Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus Virgin (soon to be Newbie) saying hello !

Hello from central NY (syracuse area)

So, I do not currently have a bus - but am in the market for one. I need something larger than my current vehicle to move rescue dogs. 35 years old and I have a little over 800,000 miles under my belt traveling from NY to FL primarily. Plans will be a small conversion to sleep in when needed, with a majority of the space set aside for 36" dog crates -- as I typically move adult pits/bully breeds. I promise to use search before asking questions.

sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! Great breeds. Take good care of them.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

This is the bus I may get in trade... 2001 Thomas MVP-ER w/ the CAT 3126 and Allison trans (not sure which yet)
Attached Thumbnails
00I0I_brOcwVgqzy7_600x450.jpg   00s0s_jyQed0VEtpW_1200x900.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Depending upon what service the original owners wanted that bus to do it will either be geared low for round robin shuttle driving while never going very fast or it was an activity type of bus that was geared for highway driving.

I am not a big fan of Cat engines in trucks and buses. The 3126 had some real issues when they first came out. Most of those issues were ironed out while still under warranty. But the fact remains that service is harder to find than for a Cummins and the parts are sold in gold boxes for a reason--you will need a lot to pay to take the part home.

The fact the bus has tinted windows and coach A/C should be a big plus for you while transporting dogs in the hot months.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Depending upon what service the original owners wanted that bus to do it will either be geared low for round robin shuttle driving while never going very fast or it was an activity type of bus that was geared for highway driving.

I am not a big fan of Cat engines in trucks and buses. The 3126 had some real issues when they first came out. Most of those issues were ironed out while still under warranty. But the fact remains that service is harder to find than for a Cummins and the parts are sold in gold boxes for a reason--you will need a lot to pay to take the part home.

The fact the bus has tinted windows and coach A/C should be a big plus for you while transporting dogs in the hot months.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
Yeah, I have no idea exactly how it is setup trans wise - and trust me I would rather have a cummins as well -- but the person with this bus, is swapping me for my pickup truck because he supports the cause. So unless someone comes around with a better bus to swap, it is what it is
Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome! Great breeds. Take good care of them.
I got involved with rescue "by accident" in 2014.... and deal almost exclusively pit/bullys and it has been wonderful.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparq View Post
This is the bus I may get in trade... 2001 Thomas MVP-ER w/ the CAT 3126 and Allison trans (not sure which yet)

Likely an md 3060 like mine.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Likely an md 3060 like mine.
Yeah, pretty sure it is but I haven't been to the bus to poke around yet. Its in NC I am in NY. We are doing a straight up trade for my pickup truck... im getting the WAYYYYYYY better of the deal, but the guy is happy to support my rescue dog cause so thats why he is doing it. There was an Eldorado with the cummings 5.9 available as well, but I would probably have to throw a little cash in with that one cause its a little nicer, more desirable engine etc. But all I need is a big box to move (primarily) in a straight line... as my route is from Southern Florida up to NY, and some times up towards Maine all on I81/I95 ... the Thomas, and 3126 should be just fine.