Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southeastern Maine
Posts: 3
Brand New, Lifelong Dream

Converting a bus into a long-haul RV has been a lifelong goal of mine, and at forty-hrumfrumnf years old, I'm actually going to do it.

The bus I'm looking at is a '04 Thomas / Freightliner with a Mercedes diesel. Less than 150k miles, around $2500. Just decommissioned form a local school department.

It seems like one of the better ones (and better deals) I've found, so I'm inclined to jump on it- Although I'd appreciate any advice.
MikeTheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 492
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Engine parts are big$$. If you can't do engine repairs yourself, be ready to shell out copious amounts of your money to pay a shop to work on it. IF you can find anyone to work on it, especially when you're out on the open road.

Emissions controls restrict performance greatly starting in 04.
If it was me, I'd look for an 03 or older.
Good luck if you go for this one.
Look around on here for more details on the EPA mandated BS that are thrown on 04-up busses...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 368
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheBard View Post
Converting a bus into a long-haul RV has been a lifelong goal of mine, and at forty-hrumfrumnf years old, I'm actually going to do it.

The bus I'm looking at is a '04 Thomas / Freightliner with a Mercedes diesel. Less than 150k miles, around $2500. Just decommissioned form a local school department.

It seems like one of the better ones (and better deals) I've found, so I'm inclined to jump on it- Although I'd appreciate any advice.
Live the dream brother. $2500 is practically free. It's not a Gillig (joking), but I presume you have been looking around and have seen other options? If this is the bus, just go get it.
__________________
Rick <>< - Comfort Eagle (Bird Strike) - Solar/Batteries - Seat - Door - Dash - Mini Split - Fuse Box - Wood Stove
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southeastern Maine
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Emissions controls restrict performance greatly starting in 04.
If it was me, I'd look for an 03 or older.
I was reading the thread about having to beg the manufacturer to be allowed to use the transmission for what it was designed for, and kind of horrified- I'm a big proponent of right to repair laws, genuine ownership, etc., and hadn't realized how badly busses were affected by the whole you-don't-actually-own-anything trend.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...ial-21661.html

Kind of makes me want to look for something from the 60s, honestly.
MikeTheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
solvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Trans - Allison MD3060 (unlocked)
Rated Cap: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheBard View Post
I was reading the thread about having to beg the manufacturer to be allowed to use the transmission for what it was designed for, and kind of horrified- I'm a big proponent of right to repair laws, genuine ownership, etc., and hadn't realized how badly busses were affected by the whole you-don't-actually-own-anything trend.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...ial-21661.html

Kind of makes me want to look for something from the 60s, honestly.
Your spot on about not really owning anything. If your taxed on it every year, your just renting it.

Good luck in your search.
__________________
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/members/18942-albums1766.html
solvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,872
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the MBE engine if its running good now is an excellent engine.. yes it can be expensive to fix.. but do remember mercedes has been making TRUCK ENGINES for a very long time.. they are tried and true.. my guess its its a variant of the MBE906.. in 04 it likely wasnt yet the MBE926...


-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.