Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International FE300
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 72
Coolant filter DT466e

Hey guys, I appreciate the knowledge and willingness to share it on this page! Been following since I started my conversion in April but just recently ran into an issue I can find the answer to. I have a 2004 Thomas FE300 flat nose bus with a DT466e in it. Since I purchased it the overheating lamp and buzzer has chirped when driving it. However the temp gauge always read around 205 so I assumed it was a bad sensor for the light. Unfortunately I recently discovered that it was actually a faulty temp gauge as it wont go above 205. Unfortunately that also means I drive my bus a few hours with it being hot and I am hoping I didnt cause damage to the sleeves. Anyway, I'm in the process of oil/tranny/fuel/coolant fluid and filter changes. Had no issues performing all with the exception of the coolant/water filter. Everything I've read points to my bus having a coolant filter but for the life of me I can not find it. It's a decent sized filter (or at least the one they sold me is!) So would think after a dozen times crawling all under the bus I'd be able to find it. Can any of you guys point me in a direction of either confirming I do not have a filter or where it might be located? I believe they may be a blockage in my system and want to eliminate all possibilities. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20190203_125555.jpg   20180715_095652.jpg   20180517_134459.jpg   20190202_170541.jpg   20180601_110919.jpg  

Entech.medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've got a mechanical DT466, so it might be different....but I think I remember it being horizontally mounted, and it was definitely on the passenger side of the engine about 1/2 way up? There's a petcock you need to shut, too, that cuts off flow to the filter. Don't forget to open the petcock after you change the filter. On ours, the petcock was jut a little lever but the mechanic that walked me through it said sometimes they get stuck....so watch for that. Again, the 466E might be a different beast, I dunno.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Drew. I've literally spent probably 2 very frustrated hours looking for it. Like I said it's about the size of my oil filter for my pickup so it really shouldn't be that hard to find. I'll remember to look for valves now too, thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We've got a mechanical DT466, so it might be different....but I think I remember it being horizontally mounted, and it was definitely on the passenger side of the engine about 1/2 way up? There's a petcock you need to shut, too, that cuts off flow to the filter. Don't forget to open the petcock after you change the filter. On ours, the petcock was jut a little lever but the mechanic that walked me through it said sometimes they get stuck....so watch for that. Again, the 466E might be a different beast, I dunno.
That is where it is on our 2003 DT466E (conventional).
Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Dave. By "conventional" are you talking about a dog nose bus? I'm wondering if my flat nose has a different location? I'm at a loss and am starting to think I may not have one.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entech.medic View Post
Thanks Dave. By "conventional" are you talking about a dog nose bus? I'm wondering if my flat nose has a different location? I'm at a loss and am starting to think I may not have one.
I guess, front engine, under a hood, as God intended....
Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I dont mean to sound like an idiot here, especially seeing as I've already posted one thing but even then I had trouble. Can someone walk me through making a new thread? I have another issue (now my dt466e wont start after a coolant swap) that I need some help with. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Never mind I found some info in the help section that pointed me in the right direction!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: FE 300
Quote:
Never mind I found some info in the help section that pointed me in the right direction!

Entech.medic,

I have a 2005 FE 300 with a DT466 and I am having the same issue of locating my coolant filter. Do you have a minute to point me in the right direction? Were you able to locate it and if so where?
_rideswell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I wouldn't hold my breath. OP hasn't been active since Feb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rideswell_ View Post
Entech.medic,

I have a 2005 FE 300 with a DT466 and I am having the same issue of locating my coolant filter. Do you have a minute to point me in the right direction? Were you able to locate it and if so where?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. OP hasn't been active since Feb...
It turned out that I didn't have a filter. I still have some reservations about it but after searching and searching I went to a dealer with my bus info and they confirmed that I did not have a filter. Maybe try calling or stopping in at a dealer.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rideswell_ View Post
Entech.medic,

On my 07fe300 the filter is inside a panel below the fuse box on the driver side marked “fluids” in there is the windshield fluid and coolant filter.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: FE 300
Quote:
It turned out that I didn't have a filter. I still have some reservations about it but after searching and searching I went to a dealer with my bus info and they confirmed that I did not have a filter. Maybe try calling or stopping in at a dealer.

Entech.medic,

Thank you for the response! Over the weekend I had made the same conclusion that I in fact do not have a filter either. I read that with the Extended Life Coolants a filter is no longer required anyways.
_rideswell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
correct, with extended life coolants, no filter is necessary.. HOWEVER be sure that the ELC coolant in your engine is compatible with it.. esp on these later DT-466, asnd T-444E engines..

read East-coast's issues with someone putting cummins bl;ue in and navistar's already crappy timing cover coolant circuit design.. it cavitates and eats the timing cover away slowly with the wrong coolant..

im using an AMSoil Poly-organic synthetic ELC that is safe for ALL navistars..

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ullDescription

be sure to FLUSH the system and if you do have an engine with a coolant filter, change it to a filter that is a "dummy" or has NO SCA tablet in it...

yes the AMSoil coolant is expensive, however so is a DT466E timing cover job or a ruined block on a T-444E..

in the over 2 and a half years ive had this coolant in my engine ive had to add less than a gallon so if your system is tight and doesnt leak you wont lose much..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Oh, shite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
correct, with extended life coolants, no filter is necessary.. HOWEVER be sure that the ELC coolant in your engine is compatible with it.. esp on these later DT-466, asnd T-444E engines..

read East-coast's issues with someone putting cummins bl;ue in and navistar's already crappy timing cover coolant circuit design.. it cavitates and eats the timing cover away slowly with the wrong coolant..

im using an AMSoil Poly-organic synthetic ELC that is safe for ALL navistars..

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ullDescription

be sure to FLUSH the system and if you do have an engine with a coolant filter, change it to a filter that is a "dummy" or has NO SCA tablet in it...

yes the AMSoil coolant is expensive, however so is a DT466E timing cover job or a ruined block on a T-444E..

in the over 2 and a half years ive had this coolant in my engine ive had to add less than a gallon so if your system is tight and doesnt leak you wont lose much..
-Christopher
In the triple-4E, too..?!
I sense an Easter Egg hunt in my future.