOUTUBE... Any thoughts????
Thank you all again, I don't feel so lonely doing this.....
Running the exhaust out a window is no problem, and should be the easiest way to vent your stove. Use single wall pipe with a damper up through the first 90 degree bend then use double or triple wall chimney pipe for the bit that goes through the blanked out window. They have "Wall Thimbles" for running chimneys through walls for 15-30 bucks at the big box home improvement stores.

I would be careful using those tent stoves from sportsmans guide. They're cheap, lightweight and easy but they are made of VERY thin steel and will warp in a second if you get them too hot. Those are the stoves that people get glowing cherry red hot if they're not careful. Just something to be aware of.

Try checking round on craigslist in your area for a small cast iron or 1/4" steel plate wood stove. I found a great one close by for only 100 bucks that puts out way more than enough heat and it's still small enough that it doesn't get in the way. Whatever you end up using make sure to install CO detectors to let you know when theres a problem...

I am in my 30s and have been living with wood burners as a sole source of heat all my life so I have a little experience with wood stoves. Hell I went to HVAC school and still prefer wood fired heat over a furnace... But I'm anachronistic I guess so take that with a grain of salt...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote