Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Family of 5 in a 35' Flat nose, crazy?

Have been creeping the forums for a while, and its time to say hello!
First thanks to all that post because the info on here is priceless!
Quick intro we are a family of 5, 3 kids under three, we are a little crazy but seems like we might just fit in then. Ive been an electrician in comercial/ industrial for about 12 years, but the last year or so have been helping run a fabrication shop. So the build I think I have a good grasp on. Size is what counts right.....
I'm particularly looking for the 35 footer due to national and state park restrictions. Is this stupid, have others found it easy to find sites with a full 40?
I know with the three young ones we need a good amount of room, but for the most part the world will be our play room, minus some bad weather days and or boondocking at a walmart or cabela's. Any thoughts or words of wisdom are much appreciated!

FindingOurNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Well, the first obvious thought is 3 under 3 and presuming one of the adults will be driving that means the other adult will be outnumbered. Are your plans long term or just a year's sojourn? I know it seems cool to an adult the prospect of living on the road but there's a lot of child development hurdles that need to be considered. Besides education, some children will be social magnets and the lack of a social peer group will make them hate and resent the lifestyle. They also miss out on most of the team building opportunities like sports, music, performing arts, etc. What people don't always consider is how this shapes them as future adults to deny them these types of opportunities and at 3 years old I doubt you've yet to know which children are which temperament.

There's also things like health care to consider because as adults were are pretty self-sufficient but children aren't equipped to shorthand their health concerns for an unfamiliar physician which is why a regular pediatrician is so important for a young child.

I know these aren't thoughts directly relating to the skoolie life but I think they're worth considering before you embark on this journey.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Well, the first obvious thought is 3 under 3 and presuming one of the adults will be driving that means the other adult will be outnumbered. Are your plans long term or just a year's sojourn? I know it seems cool to an adult the prospect of living on the road but there's a lot of child development hurdles that need to be considered. Besides education, some children will be social magnets and the lack of a social peer group will make them hate and resent the lifestyle. They also miss out on most of the team building opportunities like sports, music, performing arts, etc. What people don't always consider is how this shapes them as future adults to deny them these types of opportunities and at 3 years old I doubt you've yet to know which children are which temperament.

There's also things like health care to consider because as adults were are pretty self-sufficient but children aren't equipped to shorthand their health concerns for an unfamiliar physician which is why a regular pediatrician is so important for a young child.

I know these aren't thoughts directly relating to the skoolie life but I think they're worth considering before you embark on this journey.

At first we are planning on easing into it slow, no long term plans just yet. First a multi week trip, then a month, would love to do 3 - 6 months, possibly a year. We will see how life goes. Currently have very good insurance and lapsing coverage is not a concern. This isn't something we have taken lightly or are just jumping into. This has been years of thought going into anything like this. As for child development experiencing the world, even just in our own country/ continent can give them memories and life lessons that they may not get otherwise. Like I said much thought, and no hard plans. Kids are first and foremost, at this point I would love to take as much time to be with the kids as possible, this is a conduit to family adventures. As kids change, life changes, we change.
FindingOurNorth is offline   Reply With Quote