Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 05:16 AM   #1

Commercial bus to passenger

Live in NYC just bought a 1995 bluebird comercial bus want to convert it so that it is no longer considered commercial so I can get regular insurance.what modifications do I need to make length weight seats etc

Marcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcopolo View Post
Live in NYC just bought a 1995 bluebird comercial bus want to convert it so that it is no longer considered commercial so I can get regular insurance.what modifications do I need to make length weight seats etc
l don't know about NY, but in my area l just phoned the licensing authority and found the information I needed in less than 5 minutes
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Remove seating to less than 16. Remove all associated school name markings, remove the swing out stop sign, disable all flashing red and amber lights. Paint any color other than yellow. At this point you will not need a CDL to drive it. You may need a commercial for personal use insurance policy while you are converting it to an RV. Once 4 of the 6 required items are in the bus you can register it as an RV.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #4

Does it have to be registered as an Rv can it be a passenger vehicle. Does the weight and length come into play
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcopolo View Post
Does it have to be registered as an Rv can it be a passenger vehicle. Does the weight and length come into play
Depends on your state. In Ga. you need an endorsement for air brakes on a truck, and a CDL for vehicles over 26k lbs. But my standard license allows me to drive ALL Recreation Vehicles, regardless of brake system or weight. People register them as RV's because the insurance is cheaper, I don't find that to be the case. You may be able to title as a Van. Or RV or motor home, house car, etc. Check your local jurisdiction for details. Check your insurance agent on what would be cheaper or what coverage you are seeking.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Remove seating to less than 16. Remove all associated school name markings, remove the swing out stop sign, disable all flashing red and amber lights. Paint any color other than yellow. At this point you will not need a CDL to drive it. You may need a commercial for personal use insurance policy while you are converting it to an RV. Once 4 of the 6 required items are in the bus you can register it as an RV.
Not sure about their state but they may still need a Class B (non-CDL) license if the GVWR exceeds 26001 lbs. They may also need other endorsements such as for air brakes. For example, there are about 8 states including KS (where I reside) that require a Class-B for vehicles with a GVWR that exceeds 26001 regardless if titled as an RV. I believe our state also requires an air brake endorsement. I think I posted this somewhere?
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

I currently have my bus parked in front of the driveway of my building in Brooklyn with no plates. The pastor I bought it from came for the plates the other day. I am very very lucky I haven't gotten any tickets yet. I don't even think they could tow it as is if they wanted to but I am still very worried. Me and my partners are trying to get it registered and insured but having a hard time. I am going to remove the seats so it's less the 16 and it's a 1995 blue bird church bus so it's white and no swinging stop sings. One of my partners went to the DMV jumped through hoops and finally talked to someone in Albany and they were saying that we have to get a new vin number? I feel like they are giving us the runaround and making us take unnecessary steps. They said that the bus has to be inspected by a special inspection site to get new vin and whitestone is the closest. To get the bus towed will be like $2000- $1000 just to hook up the tow and $100 more per mile. We want to get plates on it asap. Was thinking of asking around to see if anyone knows someone with temp dealer plates to get it to whitestone if that is even a necessary step. After I take the seats out can I just get it inspected by a local place as an rv? I have sooo many questions and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!