Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Red face 40 is old enough for crazy ideas, right?

It's amazing how many resources there are now for the whole tiny house thing, wow! I'm a little blown away...

I don't have a bus yet, but they're looking like the best option from where I'm sitting, and I'm currently in the wonderland that is making lists, looking at everyone else's builds, and thinking of floor plans, haha. I got hooked by the tiny house idea back in 2011. Still don't exactly have the financial wherewithal to get going yet, but I'm going to work on it. Since google keeps directing me here (and so does just about every bus-living youtuber sooner or later), I figured I'd join.

Been in contract security for the past 14 years, but I've done a little bit of everything reputable. I do not have the skills, tools, or time to do a conversion from the ground up, and mad props to everyone who does. Seriously. I'd have to look at some pro who can do the heavy work, since my skills mostly lie in soft customization.

Hello and don't shoot

Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

You are just scared. Read ,Read, and ReRead these forums and get some knowledge. Make your plan and work your plan. Don't plan in unreasonable time tables.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Oh believe me, I'm at least two years away from being able to actually take action. Plenty of time to get better ideas of what I want to do.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard! I thought I could never build a Skoolie, but it's happening and it's very exciting!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome aboard and many learn as we go... theres a time I never knew how to turn a wrench on an engine ... there was a time when the only computer program I knew how to write was "10 print hello".

take your tume, plan it out, research it, and go for it.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, I have a file with all the things listed I need to be on the lookout for. It contains a list of links, a full half of which are in this forum XD

Thanks for the friendly welcome!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

One of the first and foremost things I've figured out is...

I may as well go whole-hog and just get a CDL. In the first place, the largest thing I've driven thus far in my life has been a small-size U-Haul...and that was on 285, in Atlanta, for about 9 miles...and it was an experience. Currently the thought of an entire bus straight up scares me. So, the best remedy for that is learning to handle one, and as I don't exactly have a handy friend with a full size bus and an empty parking lot handy...
this presumes CDL courses don't automatically assume you already know how to drive huge vehicles. Virginia's DMV website is really vague about this.

Currently the vehicle requirements (two adults, probably two cats, main focus on work space and storage) are making me lean towards either a Thomas (full size) or a Blue Bird (All-American). RE, of course, need that cargo bay storage.
I need to feel around for the pros and cons of those. Does anyone have experience with them and feel like sharing?

Need to ask around or find a bus yard (maybe pester the local school district) and get some specific measurements... dimensions of the engine hump in the back, the cockpit and dashboard, the wheelwells. Specifically because I'm not a numbers person, and while a floor plan on paper is all well and good... since I have all this time to work on finances and such, I may as well do up a 3D floor plan...in real life 3D. Meaning a scale model. Because that's my jam, and why not?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Going to a CDL school is a great idea.

Actually getting your CDL may not be. The additional rules and regulations can be a real pain.

I saw a school in the Seattle area some years ago had a class specifically for new RV owners.

BTW: Virginia does not require a cdl if you register your bus as an RV.

Commercial driver's license requirements do not apply to:

Operators of emergency vehicles, such as firefighters
Active duty military personnel operating military vehicles
Operators of vehicles, such as recreational vehicles and rental moving vans, used only for personal use

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#whoarecdl.asp
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Going to a CDL school is a great idea.

Actually getting your CDL may not be. The additional rules and regulations can be a real pain.

I saw a school in the Seattle area some years ago had a class specifically for new RV owners.

BTW: Virginia does not require a cdl if you register your bus as an RV.

Commercial driver's license requirements do not apply to:

Operators of emergency vehicles, such as firefighters
Active duty military personnel operating military vehicles
Operators of vehicles, such as recreational vehicles and rental moving vans, used only for personal use

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#whoarecdl.asp
Now how did I miss that...aside from being blinded by the vague legalese I'd waded through up to that point

Goos to know, though, thanks!