Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Another mom/son pair

We recently went to an unschooler's conference, and one of the sessions there was about bus conversions. My oldest (17) revealed that he'd been thinking about converting a bus for a while, and so I went to both of the sessions at the conference hoping to get some information on what all converting a bus entails. None of us (either my children, my husband, nor I) have really any automotive background or skills, so this is all a bit overwhelming but exciting at the same time.

So now everywhere I drive, I'm seeing vehicles and imagining them transformed!

I ran across this one at an upcoming auction that may suit what he's looking for. Wondered what you all thought about it:

2006 FORD E-350 ECOLINE CUT-A-WAY VAN

neomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
ummm...

So,being new to the concept of skoolies, but fairly well versed in machines. I will offer these things to consider.

This is light duty. It is not going to handle much off pavement very well. Engine compartment is cramped. Not fun to work on. Seems kinda short, I dont have a good idea, but seems like a six footer is going to be hitting their noggin a lot. Small space.

This is pretty common kind of truck/van. If the budget is really tight you will find lots of salvage yard parts. If you need repairs, many people have worked on this sort of driveline.

Find a trusted experienced car/truck to help evaluate condition. When ever possible go to the person responsible for past maintenance. Talk to them.

Read more here to learn about mistakes made in purchases so that you do not repeat them. lean what has gone well and try to figure out why it went right so you can do that too.

good luck, william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Is this for him/fam to build but he will be the main one dwelling in it? I think its great for a single young adult for travelling. That being a van cut away you will be working on a van when needs work. As said you can't stack a ton of weight on it but will probably be fine if you keep the crazy lifestyle decor out.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

He is wanting it as a way to travel back and forth to North Dakota from Ohio. He’s not planning it as a place to live, just camp temporarily or short term living, so a place to stay while he’s in North Dakota.
neomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If it's an occasional use camper it might be great. Especially if it goes cheap and doesn't have any big undisclosed issues.

Generally speaking its hard to make recommendations to people without mechanical ability, because there is usually a lot of building in the process, and things get really expensive really quickly if you're paying someone else to do them. Maybe it's an opportunity for him to learn?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
If it's an occasional use camper it might be great. Especially if it goes cheap and doesn't have any big undisclosed issues.

Generally speaking its hard to make recommendations to people without mechanical ability, because there is usually a lot of building in the process, and things get really expensive really quickly if you're paying someone else to do them. Maybe it's an opportunity for him to learn?
As a former homeschooling mom who is now converting a skoolie with her college son who is home for the summer, I can attest that EVERYTHING is a an opportunity to learn. This is one of the main reasons I said yes when my son suggested this. We've both learned a lot already and we are really just starting.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: e350
I have a Ford e350 that I bought as a mothers day present to myself and just took it camping with my two kids (age 24 and 13). It was plenty of room, I parked in regular parking spaces, my GPS told me to go up a windy mountain road and it handled fine. I would encourage this vehicle if it is going to be used as a part time camper and not a full time residence. I love mine. One consideration is that if the chassis is fiberglass, as mine is, you cant use magnets to hang things. But the fiberglass body resulted in very decent gas mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1296.jpg   IMG_1312.jpg  
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I seriously doubt your chassis is fiberglass. The chassis is the metal framework base of the vehicle. You may have a FG box.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

The body is fiberglass. Not the chassis. I stand corrected.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
The body is fiberglass. Not the chassis. I stand corrected.
No worries. I'm sure every single person here knew what you meant, but just didn't have an overwhelming urge to point out your misuse of the term.

You could probably use Velcro to hang things on your walls.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
No worries. I'm sure every single person here knew what you meant, but just didn't have an overwhelming urge to point out your misuse of the term.

You could probably use Velcro to hang things on your walls.
Was that really needed? Keep it up.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks plfking. I used 3M products to hang hooks for the curtains and that worked well, but the smaller 3M clips came right off when the weather turned hot. I will try Velcro next, thanks for the suggestion!