Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #1

Art Bus in NYC

Goodmorning!!! My name is Tiffany Pierce! I am a mom of an 8yr old, an art educator, business owner, instructions designer, and I love bringing communities of people together!

At this end of this month, wow, I guess next Saturday, I’m starting a fundraiser to help me raise funds for an art bus for NYC! This bus will serve as a mobile brick and mortar art studio for kids and adults! My studio is TheArtTableStudio.com and we’ve been in operation since 2013. The Art Table Studio is a mobile studio (by foot, train, bus, or Uber) lol, for children and adults. Last year we experienced more growth than before and THIS year have more than tripled! For this reason it’s time for us to take mobile model to its next iteration, which is a mobile on wheels bus!

I’ve been researching for at least 4 years about converted school buses and the unique nature of NYC, as I haven’t seen many successful art buses. We have a mobile game truck, BioBus, dog grooming trucks, mobile libraries, meditation bus, and medical service. But no art bus.

I’d love to see if I have my information accurate as far as pricing, as I will be buying our bus by December 31 to begin the gutting and fabrication process for the fresh beginning of 2020!!! I want us up and operational by; May 2020.

Can you guys confirm:
- BEST bus conversion company? I’m in NYC I will have no time or space to do the conversion myself, I will really need a reliable company. My aesthetic is TruFormTiny.com. And cost of conversion (no bathroom, kitchen, bedroom)?

- BEST bus to get that has a sunroof and should I entertain, wheelchair accessible door? I’ve read a lot about Blue Birds and Thomas. It can’t be longer than 40 feet. Think NYC narrow streets double side parking. Lol I also needs to be newer, as I’d rather not work with the mechanics of a faulty bus to save money on the top. I’d rather spend and save on the back end in repairs.

- HOW MUCH should a 5yr old bus cost? Just the bus.

- INSURANCE, can you give me a range?

- AC and GENERATORS. (Quiet ones). Lol Brands, specs, and cost

-FLOORING (walls, ceiling) I want to be covered in wood beautiful homey wood. Are there kinds that you don’t recommend and do?

- INSULATION. I’m concerned about the cold season in NYC. Our bus will have to be super insulated as we will have kids and even babies attending classes within. Any recommendations to keep it super toasty?

- ITEMIZED monthly budget for an off-grid bus only sink (no bathroom) cost. I will not be living in this. It will only be used as a commercial vehicle.

- PARKING. When you visit big cities for those who might have commercial skoolies, where do you park?

IS $150k reasonable for a start up for converted school bus turned art studio for kids? We will be on the road daily visiting schools, orgs, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
DDC81DFC-1F42-4983-B38A-F714C1D3C649.jpg   E6EF16C2-7944-43CE-B482-5E083D029E25.png  

manna4ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Nice, ambitious goal. I hope you make it a success!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #3

Thanks so much! Any feedback or advice?
manna4ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
I found a friend for you.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by manna4ang View Post
Thanks so much! Any feedback or advice?
A used bookmobile bus is usually already well insulated with spray foam and plumbed for heat/ac.

I realize that's a bit of a unicorn among a herd of horses but still worth checking...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art bus, blue bird, bus conversion company