Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this bus is nice.. but the price is $17500. cash price, 18500 if you lay it away... thats steep even for that nice rig.. can probably talk them down a couple grand.

-Christopher
Holy moly, that thing is worth about half that, even in the good condition it's in.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Quote:
this bus is nice.. but the price is $17500. cash price, 18500 if you lay it away... thats steep even for that nice rig.. can probably talk them down a couple grand.

-Christopher
That is way over the top. We only payed $2500 for ours.'98 40' dt466e. I've had it for a year and it's in great shape. I'll never understand the high price on buses. Look Around more. I bought mine from a small dealer in southern Ohio.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead pirate View Post
That is way over the top. We only payed $2500 for ours.'98 40' dt466e. I've had it for a year and it's in great shape. I'll never understand the high price on buses. Look Around more. I bought mine from a small dealer in southern Ohio.

ironically after you had told me that before.. I looked it up and I think my *FIRST* bus way back in 2008 Came from that same place originally.. that bus was CHEAP and ran like a CHAMP... those little small town back-woods dealers often get really nice busses and dont sell them for big city prices! small town districts dont get new busses as often, however they tend to really take good care of the ones they have .. when it comes time to finally sell them I think they feel the busses are not worth anything so they sell to individuals who do minor work and flip them reasonably, or these small dealers that have a few cars, a bus or two, and a couple pickup trucks..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
ironically after you had told me that before.. I looked it up and I think my *FIRST* bus way back in 2008 Came from that same place originally.. that bus was CHEAP and ran like a CHAMP... those little small town back-woods dealers often get really nice busses and dont sell them for big city prices! small town districts dont get new busses as often, however they tend to really take good care of the ones they have .. when it comes time to finally sell them I think they feel the busses are not worth anything so they sell to individuals who do minor work and flip them reasonably, or these small dealers that have a few cars, a bus or two, and a couple pickup trucks..
-Christopher
Right on. It was a great price. I love this bus. Hope things are good your way. We are in Florida for a wedding. Great buses are out there. And cheep too

Old 03-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #25
Bus Geek

That bus will not sell to a skoolie fan. It'll end up going to someone who will use it as a commercial vehicle and make money on it, so a bit more up front for a unit that can go right into service is beneficial. I'm finding the skoolie crowd to be cheap MF'ers just like myself. Maybe cheap isn't the correct word, frugal.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That bus will not sell to a skoolie fan. It'll end up going to someone who will use it as a commercial vehicle and make money on it, so a bit more up front for a unit that can go right into service is beneficial. I'm finding the skoolie crowd to be cheap MF'ers just like myself. Maybe cheap isn't the correct word, frugal.
and rightly so, this dealer is known to inflate their prices.. i know for a fact they go to auctions like we do to buy busses.. however they also go directly to schools too .. they originally marketed their business towards churches who could buy a bus, have it painted there, lights removed, anything fixed on it etc and put it directly into service.. and of course being in florida, the export guys buy busses too.. and they just want good runners and no hastle.. ive seen those exporters in action, they are NO BS type and are willing to pay more to get things done efficiently and quickly..

its only been rather recently that school busses have becone wildly popular amongst individuals vs churches, daycares, exporters, etc..

admittedly the TLC, discovery channel, etc TV shows about people living in busses, shipping containers, etc have driven the prices of busses upwards a LOT!! in the last 5-10 years... the average person has no idea what an old school bus "should" cost or even how to buy one.. so they google "old school bus" and the likes of every bus dealer in the country comes up.. and way down in the list somewhere may be an auction site or two.. some school bus driver will tell them that her brand new Blue-bird she drives joey to school in cost 120 grand ... so when a person sees a 10 year old bus for 12 grand they think "yeah thats about right..."
-Christopher
Old 03-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Oregon has cheap busses. Western bus sales. In Boring Oregon.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:

im gonna be in eugene soon to do a job on a site.. lotsa cool trendy. coffee shops!
Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks...yeah that price seems a bit high..but will check out that oregon dealer and others.
Madrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:

Beaverton, Ore. school district has had a ton of buses lately on Govdeals fairly cheap. I just didn't want to travel that far for one.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Its worth the bus and the money. Oregon in king. Easy to register, and easy to title. That place is where south America comes to for busses. The Grateful Dead told me about that company. Western bus sales.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Its worth the bus and the money. Oregon in king. Easy to register, and easy to title. That place is where south America comes to for busses. The Grateful Dead told me about that company. Western bus sales.

One of the many places South/Central America buys buses.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

OK....Now I'm really getting frustrated..lol!!!! The buses that I've seen that are in the 4-8k range look to be in the condition of that same price...I look at the 8.3's that I want in awesome condition for 12-15k range??? So do I just pull the trigger on a well maintained bus for the more $$$ or buy the cheap and have a rust bucket or a bus with almost 300k miles on it..versus NO RUST and 150k miles????? GRRR!!!!!! Thanks all...but want to get this project started sooner rather than later!!! Any help is greatly appreciated as always!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrider121 View Post
OK....Now I'm really getting frustrated..lol!!!! The buses that I've seen that are in the 4-8k range look to be in the condition of that same price...I look at the 8.3's that I want in awesome condition for 12-15k range??? So do I just pull the trigger on a well maintained bus for the more $$$ or buy the cheap and have a rust bucket or a bus with almost 300k miles on it..versus NO RUST and 150k miles????? GRRR!!!!!! Thanks all...but want to get this project started sooner rather than later!!! Any help is greatly appreciated as always!!!
Im getting deja vu
Backwoods Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrider121 View Post
Good 8.3 and DT466 buses in good condition do show up at the auctions with some regularity. Most of the folks that I have heard from here with 8.3 equipped buses paid less than $5k.

Mine came from Oregon. No rust to speak of, 170k miles, runs and drives great. $3940 including auction fees.

Have some patience, check the auctions daily and have a plan for picking up and storing the bus before you bid.

You will find one.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Good 8.3 and DT466 buses in good condition do show up at the auctions with some regularity. Most of the folks that I have heard from here with 8.3 equipped buses paid less than $5k.

Mine came from Oregon. No rust to speak of, 170k miles, runs and drives great. $3940 including auction fees.

Have some patience, check the auctions daily and have a plan for picking up and storing the bus before you bid.

You will find one.
It took me several months of checking every day. Mine was about the same price as yours and well worth the wait.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

See..yes i have found some pretty good deals..but most of those deal are for the 5.9's...there's tons and tons of them!!! The 8.3's or the DT466 go QUICK because of the tiny home movement. So now...being I live in the midwest everything is a day to a three day trip and expenses..which puts the $$$ higher and higher..thats if I can find one that is or isn't in decent shape. All or alot of the midwest dealers..get their buses from the midwest schools..and are FILTHY!!! Another issue is...ANYWHERE you buy a bus..theres ZERO records on it..so damn if you do damn if you don't!!! Not much of in a rush, but at the same time I am!!!

As for finding a place to park and plate for my city regulations..I'm looking into that this weekend...thanks for that...little things can become expensive...tickets and what not.