Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

American school bus

Hi there, im from the uk and have an idea about bringing a old american school bus over to the uk and turning it in to a kitchen for festivals and events like weddings, galas etc. Does any body no if this has been done and can it be done? Iv seen transit vans converted but not old american school buses.

Cheers

Jono

Jonoostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
A couple of members here have imported, not for food though. One is go to skill in map.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Ok cheers, sorry what is go to skill in map?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Supposed to be skoolie map. Link in my signature.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Cool, thankyou for that ��
Old 09-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Supposed to be skoolie map. Link in my signature.

wopuldnt it be cool if we could set up the Skoolie map for Live updating for those travelling in their skoolies.. (and want to share) the ballons would be say blue or something for a bus that was updating its position... we could update through a GPS app or such into google API.....

Skoolies in Motion!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Skoolie

A bus would be perfect for that. I used a van for Meals on Wheels ,I went to construction and office buildings.

Cleanest food in town. Some are not so clean.
International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

Yeah i think so too, iv worked in catering for 17years and worked on festivals and never seen one, im thinking smoke machines and lasers on top making it something reel special and different, ha. Need to do my research first tho!
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Skoolie

Well it will get attention thats fr rsure.

I love to cook so I enjoyed gettign up at 3am to serve the guys at 6:30. I had a state inspected kitchen at home and cooked up about 100 scratch bisuits , cole slaw, Potato salad, pinto beans, collard greens, etc,etc,etc,and known for cooking the best southern cornbread around. Hamburgers and sub sandwiches. Chips, candy and sometimes made pies.

I had country fried steak biscuits, sausage, egg, and kept them burning hot in a cooler type oven. Large cooler for 4 kinds of soft drinks. Had lots of coffee in 2 40oz thermos.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Very nice, I do think the american school bus would make a good sized kitchen, maybe il make it to florida one day and try some of them southern cornbreads ��
Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I can think of one member who imported a bus to the UK:
Timbrass's Profile.

He's driving my dream shorty!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

He hasn't posted for awhile.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/ou...land-6434.html
Old 09-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonoostick View Post
Very nice, I do think the american school bus would make a good sized kitchen, maybe il make it to florida one day and try some of them southern cornbreads ��

Ok sounds good come on down. . You also may find a better deal on a bus down south. The north and the west coast always seems to be more expensive.

And yes a bus would have lots more room and options. You can set up a kitchen in there where I cooked out of my home and had to load it every morning.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I had often wondered why there arent more school busses as food trucks.. after all here in the USA cities food trucks are all the rage.. they are everywhere...

today I got some answers when i went to look at a bus to buy (yes there MAY be a second bus in my near future.. thats a story to be in another thread).. anyway I talked to as food truck builder.. these guys actually make the food trucks we see alot of places..

1. length - many cities and food truck festivals only allow for a 20 foot space for each truck.

2. weight - food trucks often are asked to drive off the pavement into grassy parking spaces, there are weight limits in many places as to what vehicles can drive on the grass due to damage.

3. Serving height - some areas have requirements on what the height can be to serve food.. the counter height in effect is much lower on a step van than a school bus.. ADA regulations in some areas are where the barrier comes in.. can food be safely handed down to a wheelchair.. if the food truck employee leaves the truck for any reason its considered "leaving the kitchen" and that employee would then need to sanitize all over again.. in a food truck set-up that translates to a lot of time lost..

4. Overall vehicle height. - food trucks with any open griddle, grille, or deep fryer must have a restaraunt style ventilation hood in many areas.. these hoods require a component typically on the roof which adds 18-24" to the overall height of the vehicle.. this can cause issue in someareas.. again where festivals may be held either due to bridges or to woods / tree limbs..

alot of these things are not applicable in every jurisdiction.. but these guys build general foods trucks on a base template ..they customize the treuckls for the customer however prefer to build from a known set of compnents and templates for as to create a truck that can be used pretty much anywhere.. many food truckers like to travel from city to city..

not sure how the regs work in UK but thats just info I got from one truck builder in the USA..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #15

Thankyou Christopher thats very helpful
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Where I live we have an open air market and a few months ago someone parked a bus there painted like a bumblebee with black stripes in 4' wide or 2-window wide sections and they cook and sell seafood out of it but the serving area is under an awning/canopy set-up that covers the bus door,exhaust out the windows opposite of the canopy with nothing out the roof. Guess it works code wise for my area?
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #17

Cheers Jolly Roger, im looking into the uk's laws and regulations so il keep you all posted and thanks for all the replies its all very helpful ��
Old 09-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #18

Iv been looking into the chevrolet corbeil, whats the thoughts on this bus?