Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

6.0L Shortie from North East USA to Brazil

Hello-- I've been on this site constantly for the past few weeks and am finally ready to write an intro. I want to start by saying that, while I read/trust forums as much (if not more) than the next guy, this is my first post on any forum... Ever. Guess it's time to start contributing something to the Internet. Glad to be doing it here. (Please read 'the problems' section at end)

The Bus:
My best buddy and I recently picked up a 2006 6.0L E450 super duty for a steal from my Uncle and finally got her running yesterday. It's a handicap bus with a 14' hull and has just over 99k miles on the engine. There is virtually no rust underneath, which is a great for a northeastern vehicle, and the bus performed surprisingly well on its first (short) ride. I have the full 15 page list of fleet service records and their head mechanic says this bus is a winner.

The Guys:
I'm Matt and my pal's name is Ben. We met in Highschool but were in our mid-twenties now and ready for a serious adventure. Ben has done a solo round-trip across country in his '95 Buick Riviera and chose to live the farm life instead of returning our North Jersey suburbs. I lived in Kenya for several months and attempted to join Ben across country but went broke very quickly and moved to Boston to finish school.

The Plans:
Simple-- reach Brazil with the Bus and jump on a sailboat. In all likelihood, we will do a simple conversion with laminate flooring, beds (maybe bunk or murphy?) lock-downs for 2 dirt-bikes in the back, a small kitchen area with propane cooktop, and some sort of passenger seat.

The Problems:
Titling, insuring, type of passenger seat (with belt), and will probably need help with removing wheelchair lift.
I will be titling and insuring this shortie in Massachusetts but have been striking out in a big way so far. I've been directed to 9 different phone numbers and nobody knows what to do with the thing. I've scoured this forum and haven't found any definitive answers. Most recently, I was told at the RMV that I will need a notarized letter of 'every specific' change made to the bus. The woman told me that I they will then forward that letter and all paperwork to the titling lady. When I asked, 'well, what changes is the title lady looking for' she had no answer.
Also, Geico and Progressive have both told me that they will not insure a conversion bus. Progressive even asked me specifically if the vehicle is a conversion bus. I excitedly said yes, thinking it meant i was golden, but then got shot down.

I'm 100% committed to making this skoolie everything it has the potential to be and can't wait to get to know some of the folks on here in the process.

Mtkuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with a bus that size you take out enough seats to make it less than 15 passengers.. then you register it like a car.... and insure it with progressive as a personal commercial vehicle (its still a bus... you arent converting it fullywith showers and toilets and all)... since you are then under 15 pasengers and its less than 26000 lbs GVWR its just really an E-350 club-wagon....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Christopher- can't thank you enough for that knowledge. I was under the assumption that you had to own a business in order to put commercial insurance on a vehicle. Hopefully I can get it on the road this week now.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Denied by progressive. Going to try some local outfits instead.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
did you tell progressive its a Bus for personal use.. and that its NOT converted to a motorhome? yours really is more like a buys than anything...

you must call their commercial division on the phone..

I have mine insured this way as im keeping mine a bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I told them it's a bus that I will be using as a personal vehicle. I'm learning that Massachusettes is strange for insurance. All of the companies have to transfer me to 'a Massachusettes licensed agent'

Tags
6.0, insurance, shortie, title, titling