Old 05-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
My insurance is with Allstate, and I told them exactly what I planned to do. Even gave 'em the VIN for my exact bus. RV insurance comes out to like $288/year for basic liability. They should know *EXACTLY* what they are insuring (they have the VIN, after all) and what I plan to do with it. Maybe insurance works differently here in GA?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Insurance does vary from state to state. Companies that insure others on the right coast refuse to insure buses on the left coast. I don't know if it's actually set up that way or if it's just the ignorance of the individual selling the insurance.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
My insurance is with Allstate, and I told them exactly what I planned to do. Even gave 'em the VIN for my exact bus. RV insurance comes out to like $288/year for basic liability. They should know *EXACTLY* what they are insuring (they have the VIN, after all) and what I plan to do with it. Maybe insurance works differently here in GA?
How long have you had this insurance? This forum is chock-full of folks with stories of buying insurance and getting dropped after 2 weeks to a month.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
How long have you had this insurance? This forum is chock-full of folks with stories of buying insurance and getting dropped after 2 weeks to a month.
i know, ....

That's why progressive dropped me...i had an RV ins, but once underwriter investigated the VIN, and figured it was a school bus, i got my "love letter" they'd drop my after the last (and only) payment expired....

I also tried local state farm agent...she asked me all kinds of question after i said "this will be a privately owned commercial policy". she was like "what do you do, what do you use the vehicle for, it's a big vehicle, is it a box van" i said "it's a maxi-van " and she kept on and on...i was already road-raging from traffic, so i broke down and started semi-yelling at her that "it's a school bus conversion to RV, insure me, damn it!"

She asked for pics of the reg and the bus itself...which i sent her...time will tell...

I can't stand ppl sometimes...just needed to vent, too much coffee...
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
i know, ....

That's why progressive dropped me...i had an RV ins, but once underwriter investigated the VIN, and figured it was a school bus, i got my "love letter" they'd drop my after the last (and only) payment expired....

I also tried local state farm agent...she asked me all kinds of question after i said "this will be a privately owned commercial policy". she was like "what do you do, what do you use the vehicle for, it's a big vehicle, is it a box van" i said "it's a maxi-van " and she kept on and on...i was already road-raging from traffic, so i broke down and started semi-yelling at her that "it's a school bus conversion to RV, insure me, damn it!"

She asked for pics of the reg and the bus itself...which i sent her...time will tell...

I can't stand ppl sometimes...just needed to vent, too much coffee...
Good sam is the only insurer I could find other than Progressive.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
Bus Geek

State Farm charged charged me about $379 for six months, and after they dropped me they only sent back like $139.16, after about 5 weeks of actual policy time. Rip off. They will insure you and drop you at their profit.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
State Farm charged charged me about $379 for six months, and after they dropped me they only sent back like $139.16, after about 5 weeks of actual policy time. Rip off. They will insure you and drop you at their profit.
Woooow....my wife has state farm as her car policy, she is not super happy with them....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #18
Bus Geek

We are talking about buses here. They aren't going to mess with a car policy. In the past I've had about four other buses and always insured them like a pickup truck. It was a big dry van that was great for little kids.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
We are talking about buses here. They aren't going to mess with a car policy. In the past I've had about four other buses and always insured them like a pickup truck. It was a big dry van that was great for little kids.
Yes of course!
I was just reinforcing how bad state farm can be by personal experience

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Might be me? My wife had insurance with nationwide when we met 19-yrs ago and got the bus 6-yrs ago and had to provide an insurance policy to the bus barn before I was ever handed the key. Gotta be location? I had no problems but this year in n.c. I could change( 86-16 ) to classic tags with the DMV and haven't talked to nationwide and don't plan to?
They get paid every month and can call, snail mail, or get in touch anytime they want.
The closest garage to me that does inspection for me does the full DOT inspection and they tell me what needs to be looked at/addressed instead of failing me. To me it is 55$ verses 15$ inspection and the ones I call when If i end up on the side of the road.
NATIONWIDE has been good to us and i screwed up and wrecked a 15,000$ vehicle about 9-yrs ago and they paid with no question's asked? And still insured me with a bus 4-5 yrs later?
Gotta be location?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus advice, canada, ontario