Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Another Texan in the mix...

I've lurked a while on the site and have learned a lot so far. I bought a bus about 10 years ago on a whim. I was looking for a storage building for the stuff around the house. On the way to a job in the area southwest of Ft. Worth, I saw a bus for sale as I drove down the highway between Dallas and Cleburne.
I u-turned and thirty minutes later that Monday morning, I owned a former Austin ISD then DeSoto Private Parochial School bus. Friday of that week, I had arranged fora couple of folks to meet me at the school and drive my car and follow me the 130 miles back to East Texas.

This bus is out back, having served its purpose as a storage building all this time.

I remember back in the mid-'80s when I 'borrowed' a friend/mentor's schoolie for about a year, when I returned to college. It was a '58 Ford that he converted sometime around '70. i had to get a buddy to drive me 400 miles to west Texas to get the bus, as he had used it to move when he got a job in Snyder. It had been sitting for almost two years when I got there. We put a little fresh gas in the carb, hooked up the jumper cables, and the sturdy Y-block 292 fired to life. I then drove it the 400 miles to a a friend's pasture for a year of boondocking and college. No electric, no running water, just beer and sandwiches from a cooler, studying by lamplight, and showers wherever I could manage.

Thirty years later, I'm remembering those "fun" days and thinking I can semi-retire from my semi-self-unemployed state in life into a traveling home.

I look forward to learning more from the folks here and maybe adding some insight from a lifetime of dirt-track racing, beer drinking, car repair/restoration, construction work, land title/oil&gas work, with over a quarter-century of marrage (yes, I spelled it that way for a reason, but I love her anyway) and two kids now in college.

I have my eye out for a suitable conversion project, but I'm in no hurry as I wait for the right one to find me.

Old'skool is offline   Reply With Quote