Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Family of four, soon to be five - fulltiming is the plan :)

Hi everyone! I used to have a skoolie.net account but it seems to be gone so I made a new one. Back in 2008 or so, I acquired and camperized a short school bus, did some travelling and ended up having to sell it to pay a vet bill. I also lived briefly in a full size, fully converted bus (that did not belong to me, nor did I work on it).

Now, I have a wonderful partner, a step daughter, a 2.5 year old son and a baby on the way. Our lease on our house is up in May and we are fed up with spending so much on rent, so I convinced my partner that it's skoolie time. We live in BC and buses seem to be fairly commonplace, but to find a nice, big, running one for less than $6000 seems to be tricky.

I am going to look at a bus this weekend that has been a burning man bus and has the seats out but not much else done to it. It's the right size for our growing family and it's apperantly driveable, insured and no big issues, so fingers crossed that it's the one!

The plan will go something like: insulate and panel/floor bus right away and get to a point that we can camp out in it for the summer, OR find a (very) cheap RV to live it next to the bus while we work on it. We will be parking on my parents acreage. I have, of course, been drawing up floor plans like crazy (so fun). We will be doing this on a budget, but not skimping on certain things. Basically, the money we now spend on rent will go into the bus instead. We aren't planning on travelling in it, but we do want to be able to move it to new semi-permanent or permanent living spots under it's own power.

Next winter, we will likely get a seasonal rental (in our area, there are lots of vacation rentals that can be had, furnished, for cheap in the winter) as I'm sure we won't be able to live it the bus yet by then (unless I'm way more industrious that I think I am - not likely with a new baby).

I hope to soon post a pic of our new bus

wanderin_blues is offline   Reply With Quote