Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliyahu View Post
Thank you as well Rusty for the good vibes;
VP44 info

My bus has that pump- it gets a bad rap sometimes, but is a good pump. The important thing to know about it is the fuel cools it, so low fuel pressure will kill it. Install a better lift pump than that crappy carter on the block- probably what your problem is (i hope) as is cheap fix.

I'd put a Raptor or Fass ( i used raptor) pump by the tank. Injection pump wants to see 15-18psi WOT and don't forget, intertia- gas wants to stay in line when you accelerate, lower pressure at pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R2SBD325_Airdog1.1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	16102

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
befors id buy a new VP44 at the store, id look into seeing if you can send that one out for rebuild (if thats the issue) or look for a junkyard pump..

of course there is also my "poor-man's" compression check that i always did with every vehicle I bought.. if its a diesel you unplug the fuel solenoid or pull out the ECM fuse and hit the starter.. listen to the cranking cadence.. if all of the cadences sound pretty even then the compression is at least workable.. if you hear one cadence where the starter appears to be high pitched or spin faster.. then thats a good indication of internal engine compression issues..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24 Valve
Rated Cap: 35
Right on Rusty; about the fuel cooling the VP44 and upgrade for the lift pump. Both very desirable upgrades. I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, 12 valve Cummins that I was in the o\process of rebuilding when I saw this Bus being offered and just had to jump on it. The "98" Ram has a "Bully Dog" on it which I just might have to rob for the Freightliner Bus, any how something like that would be an option. Don't really like robbing from one project to fix another, but thinking of going back to a more stock and some kind of fully mechanical fuel pump for the Ram (EMP Proof). With the Freightliner being all electronic, the Bully Dog would fir right in there.

Christopher I appreciate your zeal and willingness to help, thanks Bro.
Reliability is key when building an Excursion Rig so used parts wouldn't work very well in this application. And the rebuild on a VP44 is nothing more than core or core charge, nothing really to save by rebuilding your own core unless you got a kit and did it yourself which being such an important part I feel a professional build would be a requirement. Then there's the part on warranty, a Lifetime from O'Rielly's is awfully hard to beat.

Gentlemen; Imna get the O'Rielly's VP44 with a Lifetime Warranty if the current injection pump proves to be faulty. I will be doing an upgrade on the Lift Pump and some day just might tear out all that electrical crapola and do a P-7100 conversion. But for now I just need to get her running good and to be reliable so I can get out of here for a spell, I've got a bad case of cabin fever and an irresistible urge to ramble
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #24
Bus Geek

i get it.. i run my busses all over the place so I, myself use new parts.. I didnt know what your style is.. some here are trying to stay total cheap, others want to build for lots of miles.. myself I build for lots of miles.. (I think ive put like 24 or 25k. maybe more collectively on both my busses in the last 17 months).. so yeah i get it.. go for the good stuff!
-Christopher
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Christopher; My style would be something like:

1. Primarily Practical, while maintaining the best bang for the investment.
2. Fully Functional with the ability for multi-function and adaptability built in.
3. Dependable beyond the norm, like Bug-Out security.
4. Economic, but with the ability to perform when required / versatile.

Not so much into the "pretty, full blown, normal, common or the usual".
I prepare for the worst and hope for the best
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #26
Bus Geek

ha! im out of the norm here I guess because i keep all my seats in the busses and I drive t othe grocery store in a bus more than my pickup truck.!

but yeah I like reliability and practicality.. im not sure what "bug-out" is.. but if its for surviving when the zombies come, id want a non electronic bus with a 750 gallon fuel tank... LOL
-Christopher
Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Right On Christopher;

Too bad they don't allow MRAP sales to individuals

My next vehicle of choice was the LMTV, which was tough enough but too slow (Light Military Tactical Vehicle)

Tags
beginner, greenhorn, intro, newby, ramblin-man