Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350
Dreams do come true..Who needs a bus?

ok so I am new to posting and I am new to owning a bus...much to the shock of my family...actually the dream of owning bus is my husband Bryan's..he lived on a bus in downtown Toronto for a couple of years on and off...and since we have been married ...when times are tough or stressful.... I get to hear "that's it I'm buying a bus, we are out of here".l We have a 2000 Ford Diesel Shorty..I do have a few questions Insurance? Does anyone in Ontario know how I can get it insured. It seems a bit more difficult then I thought it would be. Insulation? Why are people taking off the panels and ceiling and insulating (it is already insulated)...as far as I know we will only be using the bus from April to November,so do I need more insulation? I have heard some camp site don't let buses in... is that true?
Lastly ..if anyone is looking for a bus I have an in with the school bus company here in durham region and I can arrange for a bus if someone wants one.

thanks

Mikki and Bryan (still shinny and new)

mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Congratulations on your shorty. That's sure to make a lot of memories. Yes, insurance has been becoming more difficult in the past few years. The way we have been accomplishing getting insurance is going to an independent insurance agent locally. Nearly every time they come up with a "commercial policy for private use" at Progressive, because it's a truck size vehicle. Lots of people with previous policies with other companies are being dropped. Search as long as you like, then look up your local independent insurance agent.
Many of us don't want to do insulation. It depends on what you're using the vehicle for. For spring and summer use like you've mentioned the vehicle heaters should be enough unless you're trying to camp in it during cold weather. That's when you start wishing you had insulated, or even when it's hot weather it can keep in the AC. It's completely optional and for your purposes it would be a lot of work for not much reward.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjana View Post
ok so I am new to posting and I am new to owning a bus...much to the shock of my family...actually the dream of owning bus is my husband Bryan's..he lived on a bus in downtown Toronto for a couple of years on and off...and since we have been married ...when times are tough or stressful.... I get to hear "that's it I'm buying a bus, we are out of here".l We have a 2000 Ford Diesel Shorty..I do have a few questions Insurance? Does anyone in Ontario know how I can get it insured. It seems a bit more difficult then I thought it would be. Insulation? Why are people taking off the panels and ceiling and insulating (it is already insulated)...as far as I know we will only be using the bus from April to November,so do I need more insulation? I have heard some camp site don't let buses in... is that true?
Lastly ..if anyone is looking for a bus I have an in with the school bus company here in durham region and I can arrange for a bus if someone wants one.

thanks

Mikki and Bryan (still shinny and new)
Cannot answer insurance questions. However, the reason old insulation is pulled is two fold it is just plain old and dirty or the r value is so low that even a slightly chilly nighy can have you sleeping in a fridgid bus. The campsite thing is true by all accounts, some places will turn you away...flatnose buses seem to be the exception. As they look like most standard rv's. BLM sites dont care really as long as there is space and or a reservation on file.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Ford
Engine: 350
thanks for the info...we have been quoted insurance for commercial but it was really expensive and I have been calling around... I think I might have to take a day off from work just to get it done. I think it is crazy though... the bus is more stable then my brother's nissan camper....I guess different is not good anywhere lolo I hate insurance. So i think we will be fine with the insualation we still have heavy sleeping bags from tenting and we found an electric blanket that only runs 130 watts. Ok let the fun begin.
mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

A bus isn't so bad even without insulating. I made it this winter in this bus, but then it did convince me to insulate it this summer. Either way, propane shouldn't be a permanent way to heat because of the humidity in a metal box.

Yeah, basically what I understand to be happening is the independent insurance agent usually takes a couple pics of the exterior of your bus and can personally verify that it's not for commercial use, then they usually hook you up with the progressive commercial policy. Mine was under $400 for a year.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
congrats on your bus!

if progressive finds out your converting the bus they wont insure you. seriously, in a nut shell the only way to get good coverage (that will hold up in court) is to completely convert to rv, title it as an rv then get policy through good sam. think about this, sure you can talk your way into progressive insuring you, but, when the rubber hits the road and (gods forbid) you actually need it, fact comes to light , it will in any accident report, that it is being converted, you will owe the damages, and the insurance co will toss you under your own bus.....
Old 05-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm registered, titled and insured as a van. Insurance is not even available here as a self built RV. No questions about it unless you can prove it was built by a professional builder. I've always registered them as regular POVs in the past and I did the same with this one.

I'm not converting this to an RV. Everything here can be put on a dolly and moved to the next bus within 30 or 40 minutes. Outwardly this "van" will have minimal indications that it's anything but a bus. It's insured with the standard Progressive commercial policy as a Bluebird van. As a special needs bus this never had seats to speak of, so the argument was since it's not a bus (without expensive additions) it's not exactly a truck so it must be a van. Titled as a van I can get insurance. As a self built RV in Oregon this would sit without insurance.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Congrats on your bus!

Biggest reason you should want to change the insulation is mold. The original fiberglass matting holds a bunch of it. Also remember this, good insulation in the ceiling reflects noise, say from a thunderstorm, not to mention even at 70°f a bus can get quite warm inside.

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Mikki and Bryan, everybody needs a bus. Not everyone realizes it.

That's a Ford cutaway I guess. That should drive very comfortably.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:44 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjana View Post
thanks for the info...we have been quoted insurance for commercial but it was really expensive and I have been calling around... I think I might have to take a day off from work just to get it done. I think it is crazy though... the bus is more stable then my brother's nissan camper....I guess different is not good anywhere lolo I hate insurance. So i think we will be fine with the insualation we still have heavy sleeping bags from tenting and we found an electric blanket that only runs 130 watts. Ok let the fun begin.
my progressive comercial for privite use policy was 760 the first year and 350 the second year, gota pay to play! good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
My insurance is with Allstate, and I told them exactly what I planned to do. Even gave 'em the VIN for my exact bus. RV insurance comes out to like $288/year for basic liability. They should know *EXACTLY* what they are insuring (they have the VIN, after all) and what I plan to do with it. Maybe insurance works differently here in GA?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Insurance does vary from state to state. Companies that insure others on the right coast refuse to insure buses on the left coast. I don't know if it's actually set up that way or if it's just the ignorance of the individual selling the insurance.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
My insurance is with Allstate, and I told them exactly what I planned to do. Even gave 'em the VIN for my exact bus. RV insurance comes out to like $288/year for basic liability. They should know *EXACTLY* what they are insuring (they have the VIN, after all) and what I plan to do with it. Maybe insurance works differently here in GA?
How long have you had this insurance? This forum is chock-full of folks with stories of buying insurance and getting dropped after 2 weeks to a month.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
How long have you had this insurance? This forum is chock-full of folks with stories of buying insurance and getting dropped after 2 weeks to a month.
i know, ....

That's why progressive dropped me...i had an RV ins, but once underwriter investigated the VIN, and figured it was a school bus, i got my "love letter" they'd drop my after the last (and only) payment expired....

I also tried local state farm agent...she asked me all kinds of question after i said "this will be a privately owned commercial policy". she was like "what do you do, what do you use the vehicle for, it's a big vehicle, is it a box van" i said "it's a maxi-van " and she kept on and on...i was already road-raging from traffic, so i broke down and started semi-yelling at her that "it's a school bus conversion to RV, insure me, damn it!"

She asked for pics of the reg and the bus itself...which i sent her...time will tell...

I can't stand ppl sometimes...just needed to vent, too much coffee...
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
i know, ....

That's why progressive dropped me...i had an RV ins, but once underwriter investigated the VIN, and figured it was a school bus, i got my "love letter" they'd drop my after the last (and only) payment expired....

I also tried local state farm agent...she asked me all kinds of question after i said "this will be a privately owned commercial policy". she was like "what do you do, what do you use the vehicle for, it's a big vehicle, is it a box van" i said "it's a maxi-van " and she kept on and on...i was already road-raging from traffic, so i broke down and started semi-yelling at her that "it's a school bus conversion to RV, insure me, damn it!"

She asked for pics of the reg and the bus itself...which i sent her...time will tell...

I can't stand ppl sometimes...just needed to vent, too much coffee...
Good sam is the only insurer I could find other than Progressive.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
Bus Geek

State Farm charged charged me about $379 for six months, and after they dropped me they only sent back like $139.16, after about 5 weeks of actual policy time. Rip off. They will insure you and drop you at their profit.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
State Farm charged charged me about $379 for six months, and after they dropped me they only sent back like $139.16, after about 5 weeks of actual policy time. Rip off. They will insure you and drop you at their profit.
Woooow....my wife has state farm as her car policy, she is not super happy with them....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #18
Bus Geek

We are talking about buses here. They aren't going to mess with a car policy. In the past I've had about four other buses and always insured them like a pickup truck. It was a big dry van that was great for little kids.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
We are talking about buses here. They aren't going to mess with a car policy. In the past I've had about four other buses and always insured them like a pickup truck. It was a big dry van that was great for little kids.
Yes of course!
I was just reinforcing how bad state farm can be by personal experience [emoji12]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Might be me? My wife had insurance with nationwide when we met 19-yrs ago and got the bus 6-yrs ago and had to provide an insurance policy to the bus barn before I was ever handed the key. Gotta be location? I had no problems but this year in n.c. I could change( 86-16 ) to classic tags with the DMV and haven't talked to nationwide and don't plan to?
They get paid every month and can call, snail mail, or get in touch anytime they want.
The closest garage to me that does inspection for me does the full DOT inspection and they tell me what needs to be looked at/addressed instead of failing me. To me it is 55$ verses 15$ inspection and the ones I call when If i end up on the side of the road.
NATIONWIDE has been good to us and i screwed up and wrecked a 15,000$ vehicle about 9-yrs ago and they paid with no question's asked? And still insured me with a bus 4-5 yrs later?
Gotta be location?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus advice, canada, ontario