Old 10-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
Skoolie

Engine runs fine, no misses or apparent lack of power, which makes me feel a little more confident that it's not about to completely die on me. No warning lights are illuminated and temperatures seem fine.

I didn't notice a diagnostic button (or the port) at the dash, perhaps it was under the dash and I didn't notice. I did notice a metal box in the engine compartment with a diagnostic port, keyed switch for starting the engine etc.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
since your is RE the port and button may be only in the back.. or there may niot be a button.. I have almost no knowledge of RE busses.. ive only ever had dognose busses...

one thing to keep an eye on is oil-level.. if an injector over-fuels it can send fuel into the opil pan and make your oil level go UP and your oil may smell like diesel-fuel after a bit and be thinned..

I run some diesel-KLEEN in mine just for kicks.. you should have all your bad fuel worked out after a long trip like that... but injector cleaner shouldnt hurt.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
Skoolie

I will have a look for the port under the dash when I go back to pick it up. I only had a short time before I had to take off to Georgia for work so I may have just overlooked it.

I plan on throwing some injector cleaner through it before leaving on the journey home. I also will take some oil for the journey in case I am actually losing some. What would be a good oil for topping up with on the T444e?

Also one thing I forgot to mention before. I was pleasantly surprised that at 6'3" I can't stand upright and still have a little head clearance. I didn't realize that they made them with tall interiors like this.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Shell Rotella T 15W40.... when I was driving my big rig that's all I ever used in it.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
Bus Geek

+1 for Rotella T.. we ran it way back when in our international scout diesels.. they ran better on that than they did with the DELVAC 1 synthetic..

6'6" is a standard height on a lot of the "tall window" busses... esp handicap busses were made this way so the workers could easily work with and move around handicap children either in their wheel chairs.. or help them to their seats..

-Christopher
Old 10-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #16
Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Wow! Congrats on that price!
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i-...bus-12296.html
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:23 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Delo 400, Delvac, Ursa, and Rotella are all good oils. You should be able to use any of them with confidence.

You will want to use 15w-40 weight oil.

And DO NOT use the LE formula of any of those oils. It isn't reverse compatible for engines built to run on pre-2007 emissions.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
Skoolie

Well it looks like there is a plan coming together.... due to a storage fee about to kick in at the auction yard I will be driving up tomorrow to pick up the bus and driving it back to Louisiana over Monday/Tuesday.

If you see a smokey bus on the side of the road on I-85 on Monday stop and say hi
Old 10-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I might be on I-75 monday in georgia as I head back to FL (but not in a bus)
-Christopher
Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Do a double-dose of Diesel Kleen (grey bottle) and an oil change, then run it hard. I had a "sticky" injector on mine, and after a few hundred miles with good oil and injector cleaner, it was a new machine.

Absolutely wont hurt a thing to try it.