Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Finally Diving In!

Hello Skoolies,

First off, let me say that I'm beyond thrilled to have stumbled across this sight. Seems like an exorbitant amount of Good-hearted, Knowledgeable people. Not only to draw inspiration from, but to also get advice, opinions, service / maintenance information from. I have finally decided to get serious with the specifics of my "Skoolie" that I've had in the back of my minds eye for the past few years. Telling myself "Ehh I'll get around to it." Realizing that if not now, WHEN? That answer would have been never, so here I am. I'm excited to talk with you all and read the plethora of what the site has to offer.

Until then, Safe Travels to anywhere the road leads you.

Taka.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome, Dragon Ball !

You have come to the right place for people passionate about buses.


In 5 years you will be 5 years older, either with or without a bus.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

So tell us about the skoolie in the back of your minds eye.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
This is very true. Hence why I just said “Why not!!!” �� Being a veteran, and an all around nomad even before that (bounced around the country a few times and always been limited on living space) I figured why not just take my house with me. I have a deep love for motor sports and do track days along with go to several events a year, I was looking at building a rig to use to travel with the “race car” coming to the conclusion that since I can tow with a bus to just build a full time RV and tow to tracks wherever they’re having an event that I want to partake in.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome

So tell us about the skoolie in the back of your minds eye.
Well, this is just going off of my "Grand Idea"

I've decided that I would like an International 3800 (DT466) with either a Thomas or BlueBird body from the mid to late 90's. They are plentiful around my area for reasonable money. Parts are easily available, and the drivetrain had many configurations so I can interchange parts to get exactly what I want in terms of power/gearing.

Haven't decided the exact length yet, but it would be on the shorter side. capable of serving 1-2 people full time. with sleeping available for 4 Max.

I was leaning towards something right around the "8 row" size. but am still looking for resource of actual lengths and interior dimensions.

I've seen a few that have the Handicap door towards the front beside the regular door, or somewhat offset of center, it would only be a deal breaker if the door were totally rearward (which I've seen a few of those too). Otherwise no extra door required, the standard front entrance is just fine.

if viewing the interior from the dog house looking rearward, the bed would be along the rear left-hand side with an L-desk to the right rear side. closet after the bed moving forward, bathroom after the desk followed by the galley (to cut down on plumbing). With the dining/seating area taking up the remainder of the forward space.

Roof deck/cargo-rack with ladder on the rear portion of the roof. Solar panels on the remaining forward roof space. Cut-In boxes (I think is what they are called) on the outside for tool storage and equipment, also have a sliding cut-in to house a generator.

How much more detail would you like? I have a VERY detailed grasp on how I want to approach the project, its mainly just finding the SIZE of the bus to convert, and figuring out exactly what I want in the floor plan.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I don't think anybody wants to mess with your floorplan. We like to know what you're looking for so we can help you find what you're looking for.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I don't think anybody wants to mess with your floorplan. We like to know what you're looking for so we can help you find what you're looking for.
Truthfully, Finding the dimensions of the different offered lengths would be most helpful. (I could actually find a picture of the particular bus in question if that would be helpful for those who generally know bus lengths by sight, that could help me narrow down my Googling)

Any site suggestions to view information on appliances?

What area of this site would I find where people have discussed the issues of insulation and condensation?

Any good build threads on here that are a "Must see"? (Besides all of them)
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:47 AM   #8
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
There are limited layouts that work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Truthfully, Finding the dimensions of the different offered lengths would be most helpful. (I could actually find a picture of the particular bus in question if that would be helpful for those who generally know bus lengths by sight, that could help me narrow down my Googling)

Any site suggestions to view information on appliances?
You know, layout is an exercise in frustration. You have something in mind, only to have the bus inform you otherwise.

That great place for the shower? Too bad the fuel tank is directly underneath, preventing drainage. Each bus is a custom & a bit different and you need to lay underneath for a good, long while looking, measuring, and most importantly- modifying your plan.

First, think of a campsite. The water and electricity are usually setup to enter the drivers side. The passenger side is where your table and picinic basket will go, so you will want a nice window on that side.

My bus has a big generator (heavy) underneath on the driver's side. I will want to put anything else heavy on the other side to balance- say my 100 gallons of fresh water. I will want the weight to stay on that side, so my grey water tank will go there, too.

This is where you need to be creative- you want that shower in that location where it can't drain? Put a pump to squirt it over to the grey tank, etc. Need more space, but don't want length? Raise the roof or add second story.

Floorplans

Topics
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,251
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Glad you could join us! Welcome to the site.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Truthfully, Finding the dimensions of the different offered lengths would be most helpful. (I could actually find a picture of the particular bus in question if that would be helpful for those who generally know bus lengths by sight, that could help me narrow down my Googling)

Any site suggestions to view information on appliances?

What area of this site would I find where people have discussed the issues of insulation and condensation?

Any good build threads on here that are a "Must see"? (Besides all of them)
wesellschoolbuses.com is a site Iíve found handy for size comparison. They have the outside and inside length listed for most of the buses they have.
Most of the buses are just short of 7.5í wide I think.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You know, layout is an exercise in frustration. You have something in mind, only to have the bus inform you otherwise.

Each bus is a custom & a bit different and you need to lay underneath for a good, long while looking, measuring, and most importantly- modifying your plan.

First, think of a campsite. The water and electricity are usually setup to enter the drivers side.

My bus has a big generator (heavy) underneath on the driver's side. I will want to put anything else heavy on the other side to balance.

This is where you need to be creative- Need more space, but don't want length? Raise the roof or add second story.

Floorplans

Topics
Forgive me for chopping your post while quoting, (did it for reference points rather then full-sized quote) I've got ample fabrication experience so believe me when I say I understand the frustration aspect to doing custom work lol.

I'm also familiar with campsite layout as two years of my country hopping was in an 80's Collins 5th wheel. (smallest fifth wheel I had ever seen but for $300 I couldn't argue) I intended to have the shore-power, city-water, potable-water-fill, and holding-tank drains on the driver side. While the passenger side will be reserved for the cut-in toolboxes. (and like you mentioned this is all subject to change depending on the actual configuration of the particular busses sub-structure layout.) Weight will certainly be taken into account (building cars for track use, I know how important balance is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Glad you could join us! Welcome to the site.
Thanks, I'm excited to peruse the forum and see all the goodies there are to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRVBUS View Post
wesellschoolbuses.com is a site Iíve found handy for size comparison. They have the outside and inside length listed for most of the buses they have.
Most of the buses are just short of 7.5í wide I think.
Yeah, From what I've read seems that the majority are in fact 7.5' width inside (give or take an inch or two) Thanks for the site recommendation, I'll check it out.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 931
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I can't remember the names of the build threads but there are some here that have bought full length dog nose. The back half had ramps to pull there race car into and a ? Garage door to close it up with a wall separating the garage vehicle from the 2-4 person house.
I have seen some with FAB skills that took the rear cap off and moved it forward to where they wanted there house with enough room inside to secure your tools.
Left the original roof and ribs on the open air toy hauler/garage but it could be left skinned for to storage bins and the only thing to close in would be the house roof that moved transition to the garage roof?
Many options and opportunities for someone with the skills to build exactly what they want. You can put your dream and ideas into action instead of trying to explain to someone what's in your head and how much would that cost.
Yeah a short bus to pull a trailer does have some benefits like you can bend in the middle to park your trailer in a tight spot and you can unhook and take your bus on a grocery run. With a full size either you leave your car unloaded unsecured and take the whole bus,garage with you?
I haven't been around tracks or in the PITS in at least 20 years but when I was? It was a DIRTY world and they would do anything to sabotage you so even a walk to the concession stand to get nachos required a guard.
There are some on here that have done and do what you are thinking.
Can't remember there thread names.
One actually ramped the back of a full size to put his caddy CTS race car in.
Can't remember who?
Just ideas,have fun.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I can't remember the names of the build threads but there are some here that have bought full length dog nose. The back half had ramps to pull there race car into and a ? Garage door to close it up with a wall separating the garage vehicle from the 2-4 person house.
I have seen some with FAB skills that took the rear cap off and moved it forward to where they wanted there house with enough room inside to secure your tools.
Left the original roof and ribs on the open air toy hauler/garage but it could be left skinned for to storage bins and the only thing to close in would be the house roof that moved transition to the garage roof?
Many options and opportunities for someone with the skills to build exactly what they want. You can put your dream and ideas into action instead of trying to explain to someone what's in your head and how much would that cost.
Yeah a short bus to pull a trailer does have some benefits like you can bend in the middle to park your trailer in a tight spot and you can unhook and take your bus on a grocery run. With a full size either you leave your car unloaded unsecured and take the whole bus,garage with you?
I haven't been around tracks or in the PITS in at least 20 years but when I was? It was a DIRTY world and they would do anything to sabotage you so even a walk to the concession stand to get nachos required a guard.
There are some on here that have done and do what you are thinking.
Can't remember there thread names.
One actually ramped the back of a full size to put his caddy CTS race car in.
Can't remember who?
Just ideas,have fun.

Thanks a bunch for the input, and you are pretty much right on the money.

I've seen pictures from people who have "re-segmented" the rears of full length busses. However I want a shorter bus for the exact reason you suspected.
Total tow length laws. (I want to be short enough that I stand NO chance of violating it in ANY state). Ease of maneuverability while backing / parking. While I possess the skills to properly break down the body that way, I have no intention of delving that deep.

Storing event related equipment/tools in belly boxes aren't a security risk either. I'll be building on some extra part that would make it nearly impossible to get into without a key, or waking me up from hearing you banging around on the outside of my bus.

The safety in the Pits isn't an issue for the type of events I participate in. It's simply SCCA, NASA, and similar organization "Track-Days" so its not competitive wheel to wheel. There would be no reason for someone to be a saboteur. In fact most of us share a very familial-esc relationship. we share tools and spare parts if its on hand and someone needs it to be able to finish a weekend. My "Race" car is also still street legal and is simply a mildly modified, road going vehicle. All it has are the proper safety bits to meet the regulations to be allowed on track. and actually serves as my daily driver as of present. I just want to be able to tow behind the bus for the sake of "IF" something happens at the track it can get brought home. And also for the fact that if I go to a multi-day track day out of state, I can stay on campus rather then getting a hotel room.

But thanks again, as all of what you brought up were indeed relevant. I'll soon be starting an actual build thread in the project section. it will be in as much detail as I can muster, with a link to be placed in this thread one its relevant.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Truthfully, Finding the dimensions of the different offered lengths would be most helpful. (I could actually find a picture of the particular bus in question if that would be helpful for those who generally know bus lengths by sight, that could help me narrow down my Googling)
I have a 6 window-long International that is 23' 8" long. The interior, from windshield to rear wall, is 17 feet long.
Wallace.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace.gregory View Post
I have a 6 window-long International that is 23' 8" long. The interior, from windshield to rear wall, is 17 feet long.

Thanks for the measurements! I'll see if I can find the technical drawings for one that short.

RRRVBUS, who suggested that I check out the site "wesellschoolbusses.com" was actually super helpful also. I gave them a call yesterday and asked about some terminologies because trying to find a bus by capacity was leading to some funky google results.

Long story short, after a few minutes on the phone I learned what to call my bus in the search bar and found exactly what I was looking for (including an actual blueprint with every measurement I could have imagined.)

I think I'll be going with a 9 window, the exterior dimensions were 30.41feet bumper to bumper and interior space was 25 feet by 7.5 feet from floor line.
this was ample size for the floor plan I had in mind, and still small enough that id feel comfortable driving it with a trailer in tow.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Where are the lists of bus sizes on that site? I couldn't find them.
It was somewhat hit or miss, some of the busses had it in their nomenclature on the front page. Others it was in the details once you clicked on the photos to actually see the full spread of the particular buss. Once I did a "triangulation" if you will, of their site, Google, and Thomas / Bluebird technical data, I managed to find some solid numbers.

Is there something you were curious of? maybe I could try finding it for you.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,467
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
It was somewhat hit or miss, some of the busses had it in their nomenclature on the front page. Others it was in the details once you clicked on the photos to actually see the full spread of the particular buss. Once I did a "triangulation" if you will, of their site, Google, and Thomas / Bluebird technical data, I managed to find some solid numbers.

Is there something you were curious of? maybe I could try finding it for you.
I was on the wrong site, that's why I deleted my post.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was on the wrong site, that's why I deleted my post.
All good, I was confused for a second and left my reply in case it was a technical error of the inter webs
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×