Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
xciter101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Porterdale, GA
Posts: 18
Coachwork: Thomas?
Feeling so completely lost.

Hello everyone. Looking forward to learning and sharing here as I embark on what maybe a very long project. I'm the excited and somewhat frightened new owner of a 1990 Chevrolet full size school bus, by Thomas. It has the 8.2 GM Diesel and AT.
I got a very good deal but I'm missing a lot of information and hope to fill in some blanks with your help.
My first issue is figuring out my voltage requirement. The batteries were removed but I have two jumpers, each with 3 side post style terminals and then the 2 leads that go inside.
My math tells me that 4 batteries are needed. Is this a 48 volt system? I also have no ignition key so I am looking for some schematics in order to use a universal switch that I already have.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Post Script Note: I do trust that this bus was running when my family friend parked it about 10 years ago but I am really anxious to verify this. LOL
Thanks


Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
bigskypc50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Anaconda,MT
Posts: 118
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Greetings! Looks like you have a heck of a project there! What's your plans for the bus? I am no expert on anything but I have never heard of or seen a 48V system, most I have herd of is 24V. I doubt it's 24V, I would assume someone had 3 or 4 very small 12v batteries wired together in parallel to give you the CCA (cold cranking amps) for a diesel.

With something sitting for 10 years you would need to do a total swap of all of your fuilds, fuel, oil, coolant, trans and check the condition of the rear end pumpkin fuild. What kind of brakes? Wet type will likely need wheel cylinders The wheel bearing seals will likely need to be replaced and I would be suspect of the major seals.

I hope your good deal was almost free, thats a lot stuff to take on before you even convert it.

Not trying to scare you off but trying to realistic, I have dealt with a lot of cars that sat that long and you might be better off finding something fresher.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
xciter101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Porterdale, GA
Posts: 18
Coachwork: Thomas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Greetings! Looks like you have a heck of a project there! What's your plans for the bus? I am no expert on anything but I have never heard of or seen a 48V system, most I have herd of is 24V. I doubt it's 24V, I would assume someone had 3 or 4 very small 12v batteries wired together in parallel to give you the CCA (cold cranking amps) for a diesel.

With something sitting for 10 years you would need to do a total swap of all of your fuilds, fuel, oil, coolant, trans and check the condition of the rear end pumpkin fuild. What kind of brakes? Wet type will likely need wheel cylinders The wheel bearing seals will likely need to be replaced and I would be suspect of the major seals.

I hope your good deal was almost free, thats a lot stuff to take on before you even convert it.

Not trying to scare you off but trying to realistic, I have dealt with a lot of cars that sat that long and you might be better off finding something fresher.
Thanks for the info and I was really expecting 24 volt, with two big batteries, until I started counting terminals. And these look to be a factory set of jumpers. (Maybe not factory for this bus but not sure.)
I really did get a good deal (including an RV that will likely supply many donar parts for this build) and I'm used to handling most of the mechanical issues you've mentioned, just on a smaller scale. It does have wet brakes that are working at this point with minimal leaks, but yes I will need wheel cylinders and some flushing before I put anyone in danger.
I know very little about diesels though but do have some friends that will probably help drink beer and fire her up once I have the power and ignition switch taken care of.
My plans are to make this into a fair weather camper/RV for a few years and not sure after that. Seeing some of these builds from other members makes me want to sell my house and travel the country in a skoolie. It already has been cleared of seats and has insulation and subfloor in place but not glued down yet.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 862
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I am not aware of any school buses that ran on 24 volt systems (at least in the U.S.) I'm willing to bet it's a 12 volt system, the batteries wired in parallel.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
When I added batteries, I went to the recycle yard and found two long copper bars. I built a box big enough for 6 truck batteries, drilled holes in the big copper bars and insulated them, and hooked the batteries up. By wiring correctly one can have extra or switchable bus batteries as well as inverter connections, etc
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
xciter101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Porterdale, GA
Posts: 18
Coachwork: Thomas?

I'm feeling bad about the title of my thread, but worse about not realizing this sooner.
The jumpers I mentioned are indeed made to wire in parallel.
There is a jumper with 3 (+) and a separate jumper with 3 (-)
so what I have here is set up for 4 batteries in parallel.
Again, my first expectation was 24 Volt, (2 12s in series) when I saw the jumpers crammed in the box. My only other multi battery setup prior to this was a 24V Kaiser M715, so I had flashbacks. LOL Then I counted the terminals in my head, while trying to sleep with visions of awesome skoolies in a caravan toward the west coast, and came up with 4 batteries.
Kinda threw me for a loop.

So, now, how many CCAs do I need to turn this 8.2 over,
and I'm about to google this, but how do you calculate multiple batteries' CCA to equal the actual CCA being supplied to the ignition? Really hoping I can do this with 2 batteries, rather than 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I am not aware of any school buses that ran on 24 volt systems (at least in the U.S.) I'm willing to bet it's a 12 volt system, the batteries wired in parallel.
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
xciter101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Porterdale, GA
Posts: 18
Coachwork: Thomas?
I am a scrap yard junkie by birth, I guess. You said copper bars and my hair stood on end. I love that idea but actually have so much spare welder cable and terminals available that I'd have to hold off on looking for bars...for now.
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 11,161
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I'll bet one g31 would start it just fine.
Two would surely do the job.
IDK why anyone would need 4.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
xciter101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Porterdale, GA
Posts: 18
Coachwork: Thomas?
I now understand that you were also leaning at parallel and 12 Volts.
I believe you were correct, as I now see my jumpers are designed for parallel, not series wiring as I first assumed.
Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xciter101 View Post
Thanks for the info and I was really expecting 24 volt, with two big batteries, until I started counting terminals. And these look to be a factory set of jumpers. (Maybe not factory for this bus but not sure.)
I really did get a good deal (including an RV that will likely supply many donar parts for this build) and I'm used to handling most of the mechanical issues you've mentioned, just on a smaller scale. It does have wet brakes that are working at this point with minimal leaks, but yes I will need wheel cylinders and some flushing before I put anyone in danger.
I know very little about diesels though but do have some friends that will probably help drink beer and fire her up once I have the power and ignition switch taken care of.
My plans are to make this into a fair weather camper/RV for a few years and not sure after that. Seeing some of these builds from other members makes me want to sell my house and travel the country in a skoolie. It already has been cleared of seats and has insulation and subfloor in place but not glued down yet.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
xciter101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Porterdale, GA
Posts: 18
Coachwork: Thomas?
While I'm definitely new to a diesel engine, I tend to agree.
Would you all definitely recommend a deep cycle specifically?
Will my bus' charging system charge 2 marine batteries effectively or would I need to trickle it often?
I'm just relieved that it appears to be a 12 Volt system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll bet one g31 would start it just fine.
Two would surely do the job.
IDK why anyone would need 4.
xciter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.