Old 07-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsong View Post
I love your question! I will be back to look at others' 2 cents' worth. I am so new here that I haven't even done a self-intro., because I am trying to figure out what to say. But becoming a gypsy again and the wanderlust are hitting me hard now that I've retired, and I want to do it before the knees give out, lol. But I am NOT a handy type. So will watch any more answers you get, and wish you well!
Shame you're so far away, we could do it together

I'm trying to convince one of my best friends, who has 4 kids, to do this with me. two buses side by side going down the road.. still working on her while trolling every bus for sale post i find online.

I have been reading and reading this site, and i'm getting excited about the possibility, but i'm trying to be realistic about my timeline and budget.. it's hard when you get excited.. i see buses and just want to jump the gun.
SomeMomOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
... Run the VIN (DON'T PAY FOR THIS, there are free sites that give you the necessary info)...
Here's one:
Gates VIN Decoder
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Like, find a promising bus, get the VIN number. Run the VIN (DON'T PAY FOR THIS, there are free sites that give you the necessary info), see what engine, trans, brakes it has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Here's one:
Gates VIN Decoder
Something else you can do, if the VIN decoder doesn't tell you anything, is once you find a promising bus, and have the VIN, do a Google search for that manufacturer's local dealer, and they can get you a copy of the build sheet.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Something else you can do, if the VIN decoder doesn't tell you anything, is once you find a promising bus, and have the VIN, do a Google search for that manufacturer's local dealer, and they can get you a copy of the build sheet.
Here's where i sound really dumb, but, what's a build sheet, and why do i want one?

Also, a lot of these auctions say "sold as is" does that mean i have little luck of getting maintenance records? I'm way less mechanically inclined vs most of you, so i'd like something I won't need to immediately have repaired bc unless it's ridiculously simple i'll be paying someone to fix it.
SomeMomOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeMomOutside View Post
Here's where i sound really dumb, but, what's a build sheet, and why do i want one?

Also, a lot of these auctions say "sold as is" does that mean i have little luck of getting maintenance records? I'm way less mechanically inclined vs most of you, so i'd like something I won't need to immediately have repaired bc unless it's ridiculously simple i'll be paying someone to fix it.
Sold as is means that its sold without any warranty. As it sits, in other words. Maintenance records are something to ask about before buying.
Build sheet is just a form with all the options and equipment listed. Will tell you a lot about what you are looking at.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeMomOutside View Post

Build sheet - Basically the original was printed at the factory, told the assembly line workers what components to install on a vehicle. *VERY* useful when you need to know what axle, brakes, transmission, and engine you are working on.

Sold As Is - when you buy a vehicle from a seller, and you discover a problem (before buying), you can sometimes haggle to get the seller to fix the problem before the transaction. Some used vehicles can even come with a warranty. "As Is" usually means the seller is not willing to fix anything and will not give a warranty. You may occasionally see "As is, where is", which also means they will not deliver or ship, so you're on your own to get it from wherever it's parked.

Many of these auctions are from government agencies and bus barns, there's a good likelihood they will have maintenance records. If they do or not is not a deal-breaker for me, but that would be because I am mechanically inclined (if not necessarily mechanically able). What would concern me *more* is whether it was well maintained all the way up to the sale ... sometimes buses about to be retired will be neglected and may have issues they didn't bother to fix ... or the issues were the reason the bus was retired in the first place.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote