Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
BC momma with no clue!!!

Single momma with two lovely girls. I am currently on the hunt for our bus, but have no idea where to look or what to look for. I want to make sure I do this the right way.

My dream, much like everyone else is to make our skoolie home a reality. I am currently in the military and am gone from my children too much. I find it so hard to be away and want to finally be around to raise my girls right.

That's where my dream comes in!! Any help on where to start would be great. I am also concerned about importing if I find one in the US.

I know I want a Bluebird All American with no air brakes (they scare me for some reason), 40ft. The engine and everything is very foreign to me. I plan on living full time in the bus and doing TONS of travel in North America.

Thanks for your advice and guidance 😊
Cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,770
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Cristal,

There are plenty of knowledgeable and generous folks here to help you on your quest.

One opening suggestion. I would, before you buy a bus, try and get a little more comfortable with air brakes.

I wonder if we may have a member in your area that could give you an introduction.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 588
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Welcome to the site Cristal.
Thank you for your military service. I can't imagine the difficulty of raising 2 children while on active military duty!

Not sure if such a bus exists with hydraulic brakes vs air, on a 40 footer? Others above my paygrade will have to chime in to confirm or clarify what options you have on brakes.

Anyhoo, are you planning on doing the conversion work yourself, or are you looking to buy a turn key fully converted bus?

My suggestion to you would be to research more info on here on what type of travel you plan on doing in it. Are you waiting until you get out of the military, or are you going to keep it somewhere off base? (Not sure if you could keep it on base and live in it too?)

Once all that is figured out, you'll be more informed on the other specs you'll need in your bus if you want to comfortably and safely live with your daughters in it.
Good luck on your search and in your dream of being a bus dweller!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome Cristal,

There are plenty of knowledgeable and generous folks here to help you on your quest.

One opening suggestion. I would, before you buy a bus, try and get a little more comfortable with air brakes.

I wonder if we may have a member in your area that could give you an introduction.

Good luck.

I live in Victoria! I can definitely try and get used to air brakes, I even have an endorsement from my military training. I noticed that you happen to have the kind of bus I am looking for. Was it easy to find??
Cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Thank you!

I plan on trying to do some of the converting by myself and then sending to the pros if I cant figure it out. I have a place in my city where I can store it and work on it. I plan on travelling full time with the girls after I release. I will work on the bus and continue to serve until everything is good to go.
Cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,770
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal View Post
I live in Victoria! I can definitely try and get used to air brakes, I even have an endorsement from my military training. I noticed that you happen to have the kind of bus I am looking for. Was it easy to find??
They come up at the auctions with some regularity. Unfortunately demand is growing and the supply is diminishing.

I watched the auction sites daily for about 18 months. I bid on close to 20 buses before I successfully bid on mine. I am glad I exercised the patience to stick to my guns and get the bus I wanted and not settle for less.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal View Post
Single momma with two lovely girls. I am currently on the hunt for our bus, but have no idea where to look or what to look for. I want to make sure I do this the right way.

My dream, much like everyone else is to make our skoolie home a reality. I am currently in the military and am gone from my children too much. I find it so hard to be away and want to finally be around to raise my girls right.

That's where my dream comes in!! Any help on where to start would be great. I am also concerned about importing if I find one in the US.

I know I want a Bluebird All American with no air brakes (they scare me for some reason), 40ft. The engine and everything is very foreign to me. I plan on living full time in the bus and doing TONS of travel in North America.

Thanks for your advice and guidance 😊
I have seen 40' buses with hydraulic brakes from Alberta and Saskatchewan advertised in KIJIJI - for a motorhome you can get an air endorsement without having to take the full commercial course
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,770
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I have seen 40' buses with hydraulic brakes from Alberta and Saskatchewan advertised in KIJIJI - for a motorhome you can get an air endorsement without having to take the full commercial course
Forgot about you all having to get the air brake endorsement.

I enjoy the benefits of not having to get special licensing but I do also question the wisdom of letting anyone who can pass a driving test in their Yugo jump right into a 40k pound RV and hit the road.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I have seen 40' buses with hydraulic brakes from Alberta and Saskatchewan advertised in KIJIJI - for a motorhome you can get an air endorsement without having to take the full commercial course

I said no air brakes because of the complexity of things if it breaks down. I wouldn't say no to it. I am just not at all mechanically inclined. I need to just jump right in and stop being scared, it limits what I can buy!
Cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal View Post
I said no air brakes because of the complexity of things if it breaks down. I wouldn't say no to it. I am just not at all mechanically inclined. I need to just jump right in and stop being scared, it limits what I can buy!
the course does teach how to adjust your airbrakes - it's a simple process if you know what you are doing - properly adjusted airbrakes are important for safety reasons
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×