Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Almost There

Finally Diving In!

Hello Skoolies,

First off, let me say that I'm beyond thrilled to have stumbled across this sight. Seems like an exorbitant amount of Good-hearted, Knowledgeable people. Not only to draw inspiration from, but to also get advice, opinions, service / maintenance information from. I have finally decided to get serious with the specifics of my "Skoolie" that I've had in the back of my minds eye for the past few years. Telling myself "Ehh I'll get around to it." Realizing that if not now, WHEN? That answer would have been never, so here I am. I'm excited to talk with you all and read the plethora of what the site has to offer.

Until then, Safe Travels to anywhere the road leads you.

Taka.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome, Dragon Ball !

You have come to the right place for people passionate about buses.

In 5 years you will be 5 years older, either with or without a bus.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

So tell us about the skoolie in the back of your minds eye.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
Almost There

This is very true. Hence why I just said “Why not!!!” �� Being a veteran, and an all around nomad even before that (bounced around the country a few times and always been limited on living space) I figured why not just take my house with me. I have a deep love for motor sports and do track days along with go to several events a year, I was looking at building a rig to use to travel with the “race car” coming to the conclusion that since I can tow with a bus to just build a full time RV and tow to tracks wherever they’re having an event that I want to partake in.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome

So tell us about the skoolie in the back of your minds eye.
Well, this is just going off of my "Grand Idea"

I've decided that I would like an International 3800 (DT466) with either a Thomas or BlueBird body from the mid to late 90's. They are plentiful around my area for reasonable money. Parts are easily available, and the drivetrain had many configurations so I can interchange parts to get exactly what I want in terms of power/gearing.

Haven't decided the exact length yet, but it would be on the shorter side. capable of serving 1-2 people full time. with sleeping available for 4 Max.

I was leaning towards something right around the "8 row" size. but am still looking for resource of actual lengths and interior dimensions.

I've seen a few that have the Handicap door towards the front beside the regular door, or somewhat offset of center, it would only be a deal breaker if the door were totally rearward (which I've seen a few of those too). Otherwise no extra door required, the standard front entrance is just fine.

if viewing the interior from the dog house looking rearward, the bed would be along the rear left-hand side with an L-desk to the right rear side. closet after the bed moving forward, bathroom after the desk followed by the galley (to cut down on plumbing). With the dining/seating area taking up the remainder of the forward space.

Roof deck/cargo-rack with ladder on the rear portion of the roof. Solar panels on the remaining forward roof space. Cut-In boxes (I think is what they are called) on the outside for tool storage and equipment, also have a sliding cut-in to house a generator.

How much more detail would you like? I have a VERY detailed grasp on how I want to approach the project, its mainly just finding the SIZE of the bus to convert, and figuring out exactly what I want in the floor plan.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I don't think anybody wants to mess with your floorplan. We like to know what you're looking for so we can help you find what you're looking for.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I don't think anybody wants to mess with your floorplan. We like to know what you're looking for so we can help you find what you're looking for.
Truthfully, Finding the dimensions of the different offered lengths would be most helpful. (I could actually find a picture of the particular bus in question if that would be helpful for those who generally know bus lengths by sight, that could help me narrow down my Googling)

Any site suggestions to view information on appliances?

What area of this site would I find where people have discussed the issues of insulation and condensation?

Any good build threads on here that are a "Must see"? (Besides all of them)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
There are limited layouts that work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Truthfully, Finding the dimensions of the different offered lengths would be most helpful. (I could actually find a picture of the particular bus in question if that would be helpful for those who generally know bus lengths by sight, that could help me narrow down my Googling)

You know, layout is an exercise in frustration. You have something in mind, only to have the bus inform you otherwise.

That great place for the shower? Too bad the fuel tank is directly underneath, preventing drainage. Each bus is a custom & a bit different and you need to lay underneath for a good, long while looking, measuring, and most importantly- modifying your plan.

First, think of a campsite. The water and electricity are usually setup to enter the drivers side. The passenger side is where your table and picinic basket will go, so you will want a nice window on that side.

My bus has a big generator (heavy) underneath on the driver's side. I will want to put anything else heavy on the other side to balance- say my 100 gallons of fresh water. I will want the weight to stay on that side, so my grey water tank will go there, too.

This is where you need to be creative- you want that shower in that location where it can't drain? Put a pump to squirt it over to the grey tank, etc. Need more space, but don't want length? Raise the roof or add second story.

Floorplans

Topics
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Glad you could join us! Welcome to the site.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post

What area of this site would I find where people have discussed the issues of insulation and condensation?

Any good build threads on here that are a "Must see"? (Besides all of them)
wesellschoolbuses.com is a site Iíve found handy for size comparison. They have the outside and inside length listed for most of the buses they have.
Most of the buses are just short of 7.5í wide I think.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote