Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Deciding a skoolie is the way to go!

Hello All:
New here and want to introduce ourselves. Hubby and I are 5 months shy of retirement. We want to be able to have something too roll around this USA in. We done a lot of visiting other states some driving, some flying. But I hate winter and I'd like to be able to have something we can troll around the south during the winter months and some of the rest of the year. I've researched Motor homes and found that you have to really be careful buying used ones. And then I really don't like the lay outs of most of them. They are all the same. A booth in the kitchen. A couch and they are mostly all different shades of brown!! And some look really cheap. I drove school buses for 6.5 years and with all my research, I've decided that's for us. My hubby is a mechanic but not much of a carpenter. My son is a body man by trade, but is very handy!! And I can do some of the work too. So I've done a lot of research on a bus rv and picked out just what I want in it. And I know we have a long road of work ahead of us, but to me it will be a labor of love!! And there will be a big ole smile on my face once we pull out of town the first time. So I will appreciate any replys once I start posting questions. So until then I'll be trolling and reading all your accomplishments for ideas and valued words of wisdoms.

sle1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Welcome!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
bring it on!! let the fun begin and if you enjoy driving around in a bus half as much as I do you'll have a blast!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird (8 window)
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24 +1
Welcome aboard!
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle1953 View Post
Hello All:
New here and want to introduce ourselves. Hubby and I are 5 months shy of retirement. We want to be able to have something too roll around this USA in. We done a lot of visiting other states some driving, some flying. But I hate winter and I'd like to be able to have something we can troll around the south during the winter months and some of the rest of the year. I've researched Motor homes and found that you have to really be careful buying used ones. And then I really don't like the lay outs of most of them. They are all the same. A booth in the kitchen. A couch and they are mostly all different shades of brown!! And some look really cheap. I drove school buses for 6.5 years and with all my research, I've decided that's for us. My hubby is a mechanic but not much of a carpenter. My son is a body man by trade, but is very handy!! And I can do some of the work too. So I've done a lot of research on a bus rv and picked out just what I want in it. And I know we have a long road of work ahead of us, but to me it will be a labor of love!! And there will be a big ole smile on my face once we pull out of town the first time. So I will appreciate any replys once I start posting questions. So until then I'll be trolling and reading all your accomplishments for ideas and valued words of wisdoms.
If you're in the south, stop by and say hello.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome!

How exciting. And yes the labor of love puts the wind at my back for sure.
I also love the fact that if i want a couch i can buy a couch, or not, and if i want to move said couch over there and bed over here, i can do that too! and in fact i have lol good thing i decided to hang out in here for a few weeks before i starred bolting stuff down, gave me a real chance to feel out where i want stuff to go. Also i need more personal space than your aversage grizley bear, so it is nice for me to be able to put the chairs 6ft apart lol

Can't wait to see which one follows you two home.

a 1953 perhaps?
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote