Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

car dweller from Socal

Hello everyone!

I'm currently living out of a car in SoCal chasing my goals to grow my current project into a non profit to help homeless & disabled veterans reintegrate with society.

After reading all of the wonderful stories, builds, and adventures you have all posted, thought I'd start my own skoolie build. The car I have now serves me well but could really use some more space.

My plan: to get a diesel pusher with a solid engine and transmission and pull the car behind. The interior is going to be gutted, sealed, and insulated.

LincolnEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Sounds like you are a man/woman with a plan!

Go for it!

Finding affordable used that can still be licensed in CA may be a problem. The clean air Nazi's are really limiting what can and cannot be licensed in CA these days.

Make sure before you plunk down hard earned $$$ you determine whether or not your bus can be licensed and operated in CA.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Sounds like you are a man/woman with a plan!

Go for it!

Finding affordable used that can still be licensed in CA may be a problem. The clean air Nazi's are really limiting what can and cannot be licensed in CA these days.

Make sure before you plunk down hard earned $$$ you determine whether or not your bus can be licensed and operated in CA.

Good luck and happy trails to you!

I am still confused about a CA reg. I just renewed my FL car registration it's not going to expire anytime soon. I could always use that old address... Since I don't really have a "brick and mortar" I could always call an adjacent state the "home" state. I dunno?? Saw some purchase videos and they were speaking of a North Dakota RV registration??? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

There's a good thread in the "insurance" topic covering this very subject. Evidently Vermont is very friendly towards out-of-state registrants.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
There's a good thread in the "insurance" topic covering this very subject. Evidently Vermont is very friendly towards out-of-state registrants.
Dan, looks like I've got some reading to do. thanks for the point in the right direction.

Driving to AZ this weekend to look at a skoolie with seats/floor taken out. The seller is really cool, he told me about the bus and history. I told him of my plans to use the bus as a bunk house during the hosted outings I plan to do around the country. He said the bus is a rust free AZ used and had plenty of space for bunks.

This "Skoolie" community is really full of genuine people that are passionate about this way of life, looking forward to this journey ahead. Hope to run into some of you.