Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Want a Thomas
Rated Cap: want a 30-35 footer
Daydreaming about Buses and the Skoolie Life

Hi all,
When first married my wife and I would take off in our van with a dog or 2, no real plans, and embrace our wanderlust - almost always with great results and some of the most memorable experiences of our lives.

After years of professional work, paying off school loans, and raising a few kids we're getting restless again and looking to simplify. Given my background as a mechanic, outdoor guide, environmental and transportation engineer, home remodeler, and green energy guy I find myself thinking often about building a Skoolie and hitting the road - again with my wife and some dogs.

We're looking for our bus. As of now we're thinking Thomas or BB pusher about 30 -35 ft. A major part of our plans include using solar PV on the bus to provide some power to our house. Because of conservation upgrades we don't use much so the bus may provide all power when parked in our back yard.

As of now I'm on the web looking at buses and the wife is on Youtube watching skoolie videos - a typical weekend night.

I hope to update my profile soon with specs for our bus.

I'm already amazed at the depth of knowledge I'm finding on this forum and spend a lot of time reading here. Any advice would be much appreciated.

semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
My wife and I are in the same situation. Kids all grown and gone and loans paid off. We took the leap and bought our bus. We plan to be nomads in about 18 months. Hopefully the build will begin soon.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Want a Thomas
Rated Cap: want a 30-35 footer
Please share your build. We're skoolin' vicariously for now.
semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
Should be real soon, I'm in the process of trying to find a different house that I can park the bus at to get started. Moving it back and forth from storage on weekends isn't working real well. Hopefully resolved soon. I put some pics of some stuff I built from scrap to convince motor vehicle department it was an RV in this forum in January. Search for Daisy the bus.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote