Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Eastern Canada reporting in!

Hey there!

I was thinking about doing a conversion to a short-bus for a while then the idea went away. Then I saw that Serendipity Bus and it got me thinking harder!

I don't have the means to buy anything yet, but that doesn't stop me from planning, researching and dreaming!

I come from a technical background but no building or mechanical experience worth calling your mom over. I might have my work cut out for me (especially electricals and plumbing!!)

Where should I start reading? There is no setion of the forum titled "Newbies, read this before buying a bus!".

Like which Bus models are just crap and must be avoided (there always are...) and what to look for on inspections... etc etc...

Thanks !

mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post

Like which Bus models are just crap and must be avoided (there always are...)
Gassers and anything with a Cat powerplant should be avoided. Between the lack of mileage for gassers and the fact that Cat parts are proprietary, they're both huge drains on the wallet. IMHO, unless you need a wheelchair lift, also stay away from handicap buses. The wheelchair tie downs are bolted through the floor, and some have an aluminium tie strip that's screwed down about every 6 inches or so.

Do read through the "Titles, Insurance, Registration, and Money Matters" subforum, particularly discussing Progressive. Lots of good info there about who not to buy insurance from. And read through the builds, and if you're looking into a short bus, the short bus build threads. That'll help give you an idea on what to look for- but this is a good recommendation: Get a 4-7 window short bus on a medium-duty truck chassis, be it IHC, Blue Bird, Thomas, etc. More space to work, and less hassles than a van-chassis

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
First orders of business would be to find a place to keep a bus, then find two or three more just to be safe.
And find insurance before buying the bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Skoolie

Thanks! I was going to go with Diesel because that's how heavy machinery should be moved. The fact the offer gas is still mind boggling to me.

I'm in Canada so titles, insurances and licenses might differ greatly but I'll look anyway!

The end goal is taking a year off to checkout America (not just the US but all fo it...).
Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
You are in Eastern Canada. Any chance that means PEI? I have some property there that I haven't been to in a few years. Hope to see it next year depending on what the election brings.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
Skoolie

No, southern Qc!!!

« Noob | Howdy »