Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

brand new here from, boston ma

hello
I have sooo many questions

shines101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Such as???????? Point one, begin reading threads. Some on this site tend to be a bit judgmental to noobs that don't read threads first before asking questions. Just a heads-up. Suggestion: read some threads before asking questions to find out how the people here build, and what kind of builds you're interested in.

Just a thought.

M1031.....
Old 09-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Point 2, dial in a place to park and work on it (they should be the same location), insurance and state-specific requirements for flipping the title from bus to RV

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

thanks

Cool

I appreciate all the input. I have some experience with the trades. I think I can do a conversion if I have access to information from some experienced skoolies. My questions right now are the same ones everyone comes in with: Can I really do this? How far off-grid can I get? Is bigger better? Where can I park? Do I need special tools beyond what I already have? What are the insulation considerations? Where will I get water? How much wattage will I need? How many panels and batteries are needed for that wattage? Should I establish redundant systems for power and water?

And blah blah blah you get the idea.

I will read up before I jump in the deep end.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines101 View Post
Cool

I appreciate all the input. I have some experience with the trades. I think I can do a conversion if I have access to information from some experienced skoolies. My questions right now are the same ones everyone comes in with: Can I really do this? How far off-grid can I get? Is bigger better? Where can I park? Do I need special tools beyond what I already have? What are the insulation considerations? Where will I get water? How much wattage will I need? How many panels and batteries are needed for that wattage? Should I establish redundant systems for power and water?

And blah blah blah you get the idea.

I will read up before I jump in the deep end.

Welcome.

All that info is waiting for you in the build thread section. I would start with threads over 20 pages. That way you will get passed all the failed builds that never go anywhere.

Asking questions will only get you opinions, not experience. The build threads will share the experience they learned the hard way.

If I can't see someone do it, I don't even want to hear what they have to say. People run their mouths far too much.

Glad to have you here. We always like to see one more.

We all look forward to pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

People run their mouths far too much.

Nat
Try to ignore the people here who think that their post count makes them special.

There are plenty of very experienced people here who will answer any newbie questions you have.

Welcome!
ElizaHasAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I agree that the build threads should be your first stop. You'll find ideas and pitfalls you never thought of. Anyone with experience in the trades should be well able to do a conversion though it took me a little time to wrap my head around getting 120v AC, 12v DC and solar to play together.

First thing, make sure you can park the thing at home without hassle from the neighbors or city Powers That Be.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #8

Started reading the electricity safety thread and also scoping out a place to locate/plant the bus for work. Got some ideas for models and engines and trannys off the board already. I'm just gonna go really slow for this stage and look around really carefully til I find something close to EXACTLY what I want.

I plan to live in the converted skoolie full time. Like, it will be my house. My biggest question right now is: should I go directly after a 37-40 footer? Is there any reason to go smaller?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
If you go shorter you can call it a practice run to gain some
experience and go larger later.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote