Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
... I did find that it's impossible to get the decals off paint on top of fiberglass - sufficient heat to soften the decal always lifts the paint completely off ...
Hi John -
Thomas' hood is fiberglass, thankfully there are no decals but the top layer is peeling. It looks like a thin clear coat maybe, and underneath looks more like yellow fiberglass than paint. Wonder how much that will change how we need to paint the hood in relation to the rest of the body.
I'm weighing different paint options - we know the color (a muted medium green to blend with our woodsy yard) - but oil or automotive? Roll & brush or spray? There will be threads on that alone I'll be perusing.
Am already reconsidering the Thomas logo on the side up next to the door (and the corresponding one on the other side), was going to leave it and do a Victorian style "frame" around it but looking closer it's pretty frayed. I'd like to do something that's a nod to Thomas Built and to International, maybe badges?
UrsaLunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaLunar View Post
He does look pretty good body-wise, we were holding out for a bus south of the "salt belt" as we know how much rust can kill a vehicle. There are a few rust spots but they are very minor - one is quarter size, the other couple smaller.
Are all the seats and plywood out yet? That's where I found all of my rust; under the plywood.

Paint; I used Rust-Oleum sold in the 1 quart can from your local box hardware store. Bought a $50 sprayer to go on my portable compressor. 4 quarts did a decent job of covering the yellow. MD requires skoolies to be non-yellow. Apparently 45% tho I've not seen that in writing. I have pics in the build thread. If you do a good job instead of quick job (like I did), 2 gallons of paint would do it.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Are all the seats and plywood out yet? That's where I found all of my rust; under the plywood.

Paint; I used Rust-Oleum sold in the 1 quart can from your local box hardware store. Bought a $50 sprayer to go on my portable compressor. 4 quarts did a decent job of covering the yellow. MD requires skoolies to be non-yellow. Apparently 45% tho I've not seen that in writing. I have pics in the build thread. If you do a good job instead of quick job (like I did), 2 gallons of paint would do it.

Good luck and welcome.
Most of the seats, none of the plywood ... no rust around seat-leg holes, zero rust under body, and no smell of damp - we're feeling pretty positive so far.
We've left just a few of the seats for this year as Thomas will be a glorified mobile tent for now. Next year saving two seats for kitchen table benches that way when all is done we'll have 6 seat-belted seats - we're also installing a "navigator's seat." Doubt we'll ever travel with more than 6 people so that will keep us in compliance wherever we go.
Skoolie-RVs here are allowed to be school bus yellow but the stop sign, swing bar, and all the school related lettering need to be off. Regarding color I didn't even want a red car because I thought it'd be too bright in my yard so yeah, Thomas is getting painted a woodsy green
UrsaLunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
[QUOTE=UrsaLunar;207436]Most of the seats, none of the plywood ... no rust around seat-leg holes, zero rust under body, and no smell of damp - we're feeling pretty positive so far. Not to piss on the parade but I thought I did well too until I pulled up the plywood. All in all I still did ok. I'm replacing the section between the front wheel well and the driver's seat. There are a few other spots that went all the way thru but none big enough to worry about.

The best places to go rust hunting are around the wells of course but also where the heater hoses go thru the floor. I think mine might have been monkeyed with at some point.

Anywho, if Thomas is clear around those two areas, then you are likely to have a cancer free bus.

Quote:
We've left just a few of the seats for this year as Thomas will be a glorified mobile tent for now. Next year saving two seats for kitchen table benches that way when all is done we'll have 6 seat-belted seats - we're also installing a "navigator's seat." Doubt we'll ever travel with more than 6 people so that will keep us in compliance wherever we go.
I've got 3 rows I've kept. I kept the two furtherest front just to use as benches and sitting while working on the bus and the jump seat that was the exit row. It has little hydraulic arms that I thought I might be able to use for something else. At 4 cents a lb for scrap steel, I thought I'd keep it. If I don't use it, I'll just toss it later.

Quote:
Skoolie-RVs here are allowed to be school bus yellow but the stop sign, swing bar, and all the school related lettering need to be off. Regarding color I didn't even want a red car because I thought it'd be too bright in my yard so yeah, Thomas is getting painted a woodsy green
It varies state by state but as long as you're sporting whatever your home state license plate is, I don't think MD or any of the rest can give you any grief. I drove mine around town on a couple of errands while it was still yellow and no one said a word.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Rated Cap: 50k
Congrats and welcome! Thomas looks like a super find!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Fiberglass is infinitely repairable, read up on it and you'll see the great advantage of 'glass.
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote