Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
If I can get 65mph and have a reliable motor I would be delighted!! Being such a heavy vehicle I am anticipating 50mph cruising on the way home
I can't begin to give you even the remotest of details but one of the bus drivers I had in HS got pulled over for 70mph on I-10.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I got my insurance through Progressive. Make sure you contact Progressive Commercial and not Progressive Auto. When they ask for business type there is an option for "personal use only".

It was really no problem at all except for my state (Louisiana) having higher state minimum levels of coverage than most states, resulting in a slightly higher premium than I wanted to pay.
Thank you... unfortunately they won't touch me in NY :'(
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #103
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Thank you... unfortunately they won't touch me in NY :'(
Really? What reason did they give?

Have you had any luck with any other company?
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #104
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Really? What reason did they give?

Have you had any luck with any other company?
I've called a bunch and it gets looking real good and then they get my address and decline me. I just got discouraged and didn't ask why.
I read in another thread that actually going in to see an agent works well. That'll be my next move.
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #105
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
If I can get 65mph and have a reliable motor I would be delighted!! Being such a heavy vehicle I am anticipating 50mph cruising on the way home
It's mostly downhill; just push it if it stalls.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #106
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
It's mostly downhill; just push it if it stalls.
19,000lbs rolling downhill should give me plenty of momentum to make it home

I actually have time to rebuild my turbo today, should be starting in the next hour or so. I hope to find a completely destroyed oil seal!!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #107
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
hopefully!! thats easier than having to start changing injectors..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Suspense....

Quote:
19,000lbs rolling downhill should give me plenty of momentum to make it home

I actually have time to rebuild my turbo today, should be starting in the next hour or so. I hope to find a completely destroyed oil seal!!
Me too! good luck! I watch this thread like a Hollywood movie. This is my type of entertainment/ suspense. I am rooting for a sweet running V8 Diesel ride home.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #109
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
hopefully!! thats easier than having to start changing injectors..
-Christopher
I agree! Just pulling out that one that was suspect was a real pain in the butt. Pulling the other seven would really really be a bad day!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #110
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
Me too! good luck! I watch this thread like a Hollywood movie. This is my type of entertainment/ suspense. I am rooting for a sweet running V8 Diesel ride home.

Not as much as I am I dont even need the sweet running right now. I would just settle for getting home to where I can work on it whenever I want!

The turbo rebuild came to a halt tonight. I need a 1/4 drive 5/16th deep socket for two of the bolts, my 3/8 drive socket is too chunky to fit. I do have a 1/4 drive but it is a 6-point and the bolt is a 12-point.

I will stop at harbor freight tomorrow and finish the job tomorrow. I really hope to get the bus home soon with minimal work, I just won another auction for a '79 Peugeot 504 in Arizona and I need to go pick that up too! On that subject....if anyone has a trailer they would be willing to loan/rent for a cheap price let me know! Im not paying the $400 that U-haul wants as that is twice the price of the car!
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #111
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Im not paying the $400 that U-haul wants as that is twice the price of the car!
A suggestion for getting around that..... rent the trailer at your local U-haul before you go pick it up, for however many days you will be gone.... you only get charged the in-town rate. I did that when I had a 250 mile move... took several trips but the $150 for 5 days was a lot better than the $600 one-way for a truck for the distance I was going.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #112
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
A suggestion for getting around that..... rent the trailer at your local U-haul before you go pick it up, for however many days you will be gone.... you only get charged the in-town rate. I did that when I had a 250 mile move... took several trips but the $150 for 5 days was a lot better than the $600 one-way for a truck for the distance I was going.
i tried quoting for that too and for the 5 days I would be booking it comes to roughly the same price

No worries, I will figure something out

I finally finished the turbo rebuild tonight. I didnt really find any smoking gun other than the oil seal ring seemed to be quite loose, although I wouldnt say too excessive. Either way, I should be able to get back up to Maryland next week and get it installed. Hopefully this cures it. Other than that I must assume it is an injector issue, which would really suck and may end my ownership of this bus, I cant really justify driving a 2400mile round trip several times until I cure the issue.

Fingers crossed it doesnt come to that!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #113
Bus Geek

buy an injector and take it with you.... as much as id love it to be the turbo.. to me its acted injector-like all along..

peugoet 504... I had a 1980 Peugeot 505 Diesel as my first car... first engine I ever rebuilt too! blew a head gasket and steamed a piston... so at 19 years old I had a diesel engine rebuild under my belt.. LOL..
-Christopher
Old 11-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #114
Skoolie

Quote:
buy an injector and take it with you.... as much as id love it to be the turbo.. to me its acted injector-like all along..

peugoet 504... I had a 1980 Peugeot 505 Diesel as my first car... first engine I ever rebuilt too! blew a head gasket and steamed a piston... so at 19 years old I had a diesel engine rebuild under my belt.. LOL..
-Christopher
With so much oil, are you thinking injector seal rather than the injector itself? I only pulled the valvecover off that one bank and I didnt see a smoking gun (other than that curious mark on the cover)

I was quite pleased with the purchase! I sold my last project (1969 Fiat 124 spider) last year, so I have been on the lookout for something interesting. And being that it is the station-wagon version it is family friendly! I plan on using it as my toad. I would have loved to get a diesel version, but mine is the gas. Sounds like you are a handy guy around for diesel troubleshooting! How far away from MD are you?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #115
Skoolie

Quote:
Also, if it were an injector issue, wouldnt there be oil in the fuel filter bowl? I read that in quite a few places, however I dont have any up there.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #116
Bus Geek

Quote:
Also, if it were an injector issue, wouldnt there be oil in the fuel filter bowl? I read that in quite a few places, however I dont have any up there.

I hadnt read that one... but it would make sense if fuel is returned froi mthe injectors to the bowl.. but what if there is a hairline crack in the injector body causing to leak around.. not an O-ring issue (you changed those I think).. or possibly the onjector hopld down is not right since you see a pattern on thje valve cover..

im just thinking of being prepared to make the most of a trip.. and be ready to run it valve cover iopen if necessary..

someone installed a Reman turbo recently for a reason... I dont often hear of these turbos going bad so soon even Reman..

-Christopher
Old 11-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #117
Skoolie

Quote:
I hadnt read that one... but it would make sense if fuel is returned froi mthe injectors to the bowl.. but what if there is a hairline crack in the injector body causing to leak around.. not an O-ring issue (you changed those I think).. or possibly the onjector hopld down is not right since you see a pattern on thje valve cover..

im just thinking of being prepared to make the most of a trip.. and be ready to run it valve cover iopen if necessary..

someone installed a Reman turbo recently for a reason... I dont often hear of these turbos going bad so soon even Reman..

-Christopher
I changed the o-rings on that one injector that had the weird marks on the valve cover, plus the wet looking manifold/head joint. I was hoping to find a smoking gun on the turbo rebuild, but didnt, so the plan right now is to get back up there and reinstall. Fire it up and see if that made any difference. If not I will use my IR Temp gun to try and identify any head difference on the exhaust manifold headers that show perhaps one cylinder running cooler than the rest. This may lead me to which injector could be the issue if we get that far. If that doesnt work I will remove the valve covers again and run without to see if it shows anything.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #118
Skoolie

Would the use of the servicemaxx software help with troubleshooting this issue in any way?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #119
Bus Geek

I was trying to think if it would or not... you can run injecotr tests and what not.. but you are firing on all cylinders from the way you describe and the ampunt of smoke. i suppose you could see if the HPOP pressure is low or the IPR command is high meaning oil would be escaping somewhere...

I'll look in the software and see if theres any tests that might benefit.. , though my NEXIQ is in Ohio and im in florida without an easy way to send it to you.

im not sure if unplugging the injectors one by one would help or not... if the oil is getting mixed with fuel then it might affect the smoke, but if the oil is just getting by the injector on its own, its still going to get in there whether the computer commands that injector or not.

diesel engine cylinders will fire-on and burn opil just like fuel..

of course the first step is to see if its the turbo.
-Christopher
Old 11-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #120
Skoolie

Quote:
I was trying to think if it would or not... you can run injecotr tests and what not.. but you are firing on all cylinders from the way you describe and the ampunt of smoke. i suppose you could see if the HPOP pressure is low or the IPR command is high meaning oil would be escaping somewhere...

I'll look in the software and see if theres any tests that might benefit.. , though my NEXIQ is in Ohio and im in florida without an easy way to send it to you.

im not sure if unplugging the injectors one by one would help or not... if the oil is getting mixed with fuel then it might affect the smoke, but if the oil is just getting by the injector on its own, its still going to get in there whether the computer commands that injector or not.

diesel engine cylinders will fire-on and burn opil just like fuel..

of course the first step is to see if its the turbo.
-Christopher
I wasnt sure if the software would really be able to show much in a circumstance such as this, and I really didnt want to spend $700 for cable! What a crazy price! But if I could pick one up on ebay or something then perhaps I would invest if it was certain to help troubleshoot.

With regards to the oil getting past the injector, would that change the smoke density/cloud size depending on load? Surely that would be quite consistent? Right now I have only a little at idle, but then road-closing clouds when on load. I would have thought that oil passing an injector would be dumping a pretty consistent amount into the cylinder regardless of load.