Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Another Howdy from New Mexico

I signed up the day I stumbled onto this site. Don't have a bus currently. I'm still in the "what am I thinking?" stage. I can just hear friends and family: "You wanna buy a WHAT??" I've lived in truck campers before and loved it, even as small as it was. Now, I'm straining under too much house/mortgage/prop tax, and too little income.
I've seen how motor homes and other RVs are put together, but the ready-made RVs are just too flimsy and too expensive. Makes the sturdiness of the bus all the more intriguing, and so far I've seen lots of great info on this forum for what to watch out for in buying a bus. It's also very encouraging to see how all you others have done your buses.

Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Well Howdy CH...and Welcome --- you have found the right place. This is basically a support group for people with the same affliction...ie...wanting to break free from the grind/game. Read up, take notes and ignore anyone who says "That's just nuts".

We all know that, but hey...we're all committed to takin' the road less taken here.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the welcome! I dove right into reading other people's bus threads and decided I need to come up for air. I don't know the first thing about buses except there are lots of options to consider in choosing my future bus.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Ham....mmmmm.

Welcome!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Ham View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I dove right into reading other people's bus threads and decided I need to come up for air. I don't know the first thing about buses except there are lots of options to consider in choosing my future bus.
Its a lot easier than picking out a car or lots of other consumer products.
And at least we aren't subject to "bus commercials"... YET.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

well CH welcome to the nut house. you are among people just like yourself, called the same thing (once or twice when we got started on this quest) and showed the world that we are more than just dreamers !! some here are well seasoned and an old hand at building and some are new......but we are all here for the same reason, to build, to dream, to show them all that our ideas can and well be something to behold. so keep your head up and know you are not alone, a trip starts with one step and we all started with just a dream..... so give it heck CH we look forward to helping one of our own......
ED Privott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Already made my first mistake.

The good part is that I found several well-documented fantastic bus builds with lots and lots of pics!
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran (International)
Chassis: Gensis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 74
can you share the forums with well-documented fantastic bus builds with lots and lots of pics!
slager55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by slager55 View Post
can you share the forums with well-documented fantastic bus builds with lots and lots of pics!
www.skoolie.net
Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #10

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 250HP
Rated Cap: 66
Hi, I'm new and also from New Mexico. We just started retrofitting our new-to-us 37-foot RE Bluebird. I love reading about all the conversions!
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
Hi, I'm new and also from New Mexico. We just started retrofitting our new-to-us 37-foot RE Bluebird. I love reading about all the conversions!
Welcome to this great bus forum! What part of NM?

There are a lot of great builds happening in this forum. I can't keep up with them all but I do get some great inspiration and encouragement!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #12

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 250HP
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Ham View Post
Welcome to this great bus forum! What part of NM?

There are a lot of great builds happening in this forum. I can't keep up with them all but I do get some great inspiration and encouragement!
We're from Albuquerque also, Ventana Ranch West (if you know the area, you've probably seen our bus parked in various places - we keep moving it around so we don't piss off the HOA too much ).

My husband did a TON of research, and we decided to buy a bus from Colorado, because of the high elevation modifications (engine retarder for downhills, larger engine with turbo for torque needed on uphills, fewer problems with mold/rust). If you ever do decide to buy a bus, definitely check with Charles Kern in Denver (we bought our bus from him on Craigslist). He is a bus connoisseur who buys up old buses and converts them for event transportation services to cut down on drunk driving. He also did his own skoolie conversion that ended up being an HGTV tiny house episode! Super, super nice guy. He might even be a member here - I haven't checked.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: 1959 Chevy
Engine: 350
NM

Hey all of us NM folk need to find a way to get together on things I'm up in Dixon. Good to see other people with buses around.
Sky
sky nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
Charles Kern in Denver (we bought our bus from him on Craigslist). He is a bus connoisseur who buys up old buses and converts them for event transportation services to cut down on drunk driving. He also did his own skoolie conversion that ended up being an HGTV tiny house episode! Super, super nice guy. He might even be a member here - I haven't checked.
Indeed he is... (to all of what you said)
Skoolie.net - View Profile: charles_m
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote