Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If there's any question about flooding you might appreciate the decision to keep your engine. That's the cool part about a bus, the mobility. And they're conducive to camping in comfort.

If you want to put something in the woods why not park a much less expensive non-running city bus out there? You could probably get two or three city buses parked out there for what your running bus is worth. At the same time I think you've got a cool bus there. I'm also interested to see what you'll do with your bus. Maybe I can drop by when I get down that way after I quit finding repairs to do on mine.

Most of us are very curious to see your build. It's different than what we're used to. A lot of people are second guessing you. I hope you don't take anything the wrong way. There seems to be a certain hush in the crowd at times.

So are you hooking up a woodstove? Our climates are very different.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If there's any question about flooding you might appreciate the decision to keep your engine. That's the cool part about a bus, the mobility. And they're conducive to camping in comfort.

If you want to put something in the woods why not park a much less expensive non-running city bus out there? You could probably get two or three city buses parked out there for what your running bus is worth. At the same time I think you've got a cool bus there. I'm also interested to see what you'll do with your bus. Maybe I can drop by when I get down that way after I quit finding repairs to do on mine.

Most of us are very curious to see your build. It's different than what we're used to. A lot of people are second guessing you. I hope you don't take anything the wrong way. There seems to be a certain hush in the crowd at times.

So are you hooking up a woodstove? Our climates are very different.
Thanks for the comment.

The bus will be parked on farm land that floods about 2 feet deep about every 10 years. I love the location so I just need to account for that rare flood. I cannot go roaming in the bus. I can't even get a CDL.

I like the running bus for the following reasons:
1. I can do most of the work at a shop then drive it to its final resting spot. I suppose I could drag it to that spot with a tractor if the bus didn't run, but how am I going to get an alternate non-running bus to the shop? Towing a bus costs money.
2. This bus fell in my lap. It cost me a lunch for the driver. That's hard to beat.

All of this is new to me, so I'm happy to hear any advice or criticism. Y'all should feel free!

As for a wood stove, I'm thinking maybe. It gets below freezing here just a few nights a year. I'm thinking of welding a stove, maybe. My biggest challenge will be cooling the bus in warmer weather. I'm thinking solar power for that.

I'm thinking of dividing the bus into rooms with insulated walls. This might make cooling a livingroom/bedroom with solar easier instead of cooling the whole bus.

My challenge tomorrow will be to get the seats out. I might bundle up and sleep in it Saturday night just for kicks!
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sounds like the same reasoning the rest of us are using. Air condition smaller areas.

You don't need a cdl to drive a privately owned bus. It's like owning an RV which also doesn't require a cdl. If you want to haul people for compensation or otherwise use the bus for business or commercial purposes, then you need the cdl.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Rated Cap: 72
Just wondering if you can knit?
Seems to be a lot of steel wool on sale right now. Maybe you can knit a couple of woodstoves or socks to make the tires gator proof.

John
Old 12-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Just wondering if you can knit?
Seems to be a lot of steel wool on sale right now. Maybe you can knit a couple of woodstoves or socks to make the tires gator proof.

John
Funny you should say that! The bus took its first victim this morning, completely by accident.
Attached Thumbnails
20171230_080855.jpg  
JesuitJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesuitJohn View Post
Funny you should say that! The bus took its first victim this morning, completely by accident.
JJ, my condolences but we all gotta go sometime. That might make a good bungee cord though.

John
Old 12-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
A/C with solar is a tough one.. with a big enough array you can A/C on it but will also need some big batteries if you plan to A/C at night sleeping then want to recharge the bats, and A/C the next day.. A/C takes quite a bit of electricity to run...

-Christophe
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1994, saf-t-liner, south