Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Allow myself, to introduce...myself.

Evening,

My name is Tom, Im from New Jersey and Im REALLY new to Skoolies. I odnt have one yet but I recently started shopping for one after years of wanting to do it. I am on the hunt for a short/shorter school bus that I will be using as a toy hauler for my motorcycles. I wont be doing a full on camper conversion but more like an enclosed trailer that drives its self and has some amenities if I need to stay in it. I do a couple decent length trips a year as well as track days and I think this will be much cooler, easier. Now every time I set out to do something mild(like my last Jeep build) it ends up over the top, so we'll see.

Anyway, Im new here but new to forums. Im a Mod and admin on some more motorcycle forums so I wont be breaking any rules, just some stones. I hope to find a good source of what to look for and what to stay away from. Im sure Ill lurk a lot.

Nice to meet you all!
Srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #2

Hey check out govdeals.com, search by location, put in your zip code and search within 500 miles they have a ton of buses listed. Happy hunting!
OkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I love that site! I've been checking there. I'm a little worried about buying one I wouldn't be able to go check out first though so I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

I looked at an older 5 window Chevy powered bus yesterday but when I arrived there was a lot of body damage I was not told about and the back door did not seal tight any more. It was a very short visit.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Dirty Jerz

Here's a couple local nice buses with low miles I found while paroozing the interwebs, both have the seats removed. I think the freighliner has a Cat engine which i don't like. Stick with international or cummins.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1447418049321/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5363237570597/
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
Here's a couple local nice buses with low miles I found while paroozing the interwebs, both have the seats removed. I think the freighliner has a Cat engine which i don't like. Stick with international or cummins.

That's awesome! Thanks for doing that for me. I don't have a FB but my wife does. Kind of handicaps me in my search.

I was thinking a little more on the short bus sides for my needs/use and available parking.

I'm interested in this one but hard to tell the length for a newbie like me. I was searching posts on here to find ways. In guessing 25-30ft? It's international too so that sounds like a plus. Thoughts?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...920006023.html
Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I think my last post is still waiting for mod review so not sure this one will post either...

What's every one think of the 6.6 Duramax from a 3500 bus.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post

Hmmm my last post to you never went through but now they work I guess. I must have misunderstood something.

Anyway thanks so much for the links. I need to find something more short bus size though. My use, plans and parking situation kind of dictate that.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
van shorty or full size shorty?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
van shorty or full size shorty?
I've been looking at both. I'd like to have 12' min behind driver seat to rear door. I was originally thinking 5 window, but I saw a 48 passenger bus I really liked and couldn't tell how long it was in the post.

I know that is a huge jump between the two but I'm super new to this and telling the busses apart and knowing which comes with which is the hardest part for me so far. I've been reading and watching builds for the last year or so but the specs and sizes still stump me.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srad600 View Post
I've been looking at both. I'd like to have 12' min behind driver seat to rear door. I was originally thinking 5 window, but I saw a 48 passenger bus I really liked and couldn't tell how long it was in the post.

I know that is a huge jump between the two but I'm super new to this and telling the busses apart and knowing which comes with which is the hardest part for me so far. I've been reading and watching builds for the last year or so but the specs and sizes still stump me.
Try going by window count as opposed to kid count.
I've got a 5 window full size and I like it. Last 2 were 6 window and also a great size.