Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
JesuitJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
As you go in the door there are two data plates on the right of the front panel (above the windshield).

They will tell you most of what you need to know
Thank you! I'm so glad I registered on this forum.
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,291
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
The rare-as-hen's-teeth Thomas WestCoast-ER was an uprated version of the regular Saf-T-Liner (not of the less expensive MVP), designed to compete with Crown and Gillig. It had heavier-duty specifications than a Saf-T-Liner, and some even had dual rear axles. I looked at a WestCoast-ER that Ramona SD was selling - it had a CAT 3208T, full air suspension and disk brakes! Nice buses.

John
Thomas never sold three versions.

You could buy the MVP, or the ER. There wasn't a "regular" Saf-T-Liner by that time.

The MVP is pretty decently specc'd. It seems to be the equivalent of the Blue Bird "All American".

As you point out ... Thomas like the Saf-T-Liner name, but the WestCoast is a different beast altogether.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
JesuitJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
As you go in the door there are two data plates on the right of the front panel (above the windshield).

They will tell you most of what you need to know
See attached. I think I see "ER" in the middle of a long Model NO but I'm not sure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171229_174931.jpg (162.4 KB, 9 views)
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie
 
JesuitJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
The rare-as-hen's-teeth Thomas WestCoast-ER was an uprated version of the regular Saf-T-Liner (not of the less expensive MVP), designed to compete with Crown and Gillig. It had heavier-duty specifications than a Saf-T-Liner, and some even had dual rear axles. I looked at a WestCoast-ER that Ramona SD was selling - it had a CAT 3208T, full air suspension and disk brakes! Nice buses.

John
Not sure if this photo helps. At least I know now it's a 96 and not a 94!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171229_174931.jpg (162.4 KB, 7 views)
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #15
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,291
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Can't read that. Need a clear picture of the top plate

What does it say next to Engine and Transmission?
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie
 
JesuitJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Can't read that. Need a clear picture of the top plate

What does it say next to Engine and Transmission?
Engine 3116TA-185 (I think)
Transmission AT545
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,291
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesuitJohn View Post
Engine 3116TA-185 (I think)
Transmission AT545
Engine is a CAT 3116 tuned for 185 hp

Transmission is Allison AT 545

The 3116 is, I believe, a mechanical engine and if it's in good condition it would serve you well. 185 hp isn't much power, but it depends on the length of the bus.

The transmission is the weaker link. Nothing much wrong with it, it is bulletproof, but it doesn't have overdrive or a locking torque convertor. If you plan any mountain trips, or towing much, it isn't the best. Many people run around happily with that trans, but there are better options out there.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
JesuitJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Engine is a CAT 3116 tuned for 185 hp

Transmission is Allison AT 545

The 3116 is, I believe, a mechanical engine and if it's in good condition it would serve you well. 185 hp isn't much power, but it depends on the length of the bus.

The transmission is the weaker link. Nothing much wrong with it, it is bulletproof, but it doesn't have overdrive or a locking torque convertor. If you plan any mountain trips, or towing much, it isn't the best. Many people run around happily with that trans, but there are better options out there.
I've got no plans to go anywhere more than just driving it a couple of miles to its final resting place.

But thanks for the info. If you know anyone interested, I'd sell all but the body of the bus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171229_175011.jpg (165.7 KB, 7 views)
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,959
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
why a bus if you dont plan to ever drive it?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
JesuitJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
why a bus if you dont plan to ever drive it?
I've wanted to build a tiny house for decades, but lacked funds and time.

Big pluses:
1. I can work on the bus inside at a shop then drive (or tow) it to a more remote location
2. I can sleep in it just as soon as I take the seats out
3. The bus kind of fell in my lap.
4. Apart from a few solar power parts, I might get all the materials to finish the inside for free (scraps from a construction sight I'm close to). Building a tiny house would require a lot more material.
5. I love that it has so many windows
6. It's high off the ground. Where I finally park it, it won't flood.
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1994, saf-t-liner, south

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.