Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Am I INSANE???

I've always wanted to convert a bus to a camper and I think the Crowns are among the more unique looking rigs out there.
Well, last week I found this in the next town over...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus_LF.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	12611

It's a 1974 Crown Supercoach 2R-566-11 with a "custom"(?) raised roof. It was used to transport Idaho National Laboratory employees around SE ID. The INL operates and maintains a fleet of busses for this and maintenance is always top notch. It has been mostly sitting for the last several years, but it is supposed to run and is started and moved from time-to-time. I haven't had the owner fire it up for me yet, I'm waiting until I'm sure I want to do this...

So, I know I'll need tires sooner than later, but I suppose that can wait while I get everything else sorted out. Most of the seats are gone already, but the rear row and one other row are still in it. Just enough!

It has a DD 8-71 engine w/ exhaust brake and 5-speed trans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	12612

What so I really need to look for? I want to finish gutting it, fix any metal work, wiring and insulation. Then heat (I'll remove the baseboard floor heaters), then A/C (the compressor is seized and the ceiling units are massive and intrusive), then start the rest of the interior. I'm thinking I can use bits from a wrecked RV.

Am I nuts for $3500???

John

John_In_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_In_ID View Post
I've always wanted to convert a bus to a camper and I think the Crowns are among the more unique looking rigs out there.
Well, last week I found this in the next town over...

Attachment 12611

It's a 1974 Crown Supercoach 2R-566-11 with a "custom"(?) raised roof. It was used to transport Idaho National Laboratory employees around SE ID. The INL operates and maintains a fleet of busses for this and maintenance is always top notch. It has been mostly sitting for the last several years, but it is supposed to run and is started and moved from time-to-time. I haven't had the owner fire it up for me yet, I'm waiting until I'm sure I want to do this...

So, I know I'll need tires sooner than later, but I suppose that can wait while I get everything else sorted out. Most of the seats are gone already, but the rear row and one other row are still in it. Just enough!

It has a DD 8-71 engine w/ exhaust brake and 5-speed trans.

Attachment 12612

What so I really need to look for? I want to finish gutting it, fix any metal work, wiring and insulation. Then heat (I'll remove the baseboard floor heaters), then A/C (the compressor is seized and the ceiling units are massive and intrusive), then start the rest of the interior. I'm thinking I can use bits from a wrecked RV.

Am I nuts for $3500???

John
You are nuts for not buying it!
If you're going to pass I would like the guys number!
You may want a second opinion. Cowlitzcoach has extensive knowledge on all things bus related. I bet he could steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'll fly out to ID next week if no one else jumps on that!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll fly out to ID next week if no one else jumps on that!
I called next!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
That's an Atomic! Wonderful buses, but only distantly related to Crown's school buses, even the later pushers like mine. It has the 8V71, but it doesn't have an exhaust brake (they won't work on Detroit 2-strokes) but instead a real Jake Brake that works better than any exhaust brake ever could. Here's some info about them: BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System: Odd crown bus Louk Markham's definitive book on Crowns also has some info on them. The high roof is standard from the factory - it still has the usual interior headroom, but with HUGE underfloor storage bins because of the higher floor. This bus is well known to some of the Crown aficionados on the CCJ forum. A friend of mine has one, a perfect condition original from Idaho.

Good luck!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
I like it! I'm looking for another crown myself. I love the windows on that! Personally I'm looking foe the more traditional school bus Crown, a tandem to be specific just in case anyone know where one is hiding... But that thing sure is purdy and the price is right IMO
Old 03-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
You DON"T want that BUS!! The 8-71 is a POS! and the Crown in UGLY!!! AND it was used by a government "lab" in Idaho? I assume it is very radio-active! You shouldn't even have that thing in your STATE! Because I am such a good neighbor to the south (Utah); and we are used to such radio-active junk laying around, I am willing to drive up there and get it out of your area for you! Think about the CHILDREN!!
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the info guys! As it stands, it looks like we'll be buying it.
I need to finish my basic research and maybe pay someone to inspect it, but I think it's a go!

Of course, if the plan falls through, I'll be sure to let you all know!

John
John_In_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
That's an Atomic! Wonderful buses, but only distantly related to Crown's school buses, even the later pushers like mine. It has the 8V71, but it doesn't have an exhaust brake (they won't work on Detroit 2-strokes) but instead a real Jake Brake that works better than any exhaust brake ever could. Here's some info about them: BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System: Odd crown bus Louk Markham's definitive book on Crowns also has some info on them. The high roof is standard from the factory - it still has the usual interior headroom, but with HUGE underfloor storage bins because of the higher floor. This bus is well known to some of the Crown aficionados on the CCJ forum. A friend of mine has one, a perfect condition original from Idaho.

Good luck!

John

Ooops... I misread your post.

That IS a beautiful bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, get on that thing, man.

Just do whatever to make SURE you got DIBS man. IF anyone into buses gets over there with cash before you, you're not gona find a bus like that again. Not very easily. That's one supreme machine.
If you don't decide you like it, I'll take it off your hands.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah, get on that thing, man.

Just do whatever to make SURE you got DIBS man. IF anyone into buses gets over there with cash before you, you're not gona find a bus like that again. Not very easily. That's one supreme machine.
If you don't decide you like it, I'll take it off your hands.
I can't get out to Washington. It's too far and work won't help me out.