Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

ceilings

I am planning on using sintra (expanded foam pvc) for my ceiling because of its flexibility. I was thinking of using automotive panel clips in the original rivet holes. I would cover the metal ribs with felt to prevent heat transfer and noise. These are made of plastic and come in lots of colors. Has anyone used these clips in building their bus?

If I don't do sintra I was thinking of using bendy board. Any experience with that? How did you attach it to the ribs?

Thanks

tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Sintra

Sintra is a lightweight yet rigid board of moderately expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC) extruded in a homogenous sheet with a low gloss matte finish.

I can't tell from your sig how large your bus is, but if it is a full-sized bus then you will need a couple hundred square feet of each of those materials. It will get spendy.

Bendy board is a hoot- have some in my garage. We'd use it in the cabinet shop to make those curvy-front cabinets and cover with exotic veneer in the vac press. It looked stunning.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Haven't worked with the Sintra but bender board is fun to play with. Formed my very rounded corners with it.

Added some insulation to the backside then...

...wrapped it into the corners. I am going with a painted finish on this part of the woodwork.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I have a p30 carpenter body shortie, so would only need 3 or 4 sheets. The 3mm board is about $40, so expense won't be too bad. Plus if I attach directly I won't need studs.

Tango, how did you attach your boards?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Bus Geek

On my rig, I first made a few wooden brackets that are glued & screwed to the floor. The paneling is then screwed into them. At the top is a similar arrangement with the screws first going through the sheet-metal.

BTW...the bender board is only about 5/16" thick and is set flush into the surrounding 1/2" ply via a routed relief.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #6

Year: 2002
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 2.6L Diesel
Rated Cap: 13A 20C
Brand newbie here.... I'm very interested in the bendy board but can't seem to find it in full sheets? Are you all working with 2 x 4 pieces? Where are you finding this stuff? Nothing at Lowes or Home Depot that I can find other than the 2 x 4 x 1/4 MDF. Thanks
GoatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
does a us require anything more rigid in the ceiling to prevent flex? or would flex in cold weather pop the clips on the plastic-board?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Christopher, I don't know, that's why I was curious if anyone had any experience. The 3mm sintra is very flexible, I've used it to wrap a 6 inch tube before. I'm just not sure if it will work in a bus. I really only want to do the install once. I'm in Phoenix and can't imagine ever being in cold weather, but who knows?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailor View Post
Christopher, I don't know, that's why I was curious if anyone had any experience. The 3mm sintra is very flexible, I've used it to wrap a 6 inch tube before. I'm just not sure if it will work in a bus. I really only want to do the install once. I'm in Phoenix and can't imagine ever being in cold weather, but who knows?
Having lived in Az, I'd be more worried about the heat affecting plastic.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

That too. I thought the clips would provide enough support but I don't know.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally251251 View Post
Brand newbie here.... I'm very interested in the bendy board but can't seem to find it in full sheets? Are you all working with 2 x 4 pieces? Where are you finding this stuff? Nothing at Lowes or Home Depot that I can find other than the 2 x 4 x 1/4 MDF. Thanks
Check wholesale or specialty wood distributors.

In Phoenix Woodworkers Source carries it.

Also it might be known by other names. Try bender board, bendy board, or wiggle board.
Good luck
Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Bus Geek

What Tailor said. I get 4x8 sheets here in either 3/16. Not the cheapest stuff in the world, but nothing else like it.

Will no doubt take some digging to find locally.