Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #1

A Dream for so many years, and now.. a goal

As a younger Man, almost forty years ago, I drove Big-Trucks cross-country. For nine years, I traveled through every State in North America. Always on a tight schedule, the only thing I saw was a whole lot of highway!

Having had plenty of time to daydream during my travels, my goal was one day, to come back and see the Country at my leisure.

I turn 64 years old in December. I suffered a heart attack 1-1/2 years ago, at a weight of 317lbs. I'm not ready to die without having lived my dream. I put myself on the Keto diet, lost 120lbs and go to the gym 5 days a week.

I have set a goal to pay off all credit cards in the next nine months, and then purchase a bus. I am fortunate to have diverse, hands-on skills such as woodworking, electrical and basic plumbing; so I plan to do most of the work myself. I hope that I'm not being overly optimistic by planning to be on the road in 2 - 2-1/2 years.

I look forward to building fruitful relationships here, while sharing my progress. Thanks to all of you in advance.

hometechnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
welcome to dreamland

or if it goes wrong, horrorville.

I hope you escaped without much damage to your heart.

My project is a short bus, 1954 Ford. I will haul it around with grand kids in it for now, later when the the oldest one reaches high school party age, I hope she asks to take the bus and I drive, maybe a few less kids driving when they shouldnt.

I am in Topeka kansas, where are you based?

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 11
go For it

I have very much enjoyed building out my buses, I have taken the last 4 1/2 months to convert a 40 foot Gillig transit bus into an RV.

My advice is to get it done sooner rather than later. It would probably be better to get it done in 8 to 12 months and hit the road so that you can spend extra time on the road and less time at home swinging a hammer.

You only live once and it sounds like you have a great plan for enjoying it. Good for you
TobinHagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

Thank you for the warm response. We live in Cary, just outside Raleigh, North Carolina. And I am still going back and forth on bus size. I'd love to have the room of a Big Pusher, but parking it on my property in Cary, due to very strict ordinances, would be impossible without cutting down a few trees, relocating the carport,etc. Still working on the logistics.
hometechnc is offline   Reply With Quote