Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile About to take the plunge

New here from Ontario Canada - we decided back in February to go mobile and have been looking at different options. We have decided on a skoolie as it allows us to customize whatever way we see fit which we love!! Have not yet picked up a bus yet but have been shopping around and looking at a few. Not much here in Ontario Canada to choose from and we are just new at this. Any advice on what to look for would be awesome!!

chasingsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3l T444e (1999)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingsunshine View Post
New here from Ontario Canada - we decided back in February to go mobile and have been looking at different options. We have decided on a skoolie as it allows us to customize whatever way we see fit which we love!! Have not yet picked up a bus yet but have been shopping around and looking at a few. Not much here in Ontario Canada to choose from and we are just new at this. Any advice on what to look for would be awesome!!
Do yourself a favor and get a rust free southern or desert bus. I know a guy in GA now...
Megs_PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I wish we could but the hassle to import the bus is beyond what we want to do. And it severely limits what we can get as there are only 4 buses that are even allowed to be imported to Canada from the US
Old 07-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Very few buses were bad buys. Generally the advice is going to be to find out what size you want, then look for a "name brand" like Thomas or Blue Bird with a diesel engine and good tires.

In the US, people commonly find their bus on craigslist or one of the surplus auction sites. Not sure about Canadaland.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3l T444e (1999)
Bummer, eh. I've seen and worked on enough rusted vehicles in the New England area to last me a lifetime. It's do-able, but not fun to have to deal with underbody rust. Good luck!
Megs_PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

In Canadaland we have Kijiji which is like Craigslist but people are crazy on what they are asking - minimum about $5,000 to upwards of $20,000 for a used bus - we are looking at government auction sites which seem to have much better deals.

Rust here in Canada is just reality that we can't get away from - hence why we wanna do this so we can take off south at least half the year (for me anyway) - My fiance can stay if he wants as he is a dual citizen
Old 08-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Bit late on the reply here... what sites did you find useful in your search? We're on Vancouver Island, so at least we're in the "unsalted" part of the country.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote